FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Are toiletries a definite brand standard - Waldorf Astorias (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1705338-toiletries-definite-brand-standard-waldorf-astorias.html)

fozziedoggie Aug 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Are toiletries a definite brand standard - Waldorf Astorias

I'm not sure what the official policy is concerning in-house amenities, perhaps someone know for sure:

I just completed a stay at the Arizona Biltmore (Waldorf Astoria), and although we received Salvatore Ferragamo hair products, the bar soaps were definitely not Ferragamo; some generic wrapped pill-pressed rounds that were not luxurious IMHO.

I seem to only encounter this at WA properties, although, most do supply all Ferragamo products. So are they not required to offer Ferragamo products exclusively :confused: I would tend to think there is some sort of marketing agreement between WA and Ferragamo, but maybe not. Wonder if Ferragamo is cool with WA hawking other designer's brands. :td:

MS02113 Aug 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Along the same lines, why do some Hilton properties furnish the full complement of Peter Thomas Roth amenities (i.e., shampoo, conditioner, body cleanser, bar soap, body lotion, mouthwash, dental kit, manicure kit, sewing kit, shoe mitt, shoe horn, etc.) while others provide only the bare minimum (i.e., shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, and body lotion)? I recognize local-level cost-cutting when I see it, of course, but shouldn't corporate be dictating some standards for the flagship full-service brand?

Michael19887 Aug 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 25326476)
I'm not sure what the official policy is concerning in-house amenities, perhaps someone know for sure:

I just completed a stay at the Arizona Biltmore (Waldorf Astoria), and although we received Salvatore Ferragamo hair products, the bar soaps were definitely not Ferragamo; some generic wrapped pill-pressed rounds that were not luxurious IMHO.

Ha! I was there recently too and noticed the same thing. I left a note and tip for housekeeping to get them to leave the Ferragamo body wash.

arlflyer Aug 25, 2015 1:47 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the full line of PTR amenities (shoe horn, etc.) anywhere in the US. I only recall it in Asia.

fozziedoggie Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm

At the rates WA's charge, you would think they could supply the real deal (considering the Biltmore assesses a $28 daily "resort" fee too). :td:

Originally Posted by Michael19887 (Post 25326756)
Ha! I was there recently too and noticed the same thing. I left a note and tip for housekeeping to get them to leave the Ferragamo body wash.

ORDnHKG Aug 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 25326778)
I don't think I've ever seen the full line of PTR amenities (shoe horn, etc.) anywhere in the US. I only recall it in Asia.

Usually in exec. floor rooms and suites.

While I haven't seen a full line in US Hiltons with dental kit, manicure kit, sewing kit, I had definitely seen shoe mitt, shoe horn, those were common items especially for the last switch from C&E La Source.

arlflyer Aug 26, 2015 7:01 am

Really? I feel like I'd own a lot more shoe horns if US rooms had them. I'm usually in exec floor rooms, and I don't think I've ever encountered one...

jsfrSE Aug 26, 2015 4:39 pm

They had the full PTR line last week in my room at the Singapore Hilton. And the size of the items were bigger than what I found in North America.

not2017 Aug 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Maybe you should try a Conrad hotel. They always have Aromatherapy Associates products and if you use the app, one can have the Shanghai Tag, Tara Smith Vegan, or The Refinery products substituted in the bath. Some of the Conrads have left both sets in for us. None are really high end, but better than most hotels use.

MBS MillionMiler Aug 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113 (Post 25326653)
Along the same lines, why do some Hilton properties furnish the full complement of Peter Thomas Roth amenities (i.e., shampoo, conditioner, body cleanser, bar soap, body lotion, mouthwash, dental kit, manicure kit, sewing kit, shoe mitt, shoe horn, etc.) while others provide only the bare minimum (i.e., shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, and body lotion)? I recognize local-level cost-cutting when I see it, of course, but shouldn't corporate be dictating some standards for the flagship full-service brand?

Yeah, the Hilton Guangzhou shed the light to me that there's SO much more than shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap...All of these, and don't forget the PTR-branded loofah, bath salt tablet thingy, and I'm sure even more. I actually bring home the loofahs for my wife...They give me a new one every day!

(This and for many other reasons, the Hilton Guangzhou is by far my favorite regular Hilton brand property in the world).

fozziedoggie Aug 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Love to, but there's only five Conrads in the USA :td:

Originally Posted by not2017 (Post 25333181)
Maybe you should try a Conrad hotel. They always have Aromatherapy Associates products and if you use the app, one can have the Shanghai Tag, Tara Smith Vegan, or The Refinery products substituted in the bath. Some of the Conrads have left both sets in for us. None are really high end, but better than most hotels use.

ILuvParis Aug 26, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm at the Biltmore currently. I was surprised - no body wash, 3/4 bottle of body lotion, shampoo and conditioner and a bar of soap. That's it.

Michael19887 Aug 27, 2015 6:51 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 25334100)
I'm at the Biltmore currently. I was surprised - no body wash, 3/4 bottle of body lotion, shampoo and conditioner and a bar of soap. That's it.

And if your experience is anything like my recent trip, you won't have a robe in your room, won't get turn down without asking numerous times, and housekeeping won't do anything besides make the bed and sometimes take towels unless you leave them a tip with a note and instructions. At least the renovated rooms are nice.

travisw Aug 27, 2015 8:05 am

I have but its certainly been rare

carrotjuice Aug 27, 2015 4:08 pm

At Waldorf NYC they provided the full Ferragamo range with the exception of the bath soap, which was in a WA packaging and eeked strongly of clove.

And strangely, Housekeeping replenished everything except my bath gel bottle throughout the week. But when I asked for replenishment, she grabbed a bunch and handed over to me. Never quite understood why.