Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

5 base points per dollar at Home2 Suites

Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

I just had my first and last stay @ Home2 suites since base points are 50% what the other hilton chains I normally stay at. (HHonors confirmed in email that this is the correct rate at Home2)

I was looking at their website trying to determine what the other new subbrands reward per spent, but didn't see it.

My goal is simply to determine up front which Hilton brands to AVOID at all costs. Home2 is now at the top of that list.

Do any other brands pay just 5 pts per $ instead of 10?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Refer to second #1 listed (mid-page), under "some exceptions apply"

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...ing/index.html
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
The other major chains handle their extended stay properties the same way. When I questioned why years ago,I was told it was because they offered extra amenities at a good room rate,so only 1/2 the points. From that point on, unless unavoidable by location needs, I earn at properties that give the full 10 points and redeem at the extended stay ones.

My perspective is that a $ spent is a $ spent,regardless of property type,and earning rate should reflect it.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
They do a good job of hiding that. I kinda liked and disliked the Home2.

Things I liked:
  • Compact suite has everything one might need for an extended stay
  • Interesting breakfast where options like omelets are precooked, but stored cold with easy reheating
  • A decent store with a variety of snacks
  • Decent workout room
  • A real shower

Things I didn't care for:
  • Uncomfortable mattress -- not the super comfy Serta
  • All Pepsi products...
  • Pool is a good idea, but too small for laps so why bother at a business hotel?
  • Noisy AC. I'd cool the room way down, then shut it off so I could sleep
  • Cut rate base points
  • Like every other chain like this breakfast starts at 6am so if you have an early flight your SoL.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:10 pm

I really like this product, but mostly avoid it due to the points and miles issue. Too bad, but if it's working for them and the hotels are full, more power to them. I just won't be there.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I like Home2 when on vacation with the family (especially when using points!) but yeah the 0.5x point accumulation is a big turn off for business stays.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good hotel

I too had an opportunity some weeks ago to stay my 1st time at this new brand.

What I like
- fresh concept with simple and functional tools and layout
- breakfast variety is good and at least they do use real plates and not the throw away ones
- at least from the property that I stayed in - a rather good hote with a practice in keeping the 'green' credentials
- good kitchen with sufficient tools and utensils to do simple cooking
- fridge is of sufficient size

Only dislike is the points awarded. I too try to avoid these places (although at times I really do like to have a kitchen for use for long stays). I do try to get at least a full point property with a microwave- I can at least do something if I don't want to eat out.

In my opinion, this is one of the better long stay brand even compared to Residence Inn or Indigo or Staybridge Suite.

Cheers!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm going to give it a try for one night prior to an early-ish flight out of SEA after a conference (rest of the stay at the Homewood Suites Pike St/Convention Center) but I'll probably also avoid it on paid stays because of the reduced earnings. What I really worry about these properties is how they will hold up once they start to age... I have a feeling the IKEA aesthetic and build quality won't weather well and these will be quite run-down in 4-5 years.

I'm really MUCH more interested in how the Canopy brand fares once it starts to build-out. Many of the mid-high level properties in the Hilton portfolio are getting stodgy and uninteresting, while there's at least some life with Home2 in the low-end and the aspirational properties always seem to remain interesting. Seeing some life infused into the mid-high and in a package interesting to someone in their early 30s who's not quite hip enough for Aloft is quite interesting.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by doglover
base points are 50% what the other hilton chains I normally stay at
To avoid unless no better alternatives (any chain).

Was going to book at Home2Suites Charlotte Airport until I saw this. Now will book SpringHill Suites instead.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

Tru also awards five points per eligible dollar

Originally Posted by doglover
I just had my first and last stay @ Home2 suites since base points are 50% what the other hilton chains I normally stay at. (HHonors confirmed in email that this is the correct rate at Home2)

I was looking at their website trying to determine what the other new subbrands reward per spent, but didn't see it.

My goal is simply to determine up front which Hilton brands to AVOID at all costs. Home2 is now at the top of that list.

Do any other brands pay just 5 pts per $ instead of 10?
Tru is currently the other Hilton brand that awards five points instead of ten per dollar spent. There are currently 400+ of them under construction or in late stage planning.

From Honors T&C:

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/t..._style_options
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I think this is similar to some limited service Marriott properties like Town Place Suites (one of few brands I've never stayed at), or limited service IHG like Candlewood Suites, they do not award the same amount of points as you'd get staying at even a Fairfield Inn or a Holiday Inn Express.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Tougher to swallow during Hilton's (seemingly endless) double points promotion. The only time I stayed at one was at a place that would offer a $50/12K C + P combination, where I was willing to forgo the points back when those got nothing anyway. The room was okay, but the breakfast selection was like a gas station convenience store.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I hate that Hilton is now penalizing people for staying at certain brands. This is one of the things that used to distinguish them from Marriott, and one reason I originally began staying at HH so long ago.

I'm not a big fan of Home2 Suites. The entire concept feels cheap to me - both rooms and common areas. The room rates *aren't* rock-bottom cheap. I was supposed to spend two nights in one in Sioux Falls - canceled the 2nd night and turned it into an HGI, which was substantially better at the exact same price point (and normal HH earnings). Sorry, I don't want to have to microwave my breakfast at a hotel. Did that enough in college years ago...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I just finished my first stay at a Home2 in Conway, AK

The room, I felt was odd. I get the concept and for an extended say, I am sure it makes sense. For a one or two nigher, there was a Hampton and HGI within the same complex.

Tonight I will be more comfortable at the HGI.

I've tried it...probably won't again.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
I hate that Hilton is now penalizing people for staying at certain brands.
The earnings structure here has been in place for a while. I like that they have kitchens and tableware for preparing food. Hampton Suites and HGI are just a small microwave and mini-refrigerator, and although I'm not a true snob, I don't really like drinking wine out of paper cups. Still, H2S prices aren't usually competitive enough to book them, paying out-of-pocket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.