Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Old May 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Reviews of this property:
Print Wikipost

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I've stayed at this property many times over the last 2 months: the elevator has always been out of order.

While the valets are super friendly and warm, I'd rather not pay $20 to park ar a hotel where paid parking is unheard of. Although a trick: the on-site restaurant will validate your parking with any meal. I was able to get parking validated on an HHonors breakfast.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:46 am

Yeah we were there last summer... 2017, not 2018 (as noted in my previous posts)... and I'm pretty sure one elevator was not working. There wasn't a sign, but the waits were awful. We also took to just jumping on one any time it came no matter if it was going up or down from the lobby. We took the stairs down a few times and we were on one of the top floors.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just had 5 nights on points. As gold no resort fee ($30 a night) charged but parking fee (for self parking) charged at $20 night. I thought the Resort fee waiver covers the items listed inclusive services. Did ask and was told by desk it is charged when resort fee not charged. Is this correct? If so, seems a bit shady- if not, I'll request a refund.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by zebranz
Just had 5 nights on points. As gold no resort fee ($30 a night) charged but parking fee (for self parking) charged at $20 night. I thought the Resort fee waiver covers the items listed inclusive services. Did ask and was told by desk it is charged when resort fee not charged. Is this correct? If so, seems a bit shady- if not, I'll request a refund.
I agree with you - if the resort fee covers the parking, not sure how they can charge you for it separately. I'd definitely look into that, and if the hotel disagrees, I'd contact Hilton and find out why they can do that.

Actually...can I backpedal? I presented this to my husband, who is a much more logical thinker than I...he said "well, did he get the other amenities (which I told him about)...did he get the internet, free cocktails, free golf, free snorkeling? If not, he got nothing because he paid for nothing. So, the conclusion is he should not get the free parking, either".

Last edited by Eujeanie; Dec 13, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I agree with you - if the resort fee covers the parking, not sure how they can charge you for it separately. I'd definitely look into that, and if the hotel disagrees, I'd contact Hilton and find out why they can do that.

Actually...can I backpedal? I presented this to my husband, who is a much more logical thinker than I...he said "well, did he get the other amenities (which I told him about)...did he get the internet, free cocktails, free golf, free snorkeling? If not, he got nothing because he paid for nothing. So, the conclusion is he should not get the free parking, either".
Hotel agreed I should get free parking and said they would issue a credit on my card. (Yes, received the option and used some of the "Resort Fee" amenities for free.)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: All of em...
Considering a stay here in April. Anyone have an update on the elevator situation and free parking on award stays being included w/the waived resort fee? Hilton Diamond member. Also curious about good upgrades with the diamond status.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Considering a stay here in April. Anyone have an update on the elevator situation and free parking on award stays being included w/the waived resort fee? Hilton Diamond member. Also curious about good upgrades with the diamond status.
I did a cash stay from 3-7 Feb in the wing NOT overlooking the pool. The lift was a tad slow but not unbearably so. Hilton Silver so can't comment on upgrades.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by dannybhoy
I did a cash stay from 3-7 Feb in the wing NOT overlooking the pool. The lift was a tad slow but not unbearably so. Hilton Silver so can't comment on upgrades.
Thanks for the update. We're going next month.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I usually stay here about 1x/month. Elevator situation remains unchanged. As a Diamond, most of my upgrades have been up to a higher floor rather than a better room. My ratio is probably 1:4 for actually getting a suite.

Their parking/resort fee continues to evolve. I miss the days when the place first opened and parking was free.(although way too few available parking spots). But in my last reward stay, they provided full resort fee benefits including parking but didn't charge for it. A few stays ago I had a paid rate that included parking but was charged for parking and had to have it refunded which was a hassle.

Things are still progressing with plans to tear down the shuttered hotel next to the Doubletree and put a new Hilton Garden Inn in its place. Since it's the same developer, I hope they reconfigure the parking lots around both places. I don't know of any HGI that charges for parking and maybe they'll ditch parking charges at the Doubletree once they're done reworking the area.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:59 pm

Stayed at the hotel this week. (March 16-22). Full award stay. Got all the benefits including full valet parking and Diamond upgrade and had a bill of $0 at checkout.
I did the continental breakfast. Buffet is a $10 additional. I had a very pleasant stay. I had a vey nice suite. The staff is very friendly. Note 5 min drive to airport and 5 min drive to downtown Hilo. Enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by trk1
Stayed at the hotel this week. (March 16-22). Full award stay. Got all the benefits including full valet parking and Diamond upgrade and had a bill of $0 at checkout.
I did the continental breakfast. Buffet is a $10 additional. I had a very pleasant stay. I had a vey nice suite. The staff is very friendly. Note 5 min drive to airport and 5 min drive to downtown Hilo. Enjoy your stay.
Just checked out from a 3 night stay and my stay was almost identical to yours. Award stay, upgraded to an ocean view room w/lanai, and got all the resort fee benefits for $0 at check out. The "continental breakfast" I thought was pretty lame as it only included the "cold items". I wasn't going to pay $10 extra each for eggs/potatoes. Great location by a beautiful park and on the gorgeous Banyan street - aka, banyan trees! Definitely loved it! Beautiful grounds, lobby, hotel restaurant, etc...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:45 am

Elevator Fixed

I just wrapped up another stay and was surprised to see all elevators functioning properly.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:51 am

This place needs more elevators. Waits can be long during high traffic times.

I booked 5 nights at the cheapest prepaid cash room and was upgraded to Ocean view on the 10th floor. I was pretty satisfied with that.

I also booked another room(cheapest room type) for the same 5 nights through an OTA(CSR UR booking via expedia). I received the same room type at check in on this booking. I checked in both rooms by myself at the same time. They also included Continental breakfast for both rooms, which I only found out when the bill came on the first breakfast. That was a nice surprise considering it was an OTA.

The views from the rooms are nice. So my questions is are these rooms considered an upgrade? Was the Continental breakfast for the OTA booking given as courtesy or does everyone get that? If these ocean view high floor rooms are considered upgrades, and Continental bfast isnt free for everyone and they extended my Gold "benefits" to the OTA room, I'm impressed. I've never booked a Hilton or Marriott through an OTA.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:45 am

Changes to breakfast starting tomorrow. Full breakfast is still an upcharge for Gold and Diamonds, however omelette station is gone and no longer included in the full breakfast upgrade. Omelettes are now ordered, $6 on top of the hot breakfast upcharge.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Staying just before Christmas '19 for two nights on points. The forecast is rain till Dec 29 and ocean next to hotel is very muddy.
No upgrades for this Diamond (even after pointing to the fact of lanai room available for sale for the two days and the front desk going to the back room presumably to consult with the manager) but the room on top floor of Mauna Loa wing as initially assigned. Basically, "you get what you book on-line".
Long lines to check in. Had to stop by again at front desk to get water.
Breakfast keeps evolving. The coupon says "$11 for Continental" and $10 upcharge for full.
When checking at the restaurant were told that upcharge is $6 and was ensured that eggs are NOT from powder.
We did one upgrade to get soggy potatoes, Portugeese sausage, and overcooked beacon.
On the continental side one type of yogurt, cottage cheese, bagels and appetizing pastries, water-like juices, pineapple, but local papaya was good. Coffee is a light brown water and one had to ask for refills.
The omelette station was nowhere found.
Overall, one of the worst breakfasts in DoubleTree in USA I had for a long time. The restaurant also looked somewhat depressing on this rainy day.
I had better breakfasts in Hampton Inns.
The check did reveal $6 upcharge ($6.27 with taxes) but the cost of continental went up to $16 and the same $16 were credited.
Ocean views are good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.