Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Charging a Deposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hhonors Diamond, Avis Whatever
Hotel Charging a Deposit

I thought I'd seen all the permutations of random Hilton rate/cancellation policies, but this one is new. I booked a two night stay on a refundable rate (can cancel within 72 hours of the stay). Nothing too unusual there.

However, I realized that they charged my credit card for one night of the stay. it's still about two weeks out. It wasn't an advanced purchase rate and it's not a hold (I saw it as a hold and thought it would stay that way but lo and behold today it's gone all the way through). When I looked back again at the terms, it says that a deposit is required.

Anyone encounter this before? I checked all of their rates and it seems that they require a deposit for all of them (including the best available rate). There's a slim chance I might change my mind on the hotel, so I'm hoping if I do cancel I'll get my money back without too much hassle.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:44 pm

I've had this a couple of times. I associate it with resort-type hotels (whether technically "resort" or not). Hilton Hawaiian Village, perhaps?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hhonors Diamond, Avis Whatever
It's a DoubleTree in St. Augustine, FL, so I don't think it's a resort but is nearer to the tourist areas I suppose.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also a similar experience at the DT St Augustine:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24239055-post10.html
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annelin

Anyone encounter this before? I checked all of their rates and it seems that they require a deposit for all of them (including the best available rate). There's a slim chance I might change my mind on the hotel, so I'm hoping if I do cancel I'll get my money back without too much hassle.
Yes, this happens all of the time in Las Vegas. You will get your deposit back. You may need to call the hotel and not just cancel through the website.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
The Hilton Riverside in New Orleans charged a one night deposit both times I made reservations there. The first time I had to cancel the day of arrival due to a medical issue and the Diamond line agent who handled the cancellation very nicely arranged without my asking for me to get the deposit back despite it being past the deadline.

The second time I changed my reservation to a more expensive room online and was pleased to see that the system charged just the difference between the 2 room rates plus tax as an additional deposit. So sometimes Hilton's IT system does it right.

Since New Orleans is a big vacation destination I can understand the hotel wanting to get a deposit. The deposit may discourage people from making reservations unless they are serious about staying there.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Yes, this happens all of the time in Las Vegas.
Yep, I encountered this on a regular AAA rate at one of the HGVCs in Vegas. Not a big deal.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Becoming more and more common.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:49 pm

Grand Wailea took the full amount as a deposit on a refundable two night stay. They did refund it when I canceled.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:57 pm

What does your reservation say? I did a dummy booking for arrival two weeks from today. The following text was included on the "rate details" section:

"Guarantee Policy
This reservation requires a credit card deposit of $183.92 USD which will be charged to your card.

Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel, please do so 72 hours prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties."
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:29 am

Reviving an old thread here, but will Hilton charge only the REMAINING balance after the deposit or will the deposit be refunded but your room charges will be completed in full after the stay? I ask because I'm trying to hit an AMEX deal with Hilton and it required $200 total, but if Hilton's deposit of half is taken off that final charge, I'm not sure I will have completed the stipulations of this AMEX deal.

Any help appreciated!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Admittedly I have no first hand experience, but it would make sense to charge the balance rather than to refund and make a new charge for the full amount.

Do keep in mind that credit card transactions are not free for vendors.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I have never heard of a property doing anything other than charging the balance due. Both for the obvious interchange fee reason and also because it largely defeats the purpose of a deposit.

That said, you might find a helpful person at the property who would do this for you during your stay.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:46 am

Hm, thanks for the input. I wonder given the wording (see image below) where it says "you must spend a total of $200 or more at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio," do you guys think I'll be good to hit this requirement if Hilton charged the $100-some deposit now and the remaining $100-some after my stay?

Thank you.

http://imgur.com/a/CFnYS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.