Wiki Posts
Search

HGI Mattresses

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
HGI Mattresses

I thought at one point, those horrific "sleep number" beds were supposed to be tossed into the dumpster. I'm barely find any HGI properties that have done so. What are ya'll seing?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cop35758
I thought at one point, those horrific "sleep number" beds were supposed to be tossed into the dumpster. I'm barely find any HGI properties that have done so. What are ya'll seing?
I still see them. I hate those mattresses. I like the HGI properties except for the mattresses. I would love to see them put them in the dumpsters and get something good.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I HATE those mattresses, and completely stopped staying at HGI because of them. Which in many markets, means I've moved by business to Marriott. I would love to know that they have replaced those mattresses since I really like HGI except for that.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:43 pm

I too avoid HGI to avoid the mattress. The toiletries are unimpressive but much less important to me.

I also wish the breakfast vouchers were inclusive of tip.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors
Still seeing them although I rarely stay at HGI properties. Where I have seen them the dials are often broken.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Very much agree with this.

Originally Posted by stevenw
Where I have seen them the dials are often broken.
The going line was always that they were designed to be very slow to respond and thus that people would fiddle with them, not notice any immediate change, and then deem them to be broken. Who knows if that's true, unless you have hours to play with it and find out.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
The going line was always that they were designed to be very slow to respond and thus that people would fiddle with them, not notice any immediate change, and then deem them to be broken. Who knows if that's true, unless you have hours to play with it and find out.
First thing I do when I get in the room is dial in the firmest setting. It is hours before I actually get into the bed. Still way too soft. So unless it takes 12 hours to get firm the mattresses are no good.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hginPHL
I HATE those mattresses, and completely stopped staying at HGI because of them. Which in many markets, means I've moved by business to Marriott. I would love to know that they have replaced those mattresses since I really like HGI except for that.
I refuse to stay at HGI's with those beds. I prefer Hampton bed but miss the made to order breakfast HGI offers.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Are we taking about the inflatable mattresses with the digital readout on the handheld controller, or the memory foam ones that HGI claims are adjustable despite having a dial that feels and appears to not be connected to anything and no visible pump or electrical connection to make the mattress more firm?

I like the memory-foam-placebo-dial mattresses. Upon arrival, I turn it to the softest setting so it doesn't fracture my spine when I sit down on it. It's uncomfortably firm when you first lay down, but over 5-10 minutes you sink in and it's very supportive.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Baze
First thing I do when I get in the room is dial in the firmest setting. It is hours before I actually get into the bed. Still way too soft. So unless it takes 12 hours to get firm the mattresses are no good.
I wasn't ever actually convinced that it worked.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Well, I LOVE the adjustable mattresses that HGI uses.^ Not only does it get to a good level of firmness that I prefer, but it also has no bounce to it. I actually looked into one for home use but the over $4k (they ain't cheap!) price set me back a bit. My only bad experience with the sleep system has been the one or two times the mattress was damaged.

At my last HGI stay in the Rochester area, they did not have the HGI sleep system mattress. Instead, the bed was a platform with a sheet of plywood and a mattress was installed on that with no box springs. It was more comfortable than it sounds, but it did remind me of my first apartment out of college. At least the desk wasn't concrete blocks with boards across it!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Count me as one that liked the adjustable HGI ability and I liked the softest setting.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
I too avoid HGI to avoid the mattress. The toiletries are unimpressive but much less important to me.

I've learned how to adjust the mattress to suit my tastes.

They give you a $12.99 breakfast and you can't shell out a couple of bucks for a tip?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
They give you a $12.99 breakfast and you can't shell out a couple of bucks for a tip?
Speaking at least for myself, it's less about the cost and just more about speed/convenience. I hardly ever have cash on me (because cash doesn't earn miles) and so having to do a tip requires flagging down a server, getting a check, giving them the voucher, having them run it, making sure the voucher is applied correctly (it sometimes isn't), and then filling out the info for the tip. Sometimes that can take a while depending on the server and how crowded it is.

I also don't usually charge any other incidentals to the room so that means having to actually check out and get a folio instead of using the one under the door.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by Baze
It is hours before I actually get into the bed. Still way too soft. So unless it takes 12 hours to get firm ..........
Sorry, anything that takes 12 hours to get firm is doomed !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.