Conrad Chicago {US-IL}

Old May 29, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gobi
Stayed there last night. They dropped the $30 per person for Diamonds to $15.

That’s very disappointing! The $30 for me made up for not having a lounge and was a nice status benefit versus other Hilton properties in Chicago. Without it I think I’ll give the WA a try next time - it’s farther from my office, but i haven’t found that the Conrad particularly rewards my Diamond status in any other way (last time I was there they said that their system wouldn’t let them give me an upgrade even though the hotel was lightly occupied. The manager basically said it was a glitch in their computer system, he couldn’t do anything, and hopefully it wouldn’t happen again).
Old May 29, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I think I’ll give the WA a try next time - it’s farther from my office, but i haven’t found that the Conrad particularly rewards my Diamond status in any other way
Definitely too bad to hear about the breakfast benefit drop at the Conrad, but I wouldn't get your hope up for the WA - maybe you'll get a suite upgrade, maybe not (usually not for me).
Old May 29, 2019, 8:51 pm

Disappointing that they lowered their breakfast benefit, since that was one of the advantages of the property for me. The first time I stayed there I think it was $20 a person, would have been better to go back to that if they felt $30 was too high - $15 won’t cover much on their menu.

I wonder if the various comments about this hotel reflect inconsistencies in the service. I was pretty specific in asking for a quiet room on a higher floor and to not be upgraded to the Mag Mile side to minimize noise, and they were great about accommodating that for both my stays there. The room was very comfortable and I was happy enough with my first stay, there were just a few minor service issues that weren’t a big deal. But on my second stay, I waited until after check-in time for my room to be ready, only to find they had made the bed but apparently not cleaned anything else (half-eaten food on the nightstand, open bath products in the shower, dirty sinks, etc.). Mistakes happen and it would have been fine if they had apologized immediately and addressed the problem, but instead it took me contacting them multiple times as I found more issues before they agreed to have someone come clean the room properly (meaning I had to leave the room again without getting settled in). They did not offer any kind of compensation. I’m sure this was just bad luck and the location would be so convenient for me to stay there again, but I’ve moved my stays to other hotels because I just can’t justify paying their rates after that experience. Hopefully their service will improve since I think the property has a lot of potential.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Just an FYI, the WA credit is also $15 per person so both the same as Conrad
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:47 am

Had another stay at the Conrad last week-- probably my least enjoyable so far. At checkin they did upgrade me one category to an ultra large king. I had asked for a quiet room, and unfortunately this was not it. For the first time in my various stays here, I could hear noise from the rooms above and adjacent to me (previous stays had been pretty quiet except for noise through the gap under the door). I also had a very loud air handler, which sounded like a vacuum cleaner when it kicked on, and made little clicking noises all night (highly irritating). I was told about the $15 drop in Diamond f&b credit at checkin and expressed my disappointment; the clerk told me that he found it very difficult to have to tell diamond members about the reduction. The hotel was not full (or at least the app showed rooms in every category for sale), but when I stopped into B&B for my evening nightcap it was completely packed (including families with young children, which I thought was interesting given the late hour). In the past I've generally found the place fairly empty and quiet after 10 on weeknights-- I don't know if this is a summer thing, or just an unusual night. Overall it was an ok stay, but on this trip I wasn't feeling that it justified the high premium (rates were significantly higher than on my previous stays).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:38 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I've heard nothing good about the hotel and will avoid it like the plague
The old Conrad was real nice quiet deluxe rooms,upgrades to suites occasionally, nice breakfasts
For all the above reasons absolutely no to the inferior and stingy Conrad 2 Chicago
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:44 pm

