Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:43 am
cjd

Originally Posted by hugolover
The suites look great. When I stayed there last the suite had no furniture except a chair in the middle of the room.

Can you use the balcony?
Sorry, forgot to mention that the balcony doors were still locked. When I asked about this, they said they were shortly getting checked with regard to safety and if approved then guests should be able to use the balconies.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Great hotel

Stayed 2 nights during the Royal Highland Show - really friendly check-in staff - happy and helpful ! Rooms are great - large with proper king size bed and decent size bathroom with plenty of amenities.
I counted 10 spare sockets plus at least 6 USB charging points - with both being available both sides of the bed. Breakfast was good, as was the restaurant with good food both in quantity and quality and at a very sensible price. Easy bus ride outside the hotel to/from the airport - and also many buses direct into Edinburgh city. Will definitely stay again. Views over the bridges are wonderful, and there is plenty of parking available if required. Wifi was also fast.

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
A truly lovely hotel. The room and bathroom were very large and looked new, modern and fresh. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. I'd definitely stay here again.
chrism20 and wizla like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Quick question:
Do diamond usually gets suite upgrade or general upgrade here?
Staying here Dec 28 - Jan 2
I know its going to be busy but hope some nights are upgraded
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Quick question:
My experience is they will upgrade you as best as they can but it's probably best to bear in mind that they have four suites in total. I've been upgraded to a suite on a couple of stays but normally it has been a deluxe with view which to be honest are huge.

Given the time of year I will be surprised if the hotel isn't full 31st and 1st by the time your stay comes around.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:55 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Quick question:
As stated by chrism20, they do tend to upgrade from a standard room to a deluxe with river view. We only got upgraded to a suite for our 2nd night due to problems with our upgraded river view room on our first night. Looking at your dates, it would appear that the suites are, not surprisingly, all booked.

Last edited by cjd; Oct 14, 2018 at 3:00 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
As stated by chrism20, they do tend to upgrade from a standard room to a deluxe with river view. We only got upgraded to a suite for our 2nd night due to problems with our upgraded river view room on our first night. Looking at your dates, it would appear that the suites are, not surprisingly, all booked.

Thanks guys!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

Hi guys! thank you for sharing your experiences at this property. I'm doing a road trip around Scotland and ending the trip at Edinburgh. I'm staying at this property for 3 nights (managed to get a good rate) and will be heading into Edinburgh city for 2 days. Will it be more cost-efficient to leave the car in the hotel and take the bus into the city (GBP 4.50 single?) or to drive into the city? How crazy are the parking prices?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Hi guys! thank you for sharing your experiences at this property. I'm doing a road trip around Scotland and ending the trip at Edinburgh. I'm staying at this property for 3 nights (managed to get a good rate) and will be heading into Edinburgh city for 2 days. Will it be more cost-efficient to leave the car in the hotel and take the bus into the city (GBP 4.50 single?) or to drive into the city? How crazy are the parking prices?

Thanks in advance!
I’ve been to Edinburgh a couple of times and don’t remember parking being crazy expensive but I’m from London where it is.
I can almost assure you the bus option would be cheaper and easier as you won’t have to worry about finding a space and also loosing your space at the hotel upon returning...oh and you will be free to try the Scottish whisky........ obviously if you drive you can’t.......just a thought.
nunogomes likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by nunogomes

Thanks in advance!
Parking in Edinburgh will cost you between £1.20 and £4.50 an hour depending on where you park (the £1.20 being on the edge of the pay to park areas of the city).

What I would recommend is driving to Ingliston Park & Ride and taking the tram from there to town. The P&R from the hotel is less than fifteen minutes if you get a clear run and the day ticket will cost you £4 which allows travel on the trams and all Lothian Buses.

The frequency of the trams is every 5-10 mins depending on the time of day so it really is a turn up and go service.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by wizla
I’ve been to Edinburgh a couple of times and don’t remember parking being crazy expensive but I’m from London where it is.
I can almost assure you the bus option would be cheaper and easier as you won’t have to worry about finding a space and also loosing your space at the hotel upon returning...oh and you will be free to try the Scottish whisky........ obviously if you drive you can’t.......just a thought.
Thanks for the tip mate. Great point on trying out Scottish whisky. Will definitely take this option one of the days.

Originally Posted by chrism20
Parking in Edinburgh will cost you between £1.20 and £4.50 an hour depending on where you park (the £1.20 being on the edge of the pay to park areas of the city).

What I would recommend is driving to Ingliston Park & Ride and taking the tram from there to town. The P&R from the hotel is less than fifteen minutes if you get a clear run and the day ticket will cost you £4 which allows travel on the trams and all Lothian Buses.

The frequency of the trams is every 5-10 mins depending on the time of day so it really is a turn up and go service.
Wow, this tip is gold! Thanks loads!
wizla likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Staying here soon, what’s the restaurant like?
Can’t see any menu on the hotel website.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Staying here soon, what’s the restaurant like?
Can’t see any menu on the hotel website.
Nice setting for the restaurant and I really like the bar here.

Restaurant menu below. Eaten there twice and it was decent enough, definitely a significant step up from dough&co. Lots of emphasis on fish and seafood due to the location.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/afa31...84bda30348.pdf

https://www.theshore-queensferry.co.uk/food
Old May 24, 2019, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20

Nice setting for the restaurant and I really like the bar here.

Restaurant menu below. Eaten there twice and it was decent enough, definitely a significant step up from dough&co. Lots of emphasis on fish and seafood due to the location.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/afa31...84bda30348.pdf

https://www.theshore-queensferry.co.uk/food
Thanks!

Looks fine to me.
Just remembered this is a Cairn Property, did anything ever materialise on a new loyalty scheme?

Seem to remember there being a card issued at the Newcastle airport doubletree giving 10% off, that then finished before I could get my hands on one.

Last edited by adobbing; May 24, 2019 at 12:41 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by adobbing

Thanks!

Looks fine to me.
Just remembered this is a Cairn Property, did anything ever materialise on a new loyalty scheme?

Seem to remember there being a card issued at the Newcastle airport doubletree giving 10% off that then finished before I could get my hands on one.
I don’t think the Scottish properties were ever included in the discount card. Think it was all the Newcastle bars/hotels and Scotch Corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.