Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choose hotel solely because of the in room toiletries?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I wouldn't let the little bottles be my deciding factor, but the Park City Waldorf has the best assortment of bathroom-whatnot in the Hilton family. I admit I asked for extras and used everything liberally. Bath salts, conditioner, lotion, body wash, etc... can't remember the brand, it's their own in-house spa brand stuff. It's been a while since I've been there, hope they're still using it.

Sigh. Park City is too pricey.

Maybe an off-season stay to replenish my little bottles.

TDM
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.
I'm sure what you're suggesting is worse... that one has to travel for business yet hop out to a Duane Reade to buy own toiletries?!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I'm sure what you're suggesting is worse... that one has to travel for business yet hop out to a Duane Reade to buy own toiletries?!
I can't imagine traveling to NYC and not going to Duane Reade for something. They are on virtually every block and typically open 24/7.

But of course to each their own
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Most companies give/set per diem per day and that isn't meant to cover ones breakfast or lunch, and room rate should be room only (I can't book a breakfast rate type) just evening meal with wine, so for me even as HHD I give WA a miss as breakfast is not given to me as a benefit.
That's true. I'm aware that WA doesn't provide breakfast even for HHD. But I also notice that those of us with hotel status tend to stick to hotels that provide breakfast more than anything else... this causes another issue - over eating! - when there's a vast buffet spread in front of you every morning during the trip. While I'm pretty sure over eating at breakfast isn't something one normally does back at home.

Which is why I don't let breakfast sway my decision but choice of toiletries that I can bring home and have the rest of my family enjoy as well.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Five minutes in Duane Reade beats adding 10 - 15 minutes to your cab or subway ride twice a day because the WA or Conrad is farther from your office.

Last edited by BrlDsguise; Aug 1, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:03 pm

I'm not sure what is worse, basing your stay on toiletries when Manhattan has a Duane Reade every other block or posting on the internet and asking strangers to validate this choice.
It's certainly a filter I've never thought about using myself when deciding where to stay but at the end of the day everyone's needs/thoughts etc are different I suppose.

Normally location (how far from where I need to be), standard of property (time since last refresh etc), quality of food/service, facilities are the deciding factors for me.

Tbh the contents (or lack of) in those little bottles is so ridiculous I'm surprised that this is what is being used to decide but as I said not everyone thinks the same way or uses the same criteria.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Exactly. But we all do select Doubletrees for the cookies, right guys?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Motel 6 is missing a fantastic marketing angle here. Just provide $2 worth of fancy soap, etc., and pull those $300/night guests from the big chains. Brilliant!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:33 pm

+1.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Yes to each her own... distance to office, property newness, convenience to public transport, nearby restaurants, breakfast are all viable factors. But once you factor in the cost of these (branded) toiletries, it throws in another viable factor for some like myself.

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40. Likewise the Aesop range offered at Park Hyatts. And some hotels' housekeeping accommodate requests to replenish twice daily if asked. This equates to US$80 per day to offset your room cost or as 'benefit' for being away from your family that you can take home and enjoy together.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Never.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Yes to each her own... distance to office, property newness, convenience to public transport, nearby restaurants, breakfast are all viable factors. But once you factor in the cost of these (branded) toiletries, it throws in another viable factor for some like myself.

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40. Likewise the Aesop range offered at Park Hyatts. And some hotels' housekeeping accommodate requests to replenish twice daily if asked. This equates to US$80 per day to offset your room cost or as 'benefit' for being away from your family that you can take home and enjoy together.
Are your family all wearing hotel-branded slippers and robes too? Surely these must also be a "viable factor" then?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

The full suite of Shanghai Tang toiletries from Conrad retails at US$40.
I don't care what the retail is, you couldn't pay me to use that stuff. Too heavily perfumed.

Price and/or designer label do not equal quality.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Have an upcoming stay at a DoubleTree - what's wrong with their Aroma Active? Too heavily perfumed?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Are your family all wearing hotel-branded slippers and robes too? Surely these must also be a "viable factor" then?
Nope we don't use those in our home. That's why, to each his or her own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.