Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing {US-PA}

Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing {US-PA}

Old Jun 9, 15, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
Arrow Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing {US-PA}

The former Hyatt Regency at Penn's Landing became a Hilton in February. Has anyone stayed here since the conversion? Is it being renovated? Any sense of how elite upgrades go? How breakfast is?

To clarify, this is a different hotel than the confusingly similarly named The Inn at Penn a Hilton Hotel.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 16, 15, 5:49 am

Not sure if it is being renovated, but I thought the condition of the hotel was quite nice. Got put into a suite as a Gold, and the room is very spacious, clean, and modern. View from the room was incredible.

Gold+ members are given breakfast vouchers which can be used in the restaurant. Fairly standard upscale buffet fare with oatmeal bar, eggs, bacon, sausage, cold cuts, cheeses, and various pastries.
Old Jun 17, 15, 9:50 pm

Great location. especially in summer.
have not stayed so can't share other info
Old Jun 19, 15, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm putting myself and the wife up here for 4th of July and I'll add my thoughts after the stay. Exciting to hear a Gold got a suite upgrade!
Old Jul 4, 15, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Here now. Hotel is nicely appointed. There's almost no sign that it used to be a Hyatt, just a few poorly covered logos here and there.

Staff have been as friendly as one would expect in a Midwest hotel, nice to see that on the East Coast. I did OLCI to a high floor room in the basic category on an award stay but when I asked about upgrades at the desk, the clerk threw away my key envelope they had premade, hammered away at her computer, and got me a King View room (corner, facing the river, one category up). So I'll never be able to say that I haven't been upgraded after OLCI.

Breakfast buffet tasted like every other Hilton buffet ever. It was extremely poorly stocked, and as such, the omelette line was very long. What they were supposed to have out, judging by the signs, was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes (wedges with onion), breakfast quesadillas (recommended), toast, muffins, bagels, lox, cream cheese, capers, onion, cereal, pastries, nuts, dried fruit, granola, oranges, pineapple, melon, honeydew, and yogurt parfaits.

I'd stay here again, and I'd eat breakfast for free if I'm gold/diamond but I wouldn't pay for breakfast, even on an expense account. There's too many good places nearby I'd rather expense my meal.
Old Jul 4, 15, 9:31 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by CastAStone View Post
Staff have been as friendly as one would expect in a Midwest hotel, nice to see that on the East Coast. I did OLCI to a high floor room in the basic category on an award stay but when I asked about upgrades at the desk, the clerk threw away my key envelope they had premade, hammered away at her computer, and got me a King View room (corner, facing the river, one category up). So I'll never be able to say that I haven't been upgraded after OLCI.
Thank you very much for the great report. I will seriously consider staying at this property next time I am back home in PA.

My interpretation of the upgrade-after-OLCI issue is that for most everyone, it isn't happening automatically. If it were, you wouldn't have had to ask about the possibility of an upgrade.

When I check in for a room on-line, I see the statement "we will upgrade you if it's available when you get here" (loosely paraphrased). It's only happened to me once this year, at an HI by Denver International. And I already have over 30 stays.

But good on ya for asking and getting what you were entitled to all along!
Old Jul 5, 15, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Couple other notes...

Rooms are City Sized, but not small.

Hotel isn't really on top of much in the way of food/beverage, other than the nifty park next door, but it's maybe a 7-8 minute walk to Chestnut or Market, where some seriously top notch places await. That's also the distance to the subway; the buses (Penn's Landing line and Phlash bus) are maybe a 5 minute walk.

Breakfast was better the second day than in my review above, and a few of the premade items changed.

While it doesn't look like they've renovated, per se (it's still a Hyatt bed), a lot of the furnishings were clearly brand spanking new, including most of the electronics. The clock radio has a lightning port for your iPhone instead of the old style.

Supposedly a full blown Reno is coming, although I'd say the room doesn't particularly need it.
Old Jul 9, 15, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by CastAStone View Post
Couple other notes...

Rooms are City Sized, but not small.

Hotel isn't really on top of much in the way of food/beverage, other than the nifty park next door, but it's maybe a 7-8 minute walk to Chestnut or Market, where some seriously top notch places await. That's also the distance to the subway; the buses (Penn's Landing line and Phlash bus) are maybe a 5 minute walk.

