Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tim_T
I do - it is a lot easier for the FD staff to find / spell my name in their system when English is perhaps not their first language.

I'm not LT Diamond, but like the OP I would expect at least some recognition. Yes it brings no additional benefits, but you have spent over 1000 paid nights in their hotels and a simple "thanks" would set a more positive customer interaction tone and costs nothing.
So a minimum wage employee reading some cliche from a screen really means that much to you? "Have a nice day."
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:38 pm

I am the original poster.

Thank you Baze for the welcome.

I am not used to online forums. This was my first post on this forum or any other forum. That is probably due to my age, which was hinted at by my saying that headphones may have been interesting to me decades ago. And no, I had not read other posts before posting mine. Apologies for not knowing protocol or best practice with online forums.

I was not familar with your abbreviations so I had to look up the abbreviations used in your responses. They made me smile, especially, DYKWIA. Especially as it seems standard on this web site to say that you are gold/diamond/platinum on xyz.

I wanted to respond to some of the people kind enough to answer my comments/questions:
- you will note I said these stays were across multiple countries, ie multiple languages. Well done to Tim_T to spotting the language reason for offering the card
- although I do admit I also offered it on these occasions as an experiment. One that concluded that training at hilton had not educated their staff on the existence of this card/level
- some of you may say it is not a new level just a duration feature of an existing level. As someone, who has been in a situation of two diamonds competing for the last room in the hotel and losing out, any extra semi-level is appreciated
- my comment on training of reception staff was not re extra benefits as I knew there were none (as mentioned in my post); it was re them not recognising the card and being confused by it
- re comments anticipated from reception, I spend my life in hiltons, approx 180 nights a year on business and more on points. I get bored and I look for entertainment, something/anything that is different. I am sure that must be something many of you must sympathise with.

Another reason for showing the card is cultural. I live an international life as many of you will do. My experiences of US hiltons is that they are often mass market and not premium, eg even the Conrad in NY doesn't have an exec lounge, so any premium card in the US is just routine that doesn't get much extra so no point showing it there. Whereas the hiltons in Asia tend to be premium and culturally, as you will know, Asian societies tend to treat status differently (eg Conrad exec lounge in HKG). If any of my commenters are more used to US hiltons, I would suggest for them to try Asian hiltons.

I was initially confused/offended by some of the more negative comments but then realised that a minority of you will spend your lives utilising the alcoholic benefits of exec lounges and spend bored evenings entertaining yourselves in this way. So with hindsight, I realise that I should have read the forum more before my inital posting so as not to invite those comments. Sorry for my naiveté of online protocol and best practice.

But thank you for being so friendly and welcoming. The best way to learn is in the deep end after all. :-) So my mistake, I take this as a lesson.

I should add that this was written from a hilton exec lounge with a glass (or two) of wine :-) :-) :-)

Have fun chaps!
:-)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by IcHot
"OK staff, I want to inform you about a new problem with this powerpoint presentation: Lifetime Diamond members.

If anyone drops a metal card on the desk in front of you or gently pulls it out of a presentation case to present it to you, be prepared to respond like you would to a kindergarten student showing you their artwork and make an unrealistic fuss about it. These folks are needy and want to feel special."
If Flyertalk ever does a post of the year competition I would like to nominate this one. Sir/Madam, have a Flyertalk star :-:

Back on topic, until LTD entitles you to something extra there is no need to produce it.

P.S. Is it really metal?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You might be surprised how many world travelers responded to your post. Most have a sense of diversity regarding hotel brands. And I do note a degree of DYKWIA in your writings. But, this is all in fun, so enjoy the cheap wine.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:26 pm

While LT Diamond for HHonors is not a true level, it is Hilton's way of recognizing a customer who had at least 1,000 PAID nights with them. It is also the only "status" that cannot be "bought" by credit card associated spent. So, even though I will probably never get this in my life, I support the idea that folks who earned this bragging rights should be treated better at Hilton associated properties.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward
While LT Diamond for HHonors is not a true level, it is Hilton's way of recognizing a customer who had at least 1,000 PAID nights with them. It is also the only "status" that cannot be "bought" by credit card associated spent. So, even though I will probably never get this in my life, I support the idea that folks who earned this bragging rights should be treated better at Hilton associated properties.
Right, but the problem is that hilton has to tread very lightly here or they are going to alienate their current revenue generators. Yes, LTD shows a lot of PAST loyalty and it is possibly something for current customers to aspire to (though 10 years is a long road). Meanwhile, back at the ranch, though, diamond is pretty watered down as it is, and how is the guy who is doing 100 paid nights a year going to feel knowing that he's getting trumped by a possible retiree on his only leisure trip of the year? And who does Hilton - as a publicly traded company operating quarter to quarter - really care about more?