We had a perfectly fine stay there. I would easily stay again depending on what my plans were for the trip and the rates at the WA.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've heard nothing good about the hotel and will avoid it like the plague
The old Conrad was real nice quiet deluxe rooms,upgrades to suites occasionally, nice breakfasts
For all the above reasons absolutely no to the inferior and stingy Conrad 2 Chicago
My previous stay was quite good -- I'm definitely not writing it off, just providing a data point regarding my recent experience. I'll be in Chicago again soon, and can try to get an idea of whether this was a one off or related to the summer (all of my other stays were in the winter or spring). I am looking forward to trying the WA at some point, but their prices have been significantly higher than the Conrad on all of my trips so far.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Platinum, AMEX FHR
Are they now offering turndown service? Anyone here also stayed at the Sofitel? How would it compare?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I had my first stay (Fri & Sat night) at the new Conrad in a Chicago Suite (which is what I booked, at the old Conrad I always got bumped up to the next level of suite, similar to my experiences at the Waldorf and Drake). At check-in I was originally given a Chicago Suite on the 11th floor and asked if there was anything higher and got one on the 12th floor. Overall a pleasant stay whoever there was one annoying experience. I had left the room mid-Saturday morning and got back early evening and I go to open the door and it unlocks and opens two inches and then BANG hits the metal square used now adays as a secondary door restraint. I flagged down a maid that happened to be in the hallway and "oh you must have accidentally flipped it when you left") and called maintenance. One maintenance guy came up to check it out and then another came up and finally used some wire to move it so the door could be opened. I thanked them and went inside and see a maid's cleaning bottle and rag on the bathroom counter so it wasn't me that triggered the metal swinging back. In addition, not only was that bottle and rag left but it looked like they had gotten 90% through the cleaning but hadn't replaced the face cloths or soap and it looked highly likely they inadvertently moved that metal restraint going out but couldn't get back in and instead of getting it fixed just moved on. That irritated me. It was late and I didn't want to deal with waiting for face cloths so I used a hand towel so I just let it go. The Diamond breakfast benefit was explained as $30 per day good for any restaurant at check-in. Did not have breakfast on Saturday morning but did Sunday morning before check-out and it hadn't hit yet and the lady checking me out said she would deduct the first $15 of it once it came through to which I responded, I was informed it was $30/day and which I responded "the reservation is for 2 people" and got a "there is only one name on the reservation" to which I further responded, that is not what I was told on check-in. The whole exchange really irked me especially since I think $15/person is chinzy for a hotel charging these rates. When I finally got my bill emailed, I did $30 deducted of the $39.82 breakfast cost (that is one order of Eggs Benedict, one coffee and one orange juice plus 20% tip so goes to show how little the $15 per person goes). I would definitely stay there again, but I missed the old Conrad even though this was newer and fancier. Really would depend on rates of it vs the Drake or Waldorf
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
Every room or suite $199??

This is strange: The Hilton site says that all rooms or suites at The Conrad for my dates are $199 (AAA pre-paid rate). So of course I booked the Presidential Suite. What do you think will happen??
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:06 pm

Not sure, but even at that rate it's overpriced.

Sadly, I'm being serious; this isn't a hotel worthy of the Conrad name. I have to think this is some sort of temporary setup while they manuver into another building or a different property changes hands.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:31 pm

Entirely Satisfactory Experience

My recent stay there was just fine. Cordial, efficient staff. A fine room (a bit small, but I am not doing gymnastics there) with handsome furnishings and meticulous housekeeping. No noise problems though I faced Michigan Avenue.

One issue: The $15 Diamond credit is no more. Instead, it's a full continental breakfast, served plated. I was very favorably impressed by mine. Lots of good, ripe fresh fruit. Berries. Yogurt. Wonderful breads. Good service. This was fine for me.

I will happily return.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:24 pm

Meh.

Doormen not opening doors - too busy chatting up each other/other workers I guess.

Perfunctory check in, no upgrade.

Room is OK but again, nothing special. Could see mop trails in the black tile, faint but clearly there.

No bear on the bed, no duck.

No answer on the phone line for the car valet for 5 minutes.

I'll try the WA next time possibly, but from what I've heard, similar attitudes exist there.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smithrh
Meh.

Doormen not opening doors - too busy chatting up each other/other workers I guess.

Perfunctory check in, no upgrade.

Room is OK but again, nothing special. Could see mop trails in the black tile, faint but clearly there.

No bear on the bed, no duck.

No answer on the phone line for the car valet for 5 minutes.

I'll try the WA next time possibly, but from what I've heard, similar attitudes exist there.
I've learned if I'm staying at luxury in the US to not expect anything in the hopes of not being disappointed. In fact it was this very hotel that taught me that. A US Conrad or JW vs. an Asian Conrad or JW is a startling world of difference.
craig44485 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.