Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Define "better"?

Yes the Hilton has nicer and larger rooms (and a better view if you get the front block) but with facilities shared between both properties it IMHO comes down to the price. There certainly are times where there are vast differences between the pricing of both, and if I'm staying there (I've stayed at both properties regularly) I'm not willing to pay $100+ per night more for the Hilton when Diamond benefits still give you a free drink and full buffet breakfast regardless of what hotel you stay at.
I hope you are right - I booked 5 nights for 120k at the DT for a stay in 6 weeks, Hilton would have run 240k.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I highly recommend avoiding hilton doubletree and queenstown in general and staying at lakeside apartments wanaka.

Originally Posted by Stivelio
We are family of 4 that includes 2 kids ( 7 and 2) and so when I put kids in the criteria I only see premium rewards rooms(85K) vs standard rate room(35K). Is it ok to book a standard room assuming that it's big enough and the fact that I have diamond status that could help in free upgrade to larger room?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I highly recommend avoiding hilton doubletree and queenstown in general and staying at lakeside apartments wanaka.
​​​​​​ These apartments seem quite expensive. We will mostly try to be out most part doing day trips and so paying for rooms this expensive doesn't seem like a good option. Do you have any other recommendations?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We split the stay between lakeside wanaka and millbrook resort and both were a bit cheaper and far better than hilton for similarly sized accomodations (we booked 1-2 br options and city prestige free nt helped). Of course with points choices will be more limited.
I d still look into wanaka options - less expensive less crowded easily walkable.. queenstown was like that 10+ yrs ago nut now its an awful tourist trap - just look at nz visitor statistics...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew

I hope you are right - I booked 5 nights for 120k at the DT for a stay in 6 weeks, Hilton would have run 240k.
We've stayed in many DTs and this may have been the nicest. Very good service, very nice room. Enjoy!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I'm hopping between the DT and the Hilton in a couple of weeks (1 night at DT, 1 at Hilton and 1 at DT again) due to wildly swinging rates, but also to take advantage of the promo stay bonus.

Can I expect welcome drink vouchers for my stays at DT, or are these only given out at Hilton?

Also, is pool access only complimentary for Hilton guests? Apart from the rooms, are all Diamond benefits the same across both properties (breakfast)?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC newbie
Parking

Will stay in DT next month. I read some discussion that parking spaces are limited or have to pay NZ20 for valet parking. Any recent experience to share? Also is the complimentary breakfast okay or better top upgrade it to the hot breakfast?

thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I stayed there in Feb and there were signs saying that from Feb they would start charging NZD 20 per day for self parking, however the gates were open and no one ever mentioned any charges to me... Perhaps they're reserving the right to charge at busy times but not often enforcing. There was plenty of spaces available when I was there (as most guests seem to be large tour groups). YMMV.

Regarding the breakfast, the full hot buffet at the Hilton is the complimentary breakfast option. It even includes some made to order options like eggs Benedict. As a Diamond you'll also get 2 drink vouchers for the Pinot Pit bar, which you choose from a list and includes some fancy options like Cloudy Bay Pelorus.

On the whole I found Diamond recognition here to be excellent and to be fair I'd have no issues staying at the DT again vs the Hilton.
shizuko likes this.

Last edited by RafKa; Mar 30, 2019 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shizuko
Will stay in DT next month. I read some discussion that parking spaces are limited or have to pay NZ20 for valet parking. Any recent experience to share? Also is the complimentary breakfast okay or better top upgrade it to the hot breakfast?

thanks in advance!
We were at the Hilton for a night mid-March and parked in the DT garage. I believe it was $16NZD for overnight parking. There are some "street" spaces, but there were all taken. If you don't mind a short walk, you can try parking on the main street (Peninsula Rd) just before you turn down to the hotels. There doesn't seem to be a signs or obvious restrictions as they are developing the property adjacent to the street. There were plenty of spaces...but you do at your own risk.
shizuko likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:19 am

Thanks both for the information. I guess I will still park in DT if space is available... just afraid all spaces are taken up as I will be traveling before easter which overlaps school holiday.

Some dates are listed as sold out while another date show DT charging over NZ$300 (almost a double!) for a room. Maybe rooms are taken up by large group of tour...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Thanks both for the information. I guess I will still park in DT if space is available... just afraid all spaces are taken up as I will be traveling before easter which overlaps school holiday.

Some dates are listed as sold out while another date show DT charging over NZ$300 (almost a double!) for a room. Maybe rooms are taken up by large group of tour...
I stayed for 5 nights starting March 1, the hotel was full and we never had a problem parking; I usually drove down to level 3 and is was pretty wide open. Most of the guests were from Edward Jones, when I talked with them at the bar very few had chosen to rent a car. They wanted to charge me for parking until I pointed out that when I booked the room it said free parking, the desk clerk was nice and waived the charge. The first time we used it the gate opened so I just drove in, I didn’t realize I was supposed to take a ticket. When we tried to leave I felt pretty stupid because I gate wouldn’t open, luckily an employee walked by and opened it for me.

We liked the place, a lot to do, you will have fun, we lucked into brilliant weather.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:43 pm

We just stayed 10 days over Christmas and new year which were all certainly at max capacity. We had no issues finding parking in the parking deck or steps from the door at any time. I should also add parking was free
Old May 2, 2019, 1:02 am

A little report back from Queenstown

For the parking, there are plenty of spaces and we had no problem finding a space despite arriving at 9pm. The parking ticket costs NZD16 and the reception said they offer no more free parking for guests, but the fee was waived as I am a little gold.

The room is nice and clean, breakfast place share with Hilton next to the lake. The staff there were great and it’s a good view overlooking the lake while having breakfast.

staying there for 1-2 nights would be good, but I would also recommend to stay in city center for having a walk in Queenstown.
DiverDave and RafKa like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
A little report back from Queenstown

For the parking, there are plenty of spaces and we had no problem finding a space despite arriving at 9pm. The parking ticket costs NZD16 and the reception said they offer no more free parking for guests, but the fee was waived as I am a little gold.

The room is nice and clean, breakfast place share with Hilton next to the lake. The staff there were great and it’s a good view overlooking the lake while having breakfast.

staying there for 1-2 nights would be good, but I would also recommend to stay in city center for having a walk in Queenstown.
Do you mind saying which type of room you had and if you received an upgrade?
Old May 2, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by as219
Do you mind saying which type of room you had and if you received an upgrade?
I booked the basic twin room and got the upgrade to deluxe lakeview room. The upgrade is shown on the online check-in so I could select lakeview side room prior to arrival on the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.