I understand OP's predicament of two Diamonds fighting over a suite upgrade but really it is lose-lose and the fault is on Hilton and not either of the customers. Neither one of them - the LTD nor the frequent-customer Diamond - should have to lose out. Well, unless one of them is waving his arms and tapping a card on the desk.

Also, nice job on the OP's part for assuming that we're all a bunch of backwoods hillbillies who have never been to Asia and don't know the nuanced "cultural" meaning of being a huge card-waving DYKWIA in the way that only someone who lives an "international life" can understand.

Last edited by arlflyer; Jun 4, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by arlflyer
... Yes, LTD shows a lot of PAST loyalty and it is possibly something for current customers to aspire to (though 10 years is a long road). ...?
Well, as a LTD I understand your dismay taht i might receive benefits to which i should not be entitled even though I spent >&100,000 earning the status. As it is now i have only spent $28,500 so far this year at Hilton family brands so I am certain that your disdain is appropriate. OTOH I continue to earn Diamond or something close to it.

Yes, I am older than you. No, that does not mean I am poorer nor spend less.
Retirees are not the problem. Younger people who think they have entitlements without earning them are a problem.

Sorry, I do not intend to be rude.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Yes, I am older than you. No, that does not mean I am poorer nor spend less. Retirees are not the problem. Younger people who think they have entitlements without earning them are a problem.
I am clearly not referring to your case, and I made it very clear that what I was referring to was one possible negative consequence of giving LTD higher status that Hilton would have to be conscious of.

You should be more in favor of a CK type program to reward current high-value customers. Then there would be no debate.

Though throwing around spend figures to show your supposed higher class is pretty tasteless at any age.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by TooManyNightsAtHilton
I spend my life in hiltons, approx 180 nights a year on business and more on points. I get bored and I look for entertainment, something/anything that is different. I am sure that must be something many of you must sympathise with.
Umm, no, but to each his own. You may be well-served by flying Southwest, though it's perhaps not ideal for your "international life". You'd likely find the rapping FAs, peanut bag aisle rolls, and other examples of humor to be quite different and entertaining.

Last edited by smmrfld; Jun 4, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
When I was in the Conrad Seoul Executive Lounge last month, the Executive Lounge Manager (Katie) saw Lifetime Diamond status in my profile, and asked to see my card as she had never seen one before. I took from my wallet and she passed it around.

Did not receive any additional recognition, but this hotel has always been top notch on service.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Umm, no, but to each his own. You may be well-served by flying Southwest, though it's perhaps not ideal for your "international life". You'd likely find the rapping FAs, peanut bag aisle rolls, and other examples of humor to be quite different and entertaining.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:09 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Life time Diamond vs. regular Diamond (vs. plastic Diamond).

Nobility vs. new money (vs. investment banker/piano player in a brothel).

And that is how it should be distinguished in Hilton receptions.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Life time Diamond vs. regular Diamond (vs. plastic Diamond).

Nobility vs. new money (vs. investment banker/piano player in a brothel).

And that is how it should be distinguished in Hilton receptions.
Ok, so now this is just getting weird.

The original point of this thread is that a poster was storming in, waving his card around and asking to be treated specially when the hhonors program contains no such provisions.

Despite your little analogies above, the fact remains that we are playing by Hilton's game, and their program makes no such distinctions.

If they chose to add new distinctions based on spend or length of loyalty then there would be no discussion to be had. But the original point of this thread is that a poster was unhappy that Hilton was not making up nonexistent, undeclared benefits for him.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
Thought I would relate my experiences of Lifetime Diamond since I received this status. My sole experience in North America was in New York at the Millenium Hilton where I was upgraded to a fantastic suite and comped full breakfast.

Other notable experiences:

Athens - check-in staff had never seen the card and upgraded me to the Presidential Suite as well as comping full hot breakfast in the restaurant which has a €12.50 charge for Diamonds.

Kuala Lumpur - check-in staff took the card and photocopied it to show at their team briefing. Suite upgrade and given a really warm welcome.

Melbourne - check-in staff had not seen the card but were very familiar with the programme. Immediate Yarra suite upgrade and a very warm welcome.

I have many European stays over recent months and on every stay have been welcomed as a LTD - seems to appear on screen when checking in? I have 100% junior suite and above upgrades and have noticed a huge upturn in service levels compared to my experiences over the past couple of years.

I hope other posters get similar experiences on their travels. I'm really delighted with my experiences and it makes me much more inclined to continue to stay 100+ nights a year with Hilton family properties.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by poker9ite
Wow you guys are brutal. I wouldn’t flash my card but I would think they would say something about Lifetime at check-in. I am always greeted with a thank you for being diamond currently.
Yep, its quite a brutal here for some reason in the Hhonors forum. Some very angry people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.