Did Hilton get new mattresses?

Old Jun 19, 15, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Did Hilton get new mattresses?

Back to back stays in newly renovated properties and the mattresses are a lot more firm than we have seen.. They are both owned by the same company. Did they go cheap somehow or are the new mattresses more firm than before.
Old Jun 19, 15, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I certainly hope not, what is developing into my biggest pet peeve with Hyatt is their propensity for firm mattresses (the worst so far has surprisingly been the Park Hyatt New York which was so bad the comment I left on their survey got me an e-mail response that they have feather and foam mattress toppers available for future reference and that they have made a note on my file). The HGI mattresses have gotten better, I know that. I have noticed the Hilton pillows have gone downhill. There are not the touch of down pillows they used to have. The Hilton JFK bed was less comfortable then I remember. The other two Hilton proper properties I stay at most recently (The Drake and Hilton Times Square) didn't have anything noticeable.
Old Jun 20, 15, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would be a change I like. I hate soft mattresses, they give me a backache. I like firm. The worst are the HGI mattresses that are old and you put the dial on firm and it just never gets firm.
Old Jun 20, 15, 4:21 pm

I have been in the midst of a lot of mattress talk lately (me buying one, friends buying some), and generally speaking a lot of people do not actually say what they think they mean with respect to mattresses. For example people who say they like a "soft" mattress many times don't actually like that - that would be very weak coils that compress by inches when weight is put on them. What they actually like is a firm mattress with a bit of softer material (pillow top or featherbed) over the top. The latter is what most hotels shoot for. They dont want people to feel like they are falling into the center of the earth, but also do not want a mattress that feels like poured concrete.
Old Jun 20, 15, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I always check for bed bugs and have noticed that there are 2 different mattresses at Hilton Hotels. The newer one is whiter in color and a bit firm. The older mattress is more comfortable and is more of a beige-white color, somewhat yellow. I'm not sure when the change happened, but as properties renovate they seem to be switching to the whiter, firmer mattress.

I did see a third mattress but only at one hotel - Hilton Tampa Downtown, it was by far the most comfortable of the three, and one of the most comfortable mattresses I've seen in a hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: