Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Points+Money

Booked for next year, handy to stay here after getting back from a long haul flight before drive north.

£32+12000HH pts, reasonable value.

If you're using the Airport but not wanting to wait around for a bus then also of use is this, £34 for 2 weeks on Terminal parking...

www.planeparking.co.uk
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
I noticed on a recent walk over the bridge the new extension here is looking very close to completion...wonder when it's due to open properly as a DT?

Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
I noticed on a recent walk over the bridge the new extension here is looking very close to completion...wonder when it's due to open properly as a DT?
From what I've heard the bedrooms were pretty much finished and it's only snagging left with those. They seem to be selling a bigger range of rooms online now including suites which are apparently on the top floor of the new wing so some of it is operational by the look of it.

Apparently still a bit of work to be done in the meetings/function spaces.

I'm guessing the changeover to a full DT can't be long now.

Still think they missed a trick by not making the restaurant a Fratello's though.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by chrism20
From what I've heard the bedrooms were pretty much finished and it's only snagging left with those. They seem to be selling a bigger range of rooms online now including suites which are apparently on the top floor of the new wing so some of it is operational by the look of it.

Apparently still a bit of work to be done in the meetings/function spaces.

I'm guessing the changeover to a full DT can't be long now.

Still think they missed a trick by not making the restaurant a Fratello's though.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

"Still think they missed a trick by not making the restaurant a Fratello's though."
This. Fratello's is great, one of the best Hilton restaurants I've eaten in. I suppose it still could happen, or have they already opened the new restaurant (I've not been here for a few months)?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:44 am

I stayed there for 3 nights over the last weekend in May.

Stayed in a bedroom in the new wing which was nice and spacious - 2 complimentary bottles of water in each room, regardless of status.

The bar and restaurant area is looking good.

The reception area, lifts and other public areas still need some work.

I overheard some chatter between staff and a guest which suggested that the work was expected to finish in August and the re-brand would then take place.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:16 am

Can't be long now until the official changeover.

All the signage is now uncovered when I passed at 6am this morning on the way to Perth.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Press update today.
Explains why there will be no Fratellos!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...-hotel-revamp/

The Newcastle-based Cairn Hotel Group has unveiled the Shore Grill & Fish House at The Queensferry Hotel.

The Shore is the latest venue from the creators of the award-winning Twenty Princes Street and Juniper cocktail bar in Edinburgh.

Ceiling to floor windows take full advantage of the views of the new Queensferry Crossing.

Other distinguishing features include a carved wooden ceiling which nods to The Shore’s maritime location and brass details which pay homage to the world famous bridges on its doorstep.

In addition to the new restaurant and bar, the Cairn Hotel Group has undertaken a complete refurbishment of the existing hotel including the addition of 64 new bedrooms, the creation of a new function suite and a new double height reception area.

Work on these areas is nearing completion and the hotel is due to be re-launched as the Double Tree by Hilton Edinburgh Queensferry Crossing in the autumn, with the Cairn Hotel Group retaining ownership and management of the property.

General manager Stuart Douglas said: “We are really excited about The Shore and our launch is well timed to capitalise on the huge influx of visitors that the opening of the Queensferry Crossing will attract.

“The new restaurant and the hotel’s rebrand as a Double Tree by Hilton in the next few months will be hugely positive for the local area and the substantial investment reflects our belief in the potential of the hotel.

“We are confident that the new restaurant and investment in the hotel facilities will have a wide appeal to both locals and visitors to the area, capitalising on the hotel’s unrivalled location and views of the Forth and the bridges.

“Our investment is also good news for the local economy, as we anticipate employing over 100 people when work is complete, and we will be investing heavily in marketing to ensure that it becomes established as a leading venue.”
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:24 pm

Twin rooms?

Does anyone know if there are rooms with two beds here?

I've looked at random dates for months ahead and can't find any. My mum has asked me to book it for a night away for her and her sister but I can't seem to find any availability.

Anyone here have any idea before I contact the hotel direct?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
What is the best way to get to/from the airport please (no car and no luggage)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by holmedown
What is the best way to get to/from the airport please (no car and no luggage)
The 747 bus is probably your best bet. It stops near the hotel and you would need to walk the last five/ten minutes or so.

The other option is taking the tram to Edinburgh Gateway station then a train to North Queensferry or inverkeithing then either walk or taxi from there. This option is much more expensive and longer as it's multiple changes but you can get a through rail ticket from the airport to North Queensferry or inverkeithing which allows you onto the tram - there is a railway ticket machine in the domestic arrivals if you decide on that option although I would stick to the 747 as it's pretty much door to door and is fairly frequent.

With the new road bridge being open the roads are a bit busier than normal so the journey might take a bit longer but things are starting to settle down now.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos...gh-airport-bus
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Staying here this weekend with the family and was pre-upgraded to a River view suite a few days ago, which I have checked in online for now as well.

Will try to come back with a few thoughts and photos from the stay to keep this thread up to date.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tell us if the balconies are still out of action. I stayed in one of those suites just after the bridge opened and they told me that none of the them can be used due to wind speed being a H&S issue.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Will do. Probably won't be much use for a balcony this weekend with the weather forecast as it is, but will investigate and let you know!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:31 am
cjd

View from the hotel

Sitting area in suite

Bathroom in suite

Bedroom in suite

Following our stay at the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton and a day in Edinburgh, we headed over to the Doubletree. Sat Nav on my car has not been updated recently and it tried to direct us across the Forth Road Bridge instead of the new Queensferry Crossing! Came round the roundabout to see the sign saying only buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians allowed across now. Quick manoeuvre to go round again and this time across the correct bridge. Coming north across the Queensferry Crossing, the Doubletree is clearly visible on the hillside on the right hand side. Follow the exit signs for North Queensferry onto the B981 brings you the hotel where there was ample free parking.

Booked a King room and was upgraded to King Deluxe with River View in the new wing. Room was very new and modern with a comfortable bed, fridge and full height windows. The bathroom had a walk in shower, but as is often the case these days,no shower door. there was a choice of rain shower or hand held shower. No riser rail for the hand held shower, only a low down fixed bracket.

Upon check in, we were given a voucher for 2 complimentary drinks from the bar. Our rate included breakfast and dinner on the first night and the dinner was taken in the Shore restaurant. The inclusive dinner was from a 3 course menu or there was an allowance of 25 pounds off the a la carte menu. We had the 3 courses and it was very nice and good value. Breakfast had a limited choice but again, no complaints. The restaurant is very pleasant and has great views of the river and the 2 road bridges.

Following some water problems the next morning, we had to move rooms and were upgraded to one of the new junior suites. These are in the new wing above the reception area and are large rooms. Ours was 352 and was a corner suite with great views of the bridges and river. It had a massive bathroom with a large walk in shower and separate free standing bath tub. I have attached some photos and think this is one of the larger rooms in the hotel.

Following a day exploring Stirling and Crieff, we returned and had dinner again in the restaurant. This time off the a la carte menu, my wife having the mussels and me the steak. Meals were delicious. Hotel was quieter on the Sunday, our second night. Really enjoyed our stay as all the staff were very friendly and nothing was a problem to them. Our one problem with the water was dealt with very efficiently and they couldn't have been nicer.

Last edited by cjd; Apr 26, 2018 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The suites look great. When I stayed there last the suite had no furniture except a chair in the middle of the room.

Can you use the balcony?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.