Conrad Chicago {US-IL}

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:04 am

Staying here this weekend and was looking forward to it. Recent reviews have me second guessing. Wondering if I should just save some money and stay elsewhere. Any ideas?

I loved the old Conrad as well. Calm, quiet, and I got huge upgrades more than once.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Two months ago I booked a weekend stay for Mid August as the the advance purchase rates were very good at the time (booked the Chicago Suite) so I guess I am kinda stuck and I really enjoyed loved old Conrad and it sounds like I am likely to be disappointed.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MissJ
Staying here this weekend and was looking forward to it. Recent reviews have me second guessing. Wondering if I should just save some money and stay elsewhere. Any ideas?

I loved the old Conrad as well. Calm, quiet, and I got huge upgrades more than once.
You may still like it, I do tend to be a little high maintenance at 5* hotels and it's possible I was caught them on a bad day. As to where else you could stay, the Park Hyatt is a great choice, and I've had good luck with the Intercontinental. I like staying in the Mag Mile so those are similar locations.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Yeah, thinking about sticking with it. I love the WA but it's just too far north for this trip. Did the LH a few months ago, have stayed at a bunch of other random properties around the city. Might as well try a new one. Though we really don't need 5*. We tend to barely be in our room on short trips like this one. I really just need a good night's sleep and a nice shower.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
Two months ago I booked a weekend stay for Mid August as the the advance purchase rates were very good at the time (booked the Chicago Suite) so I guess I am kinda stuck and I really enjoyed loved old Conrad and it sounds like I am likely to be disappointed.
The only recent "negative" review I see on this site is someone who showed up at 9:30 AM, didn't know how to use the elevator, still got upgraded, and had a late room service delivery (that one's on the property), but generally liked the room and the food. I don't really see anything there worth canceling a stay over. My time at this property, for what it's worth, has been perfectly fine.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Well there are quite a few mentions of bad soundproofing and that bugs me. I'll hope for a room with no neighbors. But you have a point. There are a lot of great reviews. I'm just overthinking.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:07 pm

The Hyatt Magnificient Mile which is not far from the new Conrad location, puts a box of ear plugs in each room because it has above sirens since its by the hospital (at least they used to, once Hyatt changed their program I haven't been to it or any other Hyatt). Perhaps this Conrad should start doing that.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arlflyer
The only recent "negative" review I see on this site is someone who showed up at 9:30 AM, didn't know how to use the elevator, still got upgraded, and had a late room service delivery (that one's on the property), but generally liked the room and the food. I don't really see anything there worth canceling a stay over. My time at this property, for what it's worth, has been perfectly fine.
That's a rather reductive way to describe my review. The elevator story I mentioned as lighthearted commentary mainly mocking myself. I do think the level of service I was given could have been better for a Conrad which is what I discussed.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Well there are quite a few mentions of bad soundproofing and that bugs me. I'll hope for a room with no neighbors. But you have a point. There are a lot of great reviews. I'm just overthinking.
I'm very finicky about noise when I'm trying to sleep - street noise doesn't bother me, but I'm very sensitive to slamming doors and being able to hear people talking in the next room or walking around in the room above me. Hence I usually opt for a Conrad when possible, since most of the ones at which I've stayed in Europe and Asia are very quiet. I've only got one stay at the Conrad Chicago as a datapoint (in a Michigan Ave room)-- as mentioned in an earlier post, I did hear street noise, and could hear sounds from the corridor (due to a large gap under the door), but did not hear noise from the adjoining rooms. I don't know if that is because they weren't occupied, or if that is because the soundproofing between rooms is sufficient. I hope that helps... FWIW, I've booked another stay there later this month (and will be returning monthly unless I run into issues with the property on a subsequent stay), and will post again if I encounter noise problems that cross my threshold.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@MissJ and @CMK10 while not a Conrad and in a slightly more isolated location, we LOVE the Waldorf Astoria. Out of all the Hilton properties in the US I've stayed at, the Chicago WA is my favorite property followed by the Los Angeles WA.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I'm very finicky about noise when I'm trying to sleep - street noise doesn't bother me, but I'm very sensitive to slamming doors and being able to hear people talking in the next room or walking around in the room above me. Hence I usually opt for a Conrad when possible, since most of the ones at which I've stayed in Europe and Asia are very quiet. I've only got one stay at the Conrad Chicago as a datapoint (in a Michigan Ave room)-- as mentioned in an earlier post, I did hear street noise, and could hear sounds from the corridor (due to a large gap under the door), but did not hear noise from the adjoining rooms. I don't know if that is because they weren't occupied, or if that is because the soundproofing between rooms is sufficient. I hope that helps... FWIW, I've booked another stay there later this month (and will be returning monthly unless I run into issues with the property on a subsequent stay), and will post again if I encounter noise problems that cross my threshold.
Thanks. I'm the same. I can deal with noise outside and have even left a window open in places like Paris with paper thin, ancient walls. I would rather have the hum and hustle of outside than distinct people outside my room. I'm booked in a Michigan Ave room as well. Had to hit the $500 threshold to get the $100 back from AmEx. I'll report back after my stay.

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
@MissJ and @CMK10 while not a Conrad and in a slightly more isolated location, we LOVE the Waldorf Astoria. Out of all the Hilton properties in the US I've stayed at, the Chicago WA is my favorite property followed by the Los Angeles WA.
Oh I love the WA. It's just a little far north for this weekend and something like $200 more a night. We've stayed there multiple times and especially enjoyed having a balcony during the Air and Water show. Their bathrooms are some of my favorites.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:58 am

I agree, the WA bathrooms in the suites are awesome.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:34 am

back from my weekend at the "new" Conrad and generally have no complaints. I was really sick all weekend so I spent more time in the room than I normally would. Got an ultra king with the larger bed which was pretty nice for someone like me who attempts to take up as much room while sleeping as humanly possible. My 5'6" self can rival the space requirements of your average NBA player. Everything was comfy, staff was nice. We enjoyed using our daily credit in the restaurant which saved us a bit on eating out. No noise issues from outside and none from our neighbors but I will agree that they need to put something like those rubber draft stoppers along the bottom of the doors to close the gaps. Odd that a hotel so recently done would have a gap under the door that I could put my hand through. That and some soft-close things for the doors would do a world of good. Luckily, there wasn't a ton going on outside my door. The floors are pretty small. Big difference from the size and grandeur of the old Conrad.

Overall, I still prefer the WA but the rates are often just too high there so I can definitely see staying here again. It's my #2 for the area.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Stayed there last night. They dropped the $30 per person for Diamonds to $15.

Old May 28, 2019, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Wife and I just stayed here for 1 night before moving onto the WA. I was looking forward to staying here as we stayed at the Conrad in NY last year and that was stunning.

Got to say, was a bit disappointed. When we checked in, I was offered a paid upgrade to a suite (as a diamond). Was quoted between $75 to $150. As I was told this there was a guy checking in next to me who was a gold and when he proactively asked for an update he was told they were fully committed.

Staff were super friendly, the rooftop bar was really nice to have a drink (although they had no Jack and limited whiskey which I thought was a bit odd).

The room was clean and new, but just...cant put my finger on it....just not the same style as say the Conrad New York. Not really my style.

Breakfast was Ok, wife and I both got the $15 credit per person.

Doubt I would stay here again. After we checked out we spent 2 nights at the WA which was decent.

I think as I have spent a lot of time at various Hilton's around Asia I am spoiled...although saying that the Conrad NY was spot on.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.