FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton {ARG} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1702830-anselmo-buenos-aires-curio-collection-hilton-arg.html)

kyushuman Aug 15, 2015 6:14 am

Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton {ARG}

I think this hotel only opened a few weeks ago, since I see the first review (of two total!) on Trip Advisor is from July 24th.
I'm checking in today as a Gold, so I'll report back how it goes.
Was successful on a BRG for the hotel, as Expedia was offering it for $104 while Hilton was $149. Effective rate with the $50 AMEX gift card post stay makes it $79+ tax, a great rate for Buenos Aires. All rates seem to include breakfast, so I guess the only Gold amenity would be 1K points and a possible upgrade?
Report coming soon!

El_Duderito Aug 15, 2015 6:42 am

Thanks for the heads up. Please report your experience. We've recently stayed at the Curio Hamburg and I believe Hilton should better communicate what the status benefits should be.
Based on feedback I received Curios don't have a lounge so you may only end up with a small upgrade.

kyushuman Aug 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Just checked in. Very happy with the location and vibe in the hotel, but from what I can see it was no upgrade. I'm in a Queen room facing the inner courtyard. Online they have no corner queens or larger rooms for sale, so that's ok, no upgrade because nothing avail.
Question: if all rates seem to include breakfast then would I get the 1,000 point "my way" bonus? It's a choice of breakfast or 1,000 points.

Bowgie Sep 8, 2015 11:12 pm

Update?

Any more info on BA Curio?

I have three days in Buenos Aires beginning the first Sunday in Nov. Arriving just after the antique market in San Telmo shuts down unfortunately. Hilton rate is still $149 for Curio and the regular Hilton is sold-out for some reason.

Anybody pay a hotel by bringing US currency and exchanging for pesos on the blue market?

kyushuman Sep 9, 2015 7:38 pm

A few updates. I ended up being pretty blah/unhappy about the stay, though staff do seem keen to please.

From what I can tell, there is little or no training or knowledge about upgrades in the hotel, based on a friend's experience.
Gym is tiny (I know, you're thinking all hotel gyms are tiny!) but this is the smallest one I've ever seen: a bicycle (looks like a stationary racing bike but with no computer so really just a bike), a treadmill, and a few weights. In a room that's about 2 meters x 7 meters. Really.
Elevators were stuck, open, about 8 inches below the floor level, and I fell in once.
Door handles were not smooth, they were industrial metal/glass. Looked cool until I got a one-inch gash on my thumb from one that wasn't smooth.
No international TV channels.
Decent breakfast but some basics are missing (yogurt), and there is less choice than at a Hampton Inn. Like, breads, fruit, cereal, one cheese, one meat. That's it.
Cheaply built, the walls are simply drywall. You can hear neighboring rooms and also above and below. What were they thinking?
For the price I got it (BRG $79) I was OK--but it's NOT WORTH $149.
Oh and yes you can pay Pesos cash, which discounts the rate around 30%.
Still, I'd keep shopping for other hotels.

Eastbay1K Sep 11, 2015 8:59 am

Who knew (I certainly didn't) that this hotel was right there! My place is a few blocks away and I never noticed it. Anyway, the big caveat for anyone considering a stay is that on Sundays, during the weekly street fair on Defensa, getting to/from the hotel in a vehicle will be pretty much impossible. Defensa is closed from the morning through the early evening. If you are already staying there, getting a taxi within a couple blocks won't be any problem. If you are coming/going with luggage, plan accordingly.

For those who have stayed there, how was the outside noise?

kyushuman Sep 13, 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 25410052)

For those who have stayed there, how was the outside noise?

There is ONE room that faces the square; it's a really cute room with huge windows and a small balcony.... though VERY noisy into the evening hours since groups of people gather and drink some nights in the plaza..... otherwise there is no outside noise because all of the other rooms face the inner courtyard--all rooms are fixed with these opening shutters that, of course, are super noisy (!) so that you can hear people opening and closing them. I stayed one night in a standard room before being moved to the colonial style room.

So actually, "inside noise" from other rooms is the main issue that I had in a standard room.
And broken A/C. And broken elevators.
Not really near much in terms of transit, though on weekdays San Telmo is quite lovely. Locals don't go near ST so much because it's mostly for tourists, my local friends told me. Maybe others differ!

SanDiego1K Oct 6, 2015 9:44 am

Oh, dear, I was hoping to find super positive reports about this hotel. The location appeals. I need a room or rooms for my husband and a friend. I could affordably book 2 C+P rooms here. But this review is not good at all.

Eastbay1K Nov 21, 2015 11:43 am

Clarin (one of the Argentina national newspapers) has a recent article on the hotel.

Conocé el nuevo hotel "secreto" frente a la Plaza Dorrego
(En español only)

brooding Dec 21, 2015 6:12 am

Planning to choose one of the two hilton hotels (curio or Hilton) in Mar 2016. Has anyone noticed any recent improvements to this hotel?
I hope they've fixed some of the teething issues..

Ed Size Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Just been to the Hilton and the Curio.

Curio beats Hilton - no doubt.

Better atmosphere, the staff is way more friendly and the location is for my tourist needs much better. I just don t like these artifical neighborhoods like Puerto Madero.

As a Diamond at the Hilton I got a upgrade to executive floor, at the Curio no room upgrade (and the rooms are tiny) but a voucher for welcome drinks and a bottle of fine Malbec.

brooding Feb 3, 2016 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 26107456)

Better atmosphere, the staff is way more friendly and the location is for my tourist needs much better. I just don t like these artifical neighborhoods like Puerto Madero.

As a Diamond at the Hilton I got a upgrade to executive floor, at the Curio no room upgrade (and the rooms are tiny) but a voucher for welcome drinks and a bottle of fine Malbec.

Sounds good, I'm also staying at both hotels. So I look forward to comparing them!

brooding Feb 3, 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 26107456)

Oh one question I have is how was the breakfast at the Anselmo?

Ed Size Feb 3, 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by brooding (Post 26128740)
Oh one question I have is how was the breakfast at the Anselmo?

I only had breakfast in the lounge at the Hilton so I can t compare really, but for my needs the breakfast at the Anselmo was quite OK - good coffee and the staff really cared. Selection of food was better then the average Argentina selection - they even managed it to make me fresh eggs - but I guess that was more a misunderstanding. The setting of the breakfast area is quite modern I liked it there. For me breakfast is more about atmosphere and coffee and that was perfect.

cruisr Feb 7, 2016 8:43 am

I really liked this property. I met the GM when I asked her a question, not realizing she was the GM. She sat down and chatted while I was enjoying my complimentary glass of wine, which I got as a Diamond member. Also had a fruit basket and a full bottle of Malbec in my room on arrival.

The location is perfect being smack in the middle of San Telmo. You walk it the hotel door to the Plaza (where the Sunday market is) and you have all the antique stores, galleries and restaurants you can poss lay want to visit.

The room was very comfy and looked over the inner courtyard and it was very quiet. I slept thru breakfast so can't comment on that

I would book this property over the Hilton in a heart beat. No exec. Lounge at the Anselmo so that is the only trade off and I think it's worth staying a the Anselmo even without the lounge.