Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Relocated - No Compensation Offered ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This is a fairly long story so please bear with me.

I made a reservation on 6 Dec 2014 for a one night stay at a Hampton Inn in Winnipeg planned for 12 June. I received a call from a hotel rep at 1000 the morning of 12 June and was told I was being relocated to another hotel. The explanation was the FIFA tournament and that their reservation system erroneously allowed them to overbook (I didn’t challenge this but I knew it wasn’t an error).

The caller said I would receive all of my HHonors points and stay credit because the Hampton Inn would charge me for my room as booked. She further said they would pay for the replacement hotel and said I would only be responsible for incidentals. I asked about breakfast at the other hotel since Hampton Inns provide breakfast. I was told that they would not cover breakfast at the replacement hotel but would let me have breakfast at the Hampton Inn (they offered to send a shuttle to pick me up).

I replied that I was surprised they were relocating a Diamond and I mentioned that my reservation was over six months old. The Hampton Inn rep said they felt I would be happier at the replacement hotel and did not offer to keep my reservation with them. I asked about compensation for the inconvenience and was asked what I wanted. I suggested 20,000 points. The rep said they would charge me for the room as booked and would award me 20,000 points. I then asked for an email providing me the details on the agreed compensation.

I did not receive the email prior to my arrival in Canada and I had not purchased a Canada data plan. I had been given the name of the replacement hotel so I checked in there. The replacement hotel confirmed that the Hampton Inn would be responsible for the room and parking portion of my bill. When I accessed my mail from my room I found that I had received the email from the Hampton Inn. Included in that email was the following “Upon confirmation with our General Manager, in lieu of bonus Hilton Honors points.your stay will be complimentary”.

I sent an email back to the hotel informing them that I was not happy and was not willing to accept their new counter offer. I find the actions on the part of the hotel to be bad form.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to proceed? I feel, at a minimum, my stay should be complimentary and I should also receive the 20,000 points compensation. I appreciate any input and apologize for the length of this post.

Mari
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:04 am

Walking a diamond means $200 cash per the hhonors T&Cs. However, since you seemingly waived those terms and started doing your own negotiating, I'm not really sure what to say.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:21 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

If they walked you they should pay for the relocation hotel night and charge you zero. It seems they did that much so far. Now file a claim with Hilton customer care to receive your $200 USD. Also ask for the 20,000 points for them trying not to give you full compensation.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They may well tell you that you cut your own deal, but there is no harm in asking. I would have taken the $200 and bought my own cup of coffee.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I think the hotel owes the OP the US$200 no matter what else they offered. It sounds like the hotel never told the OP what they were entitled to under the Hilton T&C's. Maybe the hotel didn't know what the OP was entitled to under the T&C's.

Either way, I think the OP should escalate this to either the Honors line or the Flyertalk rep on here.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I think the hotel owes the OP the US$200 no matter what else they offered. It sounds like the hotel never told the OP what they were entitled to under the Hilton T&C's.
+1. Would agree with this.
If they argued, that he made a deal with the hotel, they should owe the OP 20.000pts because according to his post, these points were part of the agreement between him & the hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Either way, I think the OP should escalate this to either the Honors line or the Flyertalk rep on here.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by GoingGal
Do any of you have suggestions on how to proceed? I feel, at a minimum, my stay should be complimentary and I should also receive the 20,000 points compensation. I appreciate any input and apologize for the length of this post.
You could always dispute the charge on your credit card if Hilton doesn't follow through on this. The HI did not provide the lodging you contracted for.

Do you mind sharing the name of the property? People should know so they can stay away in the future.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Walking a diamond means $200 cash per the hhonors T&Cs. However, since you seemingly waived those terms and started doing your own negotiating, I'm not really sure what to say.
Armchair lawyering is worth exactly what the OP paid for it.

That's not a legally binding waiver.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Armchair lawyering is worth exactly what the OP paid for it.

That's not a legally binding waiver.
I wasn't saying that it was such, but just saying that OP probably would have had a smoother route if he/she had stuck to the T&Cs from the start.

Regardless, the best advice here is to PM the Hhonors rep.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I think it's only $100 for the Hampton Inn's (maybe some of the other brands at that end of the scale too).
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:20 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by GoingGal
This is a fairly long story so please bear with me.

I made a reservation on 6 Dec 2014 for a one night stay at a Hampton Inn in Winnipeg planned for 12 June. I received a call from a hotel rep at 1000 the morning of 12 June and was told I was being relocated to another hotel. The explanation was the FIFA tournament and that their reservation system erroneously allowed them to overbook (I didn’t challenge this but I knew it wasn’t an error).

The caller said I would receive all of my HHonors points and stay credit because the Hampton Inn would charge me for my room as booked. She further said they would pay for the replacement hotel and said I would only be responsible for incidentals. I asked about breakfast at the other hotel since Hampton Inns provide breakfast. I was told that they would not cover breakfast at the replacement hotel but would let me have breakfast at the Hampton Inn (they offered to send a shuttle to pick me up).

I replied that I was surprised they were relocating a Diamond and I mentioned that my reservation was over six months old. The Hampton Inn rep said they felt I would be happier at the replacement hotel and did not offer to keep my reservation with them. I asked about compensation for the inconvenience and was asked what I wanted. I suggested 20,000 points. The rep said they would charge me for the room as booked and would award me 20,000 points. I then asked for an email providing me the details on the agreed compensation.

I did not receive the email prior to my arrival in Canada and I had not purchased a Canada data plan. I had been given the name of the replacement hotel so I checked in there. The replacement hotel confirmed that the Hampton Inn would be responsible for the room and parking portion of my bill. When I accessed my mail from my room I found that I had received the email from the Hampton Inn. Included in that email was the following “Upon confirmation with our General Manager, in lieu of bonus Hilton Honors points.your stay will be complimentary”.

I sent an email back to the hotel informing them that I was not happy and was not willing to accept their new counter offer. I find the actions on the part of the hotel to be bad form.

Mari
Hi GoingGal,

My team would be happy to investigate! Please feel free to send me a PM with your HHonors number and full name when you have a moment.

Cheers,
Erin
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi GoingGal,

My team would be happy to investigate! Please feel free to send me a PM with your HHonors number and full name when you have a moment.

Cheers,
Erin
(Erin) Nice one picking this up.

Question,
At which point in a reservation (upcoming stay) would it be considered a walk vs a cancelled reservation or is a property never supposed to cancel a reservation.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
(Erin) Nice one picking this up.

Question,
At which point in a reservation (upcoming stay) would it be considered a walk vs a cancelled reservation or is a property never supposed to cancel a reservation.
I would too be curious to hear the answer to this (though I think the likelihood is low that we will receive one). Properties have been known to dump reservations when they learn an event is coming to town, so that they can reprice. This isn't considered a walk months out. I forget what resolution posters here have had when that happens. What happened to the OP here I would call a walk since it was the same day.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:22 pm

This sounds like the Hampton Inn Winnipeg/Polo Park. I stayed there two nights without any major issues about a month ago. However, it seems odd that they would offer no compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.