FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Post Your "Wins": The Best Points for Value You've Ever Gotten (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1681375-post-your-wins-best-points-value-youve-ever-gotten.html)

inpd May 20, 2015 7:05 am

Post Your "Wins": The Best Points for Value You've Ever Gotten

What was a recent booking you made with points or points+$ that was great value?

I'll get the ball rolling by saying:

Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea - $125 per night + 25,000 miles for a Garden Suite Room. Normal booking price is $500 per night so my 25,000 miles were worth $375! I think that will be tough to beat.

sethb May 20, 2015 10:55 am

I don't think 1.5 cents/point is that exceptional. It's more than I usually get, but I've paid 40,000 for a $600 room (NY Hilton over Thanksgiving). That was obviously some years ago.

jbeckett May 20, 2015 11:00 am

Doubletree in Johur Bahru, Malaysia is 5000 points per night. I did a 5 night stay (5th night free) for 20000 points, and hotel had a 1000 point per night offer so the net cost was 15000 points. Cash cost would have been about $450 US.

BrlDsguise May 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 24843252)
What was a recent booking you made with points or points+$ that was great value?

I'll get the ball rolling by saying:

Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea - $125 per night + 25,000 miles for a Garden Suite Room. Normal booking price is $500 per night so my 25,000 miles were worth $375! I think that will be tough to beat.

Come on - anyone who stayed at the DT Times Square on NYE has that beat! I booked NYE 2013/2014 for 40K points and cash rate was $2,000.

We got a really good deal on the DT Newark Airport a couple of years ago - something along the line of 8K points + $40 for a $200 room.

UVU Wolverine May 20, 2015 10:30 pm

I really feel that the points+cash option is the highlight of the HHonors program now. Fifth night free is nice, and there are the occasional properties that stand out as a good straight redemption option, however I think both of those are few and far between with the most recent devaluation.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for a point redemption stay, but it's the reality if you're trying to find value in the program (at least for me). Especially if you have stays that are less than 5 nights on points.

Cymro May 21, 2015 5:55 am

Agree with all of the above.

A recent one - €229 for the HGI Milan North, which is near LIN.

€8k points and €30 is preverable however at 2.77c/point.

wizla Feb 20, 2016 11:06 am

Hilton st George's park ( uk )...... Booked two rooms £42 + 16k points........both rooms upgraded to suites and given 4 drink vouchers......bottle of wine and fruit bowl in each suite......this was about 2 years ago.

serfty Feb 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Q3FN's Count?

3 nights at Cavalieri in Rome saving at least €780

As for points - Conrad Tokyo -BEFORE it went to 90K ...

helosc Feb 21, 2016 7:56 am

Hilton Sibiu, Romania this coming May.
40.000 points for 5 nights.
3 of the nights are priced at 122 € per night (Standard room, Advance Purchase) and 2 of the nights are priced at 176 € per night (Standard rooms sold out - only suites left, Advance Purchase).
That comes to 718 €.......
Add : forgot the 10% tax on top so it comes to 789,80 €.......

loomis Feb 21, 2016 7:58 am

The subject of this post says "best ever," but the body of it says "recent."

My answer to the best ever is the old six nights at any property for 100K.

For me, that would have been the Hilton Waikoloa Village and Hilton Los Cabos, both of which were about $200/night at the time during peak winter season.

aww3583 Feb 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Homewood Suites, Augusta, GA during Masters' Week.

50,000 points for a suite with two queen beds. Manager's reception was a full hot buffet with prime rib, full open bar(beer, wine, spirits, mixers), desserts, and free transportation to/from the course.

Rooms were all north of $750/night.

worldiswide Feb 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 26218846)
Q3FN's Count?

3 nights at Cavalieri in Rome saving at least €780

As for points - Conrad Tokyo -BEFORE it went to 90K ...

Q3FN..those were good. .stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai when it was just the original 20 rooms, which are very large multi room suites..going rate about 1200 usd or so.

points.. the Langham hotel in London.. would upgrade us to suites on 50K redemptions ..don't know the price but definitely pricey.

Best accommodation on an award reservation..booked Sydney Hilton for nye, hotel closed down for renovations and they didn't eat us know, had to book a cbd hotel for us for NYE and did..

I'm sure I will remember more as this thread progresses

thphilly Feb 22, 2016 7:27 am

Conrad Tokyo on points and cash back in 2012 was great value (probably 1.5 cpp). Roosevelt in New Orleans with Citi certificates was probably most enjoyable, luxury experience that I would not have paid for otherwise (still probably only about 1.0 cpp).

ThompsonBr Feb 22, 2016 2:55 pm

4 nights at DT times square for Thanksgiving.
This was 5+ years back and booked a standard room for the base points.
They offered me an NOR1 Op Up upon check in to an executive suite on the 12th floor for $75 a night. View down to Central park of the parade route. Kids (5 and 8) loved it.
Somehow (computer glitch?) I received full credit in points for a paid executive suite reservation. Nearly full reimbursement of my points.

mintcilantro Feb 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I like the idea of this thread. For me it has been hampton inn mexico city. 5 nights for 40k points. going rate around $550. I was also upgraded to a suite. Not teh fanciest place on earth but it was a great redemption all round.

Of course people are going to bring up conrad maldives and tokyo which I've also done.

I'm going to send my sister to egypt to one of those all inclusives. That would be a godo use of points as well.