FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1699394-choose-hotel-solely-because-room-toiletries.html)

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 6:50 am

Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries?

It's a toss between various Hiltons, Doubletrees or Waldorf Astoria for my coming trip to NYC. I gathered I'm here on a business trip where most of the time would be spent in the office or out with clients, taxi and meals are paid for by the company, and Diamond status doesn't mean much anyway as most NYC hotels don't have lounges.

Inclined to go for Waldorf Astoria instead of the other Hilton properties solely because it provides Ferragamo branded toiletries which I can bring back for home use after a week's hectic travel, instead of the run-of-the-mill stuff at other Hiltons.

Is this the right decision? Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

travisw Aug 1, 2015 7:16 am

I dislike Aroma Active, Doubletree's new line, so if there is a choice of hotels, I will always choose a non-Doubletree hotel going forward

Cymro Aug 1, 2015 7:27 am

I wouldn't choose solely based on toiletries but if location, cost, and quality of the property aren't issues (and I can see why they wouldn't be in NY, where different brands cover some very different properties) then sure.

Of course the Waldorf rates would have to be exceptional to make it work and I'd personally find it difficult to justify the Waldorf over others (although I once booked the Sheraton on Park Lane for less than the Ibis my corporate travel suggested...)

Miesque Aug 1, 2015 7:36 am

Originally Posted by travisw (Post 25205495)
I dislike Aroma Active, Doubletree's new line, so if there is a choice of hotels, I will always choose a non-Doubletree hotel going forward

I agree they are really, really bad. I preferred the Crabtree & Evelyn and Neutrogena prior

Miesque Aug 1, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 25205407)
It's a toss between various Hiltons, Doubletrees or Waldorf Astoria for my coming trip to NYC. I gathered I'm here on a business trip where most of the time would be spent in the office or out with clients, taxi and meals are paid for by the company, and Diamond status doesn't mean much anyway as most NYC hotels don't have lounges.

Inclined to go for Waldorf Astoria instead of the other Hilton properties solely because it provides Ferragamo branded toiletries which I can bring back for home use after a week's hectic travel, instead of the run-of-the-mill stuff at other Hiltons.

Is this the right decision? Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

I had one two night stay about 3 years ago at the Waldorf Astoria New York and I thought it was relative dump to what you would expect and personally thought it should have its Waldorf name removed after that stay. Would much prefer staying at the Hilton Times Square if I have to stay midtown regardless of toiletries (usually am down at the Conrad and I am actually like Aromatherapy Associates, which I know some are not keen on).

I would like to point out that those Ferragamo toiletries are ok, but nothing to be making hotel decisions on and the size is definitely on the small size. I have a stay at Waldorf Astoria Chicago in two weeks and the last thing I am looking forward to in my stay in the toiletries. :D (And by the way, THAT is a real Waldorf)

cblaisd Aug 1, 2015 7:47 am

Has anyone made conscious hotel choices based on the type of toiletries they provide?

Never.

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 16465454)
I couldn't tell you what soaps/shampoos/goo are at any HHonors property. Soap is soap and shampoo is shampoo. Yes, I'm a philistine.

Weatherboy Aug 1, 2015 7:55 am

Quality of breakfast offering is 1st, then type of bathroom amenities is second for me. I have picked places to stay just for the brand of shampoo/soaps they have in the past. It doesn't happen often, but it does.

KENNECTED Aug 1, 2015 8:31 am

Never think about it as I bring and use my own toiletries.

I'll occasionally use a properties hand lotion.

carrotjuice Aug 1, 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 25205566)
(usually am down at the Conrad and I am actually like Aromatherapy Associates, which I know some are not keen on).

Conrad would've been my first choice not because of the Aromatherapy Associates which I dislike (I generally find anything with lavender to smell rather metallic hence off putting) - but the Shanghai Tang toiletries which are divine!

Unfortunately Conrad is also the only Hilton in NYC that isn't a corporate hotel for my company.

BrlDsguise Aug 1, 2015 10:11 am

I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.

Willi90 Aug 1, 2015 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 25206058)
I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.

+1

KENNECTED Aug 1, 2015 11:29 am

I would agree. In addition there are luxury hilton properties in NYC like the Waldorf=Astoria and the Conrad.

Spock Seat Aug 1, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 25205543)
I agree they are really, really bad. I preferred the Crabtree & Evelyn and Neutrogena prior

Me too. One of the main reasons I chose Hiltons, HGIs, and Conrads were for these toiletries, over other brands when I first started eons ago.

HGI: Neutrogena
Hilton: Crabtree and Evelyn. (I loved the aroma from that blue stuff.....Hilton Narita used to give a foamy shaving cream that had a awesome stingy feeling too).
Conrad: Elemis. (Now I choose Shanghai Tang over the other one.).
Conrad Tokyo: Acca Kappa (Love this stuff)

Hope they return to what I listed above. I don't like that Paul Thomas stuff used in many Hiltons (which replaced the Crabtree and Evelyn).

scubaccr Aug 1, 2015 2:06 pm

Sounds a bad move to decide purely on toiletries. I am sure you can carry a few of your favourite hotel toiletries that you did not use on earlier stays and gradually accumulated.

Most companies give/set per diem per day and that isn't meant to cover ones breakfast or lunch, and room rate should be room only (I can't book a breakfast rate type) just evening meal with wine, so for me even as HHD I give WA a miss as breakfast is not given to me as a benefit.

I tend to choose hotels for ease of getting to the work location in the morning, of course in NYC several hotels will be very acceptably located in which case local shops/restaurants guide my choice.

Kacee Aug 1, 2015 3:15 pm

+1
I'm having difficulty taking this thread seriously.

Oh, and the Ferragamo toiletries are gross. Way too heavily perfumed. As are most of the designer label brands. Designer label does not generally indicate a high quality product.