Breakfast was better the second day than in my review above, and a few of the premade items changed.

While it doesn't look like they've renovated, per se (it's still a Hyatt bed), a lot of the furnishings were clearly brand spanking new, including most of the electronics. The clock radio has a lightning port for your iPhone instead of the old style.

Supposedly a full blown Reno is coming, although I'd say the room doesn't particularly need it.
I stayed here last year when it was a Hyatt. I have no status with Hyatt, so got no upgrade - it definitely needs it in the regular rooms.

A great option in walking distance is Victoria Freehouse, an English pub on Front Street near the Chestnut Street bridge. Or if you're there in summer, the Spruce Street Harbor Park pop-up beer garden is literally next door.
Old Aug 1, 15, 6:49 pm

arrriving /departing 30 th street Amtrak station

How far is hotel from Amtrak station.
Front desk clerk said that Suburban station" was better option that it could take "1 hour: with typical traffic.

Is this accurate?
How much for a cab?
Old Aug 2, 15, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by writetorich View Post
Front desk clerk said that Suburban station" was better option that it could take "1 hour: with typical traffic.

Is this accurate?
How much for a cab?
That makes no sense to me - you could walk to 30th Street Station in an hour and Amtrak doesn't stop at Suburban Station.
Old Aug 2, 15, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Is this accurate?
How much for a cab?
Even if you have never been to Philly this is where Google Maps is your friend.

The clerk telling you to get off at Suburban station is dead wrong!!

If you want to take public transportation, you can take the Market-Frankfort line to 2nd and walk, but it's not a straight walk to the entry of the property. The 42 bus will take you from 30 Street station to Penn Landing. In addition, not sure how much luggage you will have.

Buses, cabs or Uber are not expensive and a better option depending on traffic

The location of this property has always been mystery to me (even as a Hyatt) as you need to walk across the highway and it's not as convenient to Olde Town and Center City as other properties.
Old Dec 29, 15, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
The location of this property has always been mystery to me (even as a Hyatt) as you need to walk across the highway and it's not as convenient to Olde Town and Center City as other properties.
You're right about the location. I'm trying to decide which location is better for NYE and Mummer's Parade, staying here on wrong side of 95 or closer to center city at Home2. The Doubletree cash and points rates are too high unfortunately, I missed out on it.

Edit: I'm trying to decide if the Hilton is $100 per night better than the Home2 suites for 2 nights.

Last edited by thphilly; Dec 29, 15 at 6:48 am Reason: added dollar amount
Old Jul 1, 16, 10:40 pm

very , very good hotel and GREAT location

This is a great property especially in the summer with kids.
what they have done with the "urban beach " is amazing.
Also you can take a $6 ferry to Camden NJ for a really expensive but great aquarium,

I agree with the comment about "midwestern friendliness"
This does not have the feel of a convention box Hilton.
There is an indoor pool which was a bit chilly in August of last year, and a nice outdoor space connected to pool.

Food is fair , but the fun here is to go to the food trucks outside.

I have no first hand knowledge , but I think during the winter on a business trip. The Hilton near Penn is suppose to be "boutique " like a Park Hyatt or st.Regis

Even in the Summer, traveling alone on business without your family, I would recommend this hotel. After client meetings , you could easily enjoy the fresh air and festive , but wholesome, scene right in front of the hotel.
Yes people are consuming alcohol , but it is more young professionals and not "Snooki types" or drunk college kids.
Its very mellow and friendly.
Stranger talk to each other
http://drwcsite.s3.amazonaws.com/fil...r-brochure.pdf

http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.c...et-harbor-park
Old Jul 2, 16, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I have no first hand knowledge , but I think during the winter on a business trip. The Hilton near Penn is suppose to be "boutique " like Park Hyatt or st.Regis
Sorry, but this comparison stretches credulity - especially in a city where the real Park Hyatt was demoted to a regular Hyatt, and where Four Seasons abandoned the market.
Old Jul 24, 16, 5:08 pm

Well if that's the case then the aforementioned property not the subject of the Thread 'Beats" the Philadelphia Four Seasons and the Philadelphia Park Hyatt!

Getting back to this thread , I understand that they added a gold/diamond "lounge" on the lobby floor partitioned by a curtain??

Anyone have a recent stay?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: