Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Reviews of this property:
Print Wikipost

Grand Naniloa Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We're just staying for one night after a long drive seeing Volcanos National Park, then leaving the next day to get back to Kona. We were hoping just to chill at the hotel and dine there.

Why can't they just muster up a decent restaurant?

Is there any restaurant worthwhile within walking distance? I know we won't want to drive anymore.
Not sure what you consider "worthwhile" but Hilo Bay Cafe is walkable and we found the food good but service was sketchy but a nice place. We actually liked Ponds Hilo very good and really enjoyed the meal and service. As mentioned, there is more not too far away if you decide to drive just a bit.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Doubletree lite an oasis of sorts in Hilo

Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Hilo Naniloa Hotel

93 Banyan Dr Hilo, HI US 96720

Doubletree lite an oasis of sorts in Hilo (14 Photos)

Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Check In

The experience works ok for checkin.  There is a counter with 4-5 podiums to check in with, but typically 2-3 are staffed at one time.  Agents are getting better with the Hilton systems and cookies are offered.  However there is a serious issue with parking.  My first stay at this property they ran out of passes, so people parked wherever.  And Hilton recognition has been inconsistant.

Room

IMG_20170106_152849414_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20170106_153023916[1].jpgIMG_20170106_153032465_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20170106_152838798_HDR[1].jpg

Several different setups available.  The biggest complaint I had was the lack of air conditioning. Several calls didn't see a resolution.  Decent Doubletree products, one can tell its a refurbed hotel.  But it's a lot better.1_IMG_20170106_152835411[1].jpg

Bathroom

IMG_20170106_153317675[1].jpg

IMG_20170106_153000870[1].jpgIMG_20170106_153023916[2].jpg

And yes, that's a bathtub in the centrer of the room [King Room]

IMG_20170106_153154393[1].jpg

Service

Reasonable service, but not always reactive to needs.  On two different stays I've had issues with the air conditioning, or lack thereof.  The temperature just didn't go down, although the air was blowing.

Dining

Free breakfast coupons were given to us as Hhonors Gold.  This is a bit of a joke, but has improved since the property has gone under the DoubleTree umbrella.  This is downstairs below the checkin desk, and does seem like a temporary setup.  Service is slow, and entrees tend to run out.  If they have the bread pudding, do try it.  This was in my opinion, the highlight of the meal.  But its rather carb heavy.  They do have miso soup and rice as well catering to some of the local tastes (and visitors).  But I'd say the Hilo Farmers Market is a better option for breakfast.

Directly on the coast- its beachfront without the beach.  It looks like one can snorkel/swim right out in front of the property but the Font Desk didn't reccomend it as it's a bit polluted there.  Under high surf conditions, the ocean will spray right into the pool. (which would be closed).  This happened one visit where a hurricane passed over the island (was a tropical storm by that point but still very wet).

IMG_20170107_094620312[1].jpg

IMG_20170107_094623772[1].jpg

One highlight for flyertalkers is watching aircraft on approach into ITO.  They make a turn right after flying by downtown Hilo, so it's exciting to watch the HA717's coming in nearly every hour, or occasional widebody by HA or JL.  Even the military has an assortment some days.

IMG_20170107_095301975[1].jpg

Overall

This is an older property with potential.  I stayed here mid renovation and it was an ok stay.  Proper Doubletree bedding and towels help.  The overall feel of the property is tropical, and staff seems responsive at first.  But follow through is not consistant.  One stay I tried to get engineering to come up several hours to look at the air conditioning.  But despite several calls to the Front Desk, they never showed up.  We eventually were offered to move to another room, but it was past 10 PM and all ready to sleep.

Parking is also a serious cluster.  There are not enough spots by the hotel.  And overflow is not communicated; its across Banyan Drive (part of the golf course), filled with potholes in the paved sections, otherwise its parking on gravel and grass.  No real lighting, it didn't seem safe to leave a car there.  The Front Desk did agree this is an issue.IMG_20170106_153245279[1].jpgIMG_20170107_080809552[1].jpg

Doubletree lite an oasis of sorts in Hilo

Would you like to write a review on the Hilo Naniloa Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:02 pm

I guess the AC is hit or miss as ours was quite cold. We did close up the curtains when we left for the day, which we always do, as we like pretty cool rooms at night.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
We're just staying for one night after a long drive seeing Volcanos National Park, then leaving the next day to get back to Kona. We were hoping just to chill at the hotel and dine there.

Why can't they just muster up a decent restaurant?

Is there any restaurant worthwhile within walking distance? I know we won't want to drive anymore.
Hilo Bay Cafe is the obvious choice. About a five minute walk, and food is probably best in Hilo.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Hilo Bay Cafe is the obvious choice. About a five minute walk, and food is probably best in Hilo.
Thanks to everyone for every new bit of info. Glad we're just staying one night.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Grand Naniloa Review: May 18-20, 2017

Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720

Grand Naniloa Review: May 18-20, 2017 (29 Photos)

Why Here?

My wife and I were visiting the Big Island. We flew into and out of KOA and explored by driving around the island in a clockwise direction.  Two of the nights that we were on the island, we stayed at the Grand Naniloa since it is the only hotel property on the eastern side of the island that is part of a major hotel chain (Hilton or Marriott or any other) and, for its price and features, is an extremely good deal – especially considering the rates that are being charged on the Kona side.

The Reservation

I booked this property directly through the Hilton website a few weeks in advance at an AAA rate of $132.05 per night.  At this property, it appears that the cheaper rooms are on the lower levels of the Mauna Kea wing (northernmost part of the hotel) and have limited views (see below).  If you’re interested in a room with a better view or more space or both, I’d suggest you browse amongst the different room types before reserving.

The Property

As a historical property and one of the hotels that's part of the Historic Hotels of America, the Grand Naniloa has been in existence since the 1930s and the current hotel structure appears to date back to the 1950s/60s.

Using an image available from the property’s website, here’s a great view from an aerial vehicle looking southwest toward the hotel:

2_grandnaniloa-externalhotelimage.jpg

Besides its affiliation through Hilton, another draw of this property is the Banyans Golf Club/Naniloa Golf Course – which I didn’t play – a 9 hole par 35 course.  It appears that guests can play the course each day once for free (http://www.grandnaniloahilo.com/free-golf/)

As others have noted and a quick search on this property shows it has been undergoing a renovation.  When we stayed there in mid-May 2017, the renovation was still ongoing and different parts of the property are still to be started or even done.

Layout

To provide some orientation and to show off my Google Maps 3D and Paint skills, the following image illustrates that the property is composed of 3 room blocks (Mauna Kea Wing, Mauna Loa Wing, Kilauea Wing) and the main hotel services section that links the room blocks together:

1_grandnaniloa-3d-1.jpg

Another annotated view from Google Maps shows the former restaurant/conference area that also needs work, the challenging main parking areas as well as the overflow parking across Banyan Drive that’s part of the golf course:

1_grandnaniloa-3d-3.jpg

So, if you want to stay at a hotel property in Hilo that’s on the water, this is really one of the better ones.  Note that it doesn’t have a beach – if you want any number of those, you’ll need to visit one of the beach parks further east on Kalanianaole Avenue.

The property sits on a peninsula that sticks out into Hilo Bay. On Banyan Drive, it is situated north and east of Hilo and is just north of ITO. Here’s a view from Google Maps of where the Grand Naniloa sits relative to the airport:

1_Grand Naniloa - Hilo - 04.jpg

Additional Google Maps' views are available from the images that I’ve uploaded to my photobucket account.

Check In

I had planned to check in via the Hilton Honors app.  Unfortunately, I didn’t remember until we were driving along Mamalahoa Highway along the north shore of the island and there was no signal.  It would have probably been better had I had done so in order to have been able to select from different rooms.  Ultimately we arrived at the hotel around 5 PM while there was both daylight and self parking.  If you’d rather drive up to the front, the hotel has a beautiful porte cochere.

grandnaniloa-portechochere.jpg

When you enter from porte cochere, the lobby and front desk have a great view out to the bay and ocean as well as videos rolling to your left of the performances of native Hawaiian dances and hulas from Merrie Monarch festival held annually in Hilo that the hotel is a part of. Since this is a DoubleTree property, you’ll get a warm chocolate chip cookie for each person in your room.

Room

Room 221:

Since I wasn’t thinking about what room we might get, I accepted the room that was assigned – Room 221.  In the Mauna Kea Wing (rooms x14 through x36), the odd number rooms (x15 – x33) basically have views east and mostly of the adjacent properties and not the bay.  Also, the odd number rooms do not have a balcony – in a different day, the windows of the 2nd floor odd number rooms in Mauna Kea might have opened so you get out to what is a mini common balcony but that’s no longer feasible.

This is what it looks like outside of the room and its adjacent corridor:

dtgn-hilo-18.jpg

dtgn-hilo-19.jpg

221 is a 2 double bed guest room with the ubiquitous Kim Taylor Reece photo art above the bed:

dtgn-hilo-20.jpg

As noted, here’s the room’s view out to the not-accessible common balcony, toward the water and the covered connector to the closed restaurant: (the window’s hardware gives away the hotel’s construction origins from the 1960s)

dtgn-hilo-21.jpg

The closet/desk/microwave-mini-fridge common unit (note mini-safe in closet):

dtgn-hilo-23.jpg

dtgn-hilo-24.jpg

dtgn-hilo-22.jpg

The bathroom has a sliding pocket door that is most likely from the original’s hotel construction (repainted multiple times since then but still worse for wear):

dtgn-hilo-29.jpg

The bathroom has a common tile scheme and continues the use of the wood laminate from the desk common unit. Shower/bath, with this tile scheme, is a rather small enclosed space when the shower curtain is drawn:

dtgn-hilo-25.jpg

dtgn-hilo-28.jpg

dtgn-hilo-26.jpg

dtgn-hilo-27.jpg

While I wasn’t terribly happy or thrilled with this room, we weren’t planning to spend our whole 2 days in it so I was willing to live with its limitations.  However, after getting back from dinner and getting ready to bed down for the night, we found its additional limitations.  When the small fridge would enter its cooling cycle, it would trigger a grounding fault on the power circuit that it shared with the microwave so that the microwave would then beep.  Then, when the fridge ended its cooling cycle, it would hit the same grounding problem and the microwave would beep again.  This also occurred when the fridge door was opened or closed. Needless to say, the incessant beeping of the microwave is not conducive for sleep.  I finally moved the fridge and unplugged the microwave in the middle of the night.  Additional investigation in the morning by my wife determined that someone had burnt and spilled something in the microwave that quite likely shorted the unit and, if you opened the microwave’s door, offered up a rather horrific smell.

That’s when we decided to move.

After breakfast at the buffet (see below), we packed up our bags and then made our way down to the lobby and front desk.  At that point, I made the request for another room.  I’d note that this is no small matter for my wife who prefers to not have to move night after night to different properties so I knew that I had one shot at this.

Once I explained the problems with the microwave and the power, the desk clerk reviewed the available rooms and offered up a 1 king bed guest room.  Likely, had I made the request later in the morning or potentially in the early afternoon, I might have been able to negotiate something larger but we wanted to get on with the day and find a suitable room to move to.

I then went up with one of the bellhop’s and inspected the room and worked with him to transfer the bags between the rooms.

Room 328:

Also in the Mauna Kea Wing, room 328 is one of the even number rooms (x14 – x32) with views directly west toward Hilo and of Mauna Kea (and some of Mauna Loa) as well as the bay – and have individual balconies.

The 3rd floor of the Mauna Kea Wing looks amazingly similar to the 2nd floor so no images are shown in the review but are available on my photobook feed.

As noted, 328 has a single king bed and a small sitting chair:

dtgn-hilo-37.jpg

The same connected closet/desk/microwave-mini-fridge common unit – but that didn’t go beep when the fridge door was opened or closed:

dtgn-hilo-39.jpg

And a similar bathroom with pocket door (not shown) as with the previous room:

dtgn-hilo-42.jpg

dtgn-hilo-43.jpg

Here’s the view looking out from the room (note balcony tile is same as that used in the bathroom):

dtgn-hilo-38.jpg

If you wanted to wake up at 7 am, here’s what I saw as a composited image:

dtgn-hilo-stitch01.jpg

And, if you were willing to wait an hour, here’s what happens when the trade winds and the two tallest volcanoes on the planet decide to generate their own weather (and eliminate the view to their peaks):

dtgn-hilo-stitch00.jpg

dtgn-hilo-stitch05.jpg

Compared to the previous room, Room 328 was definitely an improvement – and would have likely been a bit more expensive had we booked it to begin with.  Considering what is being offered as well the prices for the rooms, we would now likely pick one of the more view-oriented and/or spacious rooms if we were to return.

Pool & Fitness

Here’s a view of the pool at night from the balcony of one of the rooms we stayed at:

1_dtgn-hilo-46.jpg

The Fitness Center is located on the bottom floor of the main hotel services section and looks out over the bay:

1_dtgn-hilo-stitch07.jpg\

Prettier images of the pool during the daytime and a nicely lit view of the fitness center are available via the hotel’s photo gallery (http://www.grandnaniloahilo.com/gallery/).

Additional Comments

The rooms in the Mauna Loa Wing all face to the west – here’s a view of the common access corridor for rooms on the 3rd floor:

1_dtgn-hilo-51.jpg

Not sure if these rooms in the Mauna Loa Wing then have real balconies but at least they seem to have sliding glass doors:

dtgn-hilo-1.jpg

Additionally, the remodeling work over in the Kilauea Wing was on-going when we were at the hotel and still hadn’t completed sufficiently so that any rooms were available at that time.

And, yes, parking is a pain here.  If you don’t get to the hotel by 6 PM, you’ll likely be circling looking for an open space.  There’s parking across the street at the golf course but there’s not much light at night under those banyan trees and the lot’s not flat.

Dining

Breakfast was served buffet style for $16/person at the Sandalwood dining room located on the lower floor of the hotel’s main service section.  While they have the standard (U.S.) continental fare of cold pastries, fruit and juices, they had a person making waffles and hot chaffing dishes with items such as fried rice, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc.   It appeared that they continued buffet style dining for both lunch and dinner but we weren’t around for either dining period.  Also, because of my Diamond status, the cost of breakfast was waived.  We were sure to tip generously given the good service we were provided for coffee, other drinks and keeping the table clear of used plates, etc.

I’d also highlight that the demolition and construction that was ongoing at the lower level of the Mauna Kea Wing is for a new restaurant that the hotel apparently plans to name Bayfront.  Given where they were when we stayed at the hotel, the new restaurant will likely not be ready until sometime later in the summer or early fall.

One additional note: when I was working with the bellhop to bring our bags from our first room to the second, I asked him about the closed restaurant at the water.  He said that he wasn’t aware of when it might get any work done to it but that it was a shame how poorly it hadn’t been maintained – a quick inspection walk of that side of the property shows that it’s been many years since it was last opened and needs a whole bunch of work.  One consideration might be to demo it and then build a whole new wing to the hotel.  However, given its siting and view, I think that dining there would have been kind of fun.

Overall

As compared to other larger properties in and around Hilo, the renovated Grand Naniloa is definitely an improvement.  Because of its association/affiliation through DoubleTree and Hilton, it is clear that HHonors members have a certain expectation of what the hotel should be.  I would emphasize that, even with the investment so far made to bring the hotel up to what is likely one of the more upper end hotels in Hilo at this point, it will take even more dollars and time.  I know that both I and my wife would return and do recommend the hotel that we stayed at in mid-May 2017.

As a final note, as the bellhop that has worked at the hotel since the early 1990s said, the current owner is the third since he’s started there.  And since this is the Garden Isle, the view of overall time horizon may be best expressed in terms of units of “Island Time”.

David

p.s. If interested, you can search on the web for older images of the Naniloa Hotel going back a few decades. In addition, more photos and images from this stay are located at: http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/leedavide/slideshow/DoubleTree_Grand_Naniloa_Hilo_HI_2017-05 (slide show) or http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/leedavide/library/DoubleTree_Grand_Naniloa_Hilo_HI_2017-05 (individual images).

Grand Naniloa Review: May 18-20, 2017

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:55 am

Thanks - very helpful. I'm glad we're only staying one night, and as long as we don't get any appliances that go beep in the night I'll be happy.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:53 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Grand Naniloa review: July 2017

93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, HI 96720

Grand Naniloa review: July 2017 (6 Photos)

There are two previous reviews and for the most part our room and such was the same, so this post will consist of adding information that was unique or interesting about our stay.

Check In

The check-in area consists of three desks in an open-air space when arriving at the hotel. We found this area to be frequently congested. Furthermore, it's right next to a bar area where there is live music playing, so when we arrived in the early evening, it was difficult to hear the workers since we had to shout over the band. When we arrived around 6:00 PM we were told that our room was not ready -- it had been cleaned but not verified. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a supervisor to verify our room before we were given keys. All in all, after a full day of driving around the island, sitting in the hotel lobby was not all that enjoyable.

We were given 2 waters and 4 breakfast vouchers (more on this later), and 1 parking pass (more on this later).

IMG_8115.jpg

Room

We reserved (via points) an oceanfront room and that's what we got. There are 12 floors in the hotel and we were given a room on the 4th floor. The room had what is probably one of the best views in the facility. The sliding glass door opened to a lanai that had 2 chairs. Unfortunately there was no screen door, and there were bugs that made their way in when it was open, so we couldn't leave the door open overnight to hear the surf or smell the sea breezes.

The beds, microwave, TV, etc., were mostly as pictured in the other reviews. I found it interesting that our shower/tub combination *only* had a showerhead. So while it may have been possible to take a bath, you would have needed to fill it via the shower. Also, the bathroom "door" was a sliding wooden panel, with a tiny thumb-hole, and ours was not properly on the track and was therefore incredibly difficult to slide.

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

Dining

This breakfast buffet was a pretty weak, and at times disgusting, offering. As a diamond I was issued 2 vouchers per room per night, which had no information on them other than an expiration date. The "continental" section consisted of two kinds of fruit, bread with toaster, and a very limited supply of pastries. Hot food was breakfast potatoes (which were mushy even after a new tray was brought), scrambled eggs (which in some cases still had powder), bacon (which was tough and inedible), rice, and sausage. There was a waffle/pancake station with one waffle iron, which was unattended, and the warmer meant to contain pancakes/waffles was empty. My wife's comment summed it up well: "I hope we don't get sick from this."

Upon conclusion of the meal we were informed that the vouchers were only good for the continental and that there was a $6 per person up-charge. On our way out, we handed off our remaining vouchers to other diners and sought alternate breakfast arrangements for the remainder of our stay.

DSC00501.jpg

IMG_8117.JPG.jpg

The location of the property is on Banyan Drive. Our "virtual tour guide" app pointed out the small signs next to the banyan trees of various celebrities that planted the trees mostly in the 1930s. Among the trees present are Amelia Earhart and Franklin D. Roosevelt. The hotel is also within walking distance of the LiliÊ»uokalani Gardens which is also worth a visit. (Aside: we highly recommend the "GyPSy" driving tour apps on iOS - even at their $5-10 price point, very much worth it.)

With this said, Hilo is one of the rainiest places around, so chances are that it will be raining for parts of your stay. This is especially troublesome given the parking situation. The overflow parking for the hotel is across the street, and a good 5 minute walk from the front entrance. We found that the main hotel parking was generally full by 6:00 PM or so. The overflow parking lot is an inadequately lit, gravel surface shared with the golf course, and the only lights are the ones from the golf course building -- there are no lights in the parking lot itself. My wife twisted her ankle on a stray rock over there.

My camera is excellent in low light so this photo looks quite a bit brighter than it actually was:

DSC00523.jpg

Wifi

The wifi registered an impressive 45.77 down, 18.24 up.

The hotel seemed to use its own wifi infrastructure (the SSID was "WIFI@NAN" or some such, not the usual "hhonors" / "attwifi"). I wish more Hilton properties would do this...

Overall

Overall, while the stay was mostly pleasant. However, the breakfast was low quality (and adding insult to injury, accompanied with an undisclosed $6 upcharge) and the parking situation was annoying bordering on unsafe. It's by no means the Bates motel, but as compared to other Hiltons and DoubleTrees, I do not recommend this hotel.

Grand Naniloa review: July 2017

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Two solid reviews ^

And they mirror my thoughts.

I'd say its among the better options on the ITO side, and I've stayed in some special places on the island.

I like the place and stayed there before and after the reflag so I can see the improvements. But little things irk me, and there is also the parking. So once they finish the projects, it should be a solid property. However the cost will be quite a bit more in that case, which is unfortunate

I think for a day or three its fine, especially if checking out ITO and Volcano.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
2 fantastic reviews!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:53 pm

Well I have an interesting situation.

I've been monitoring the rates for our one-night stay in September, and just hit the jackpot (so I thought).

Ocean View, with Lanai, for a few dollars less than the other rooms (it is a Queen Bed vs. King so I thought that would account for the difference.

Big problem - it is an accessible room, which we don't need, and I don't like to take those away from those who do need them.

I made a reservation anyway and called the hotel to say we didn't need the accessible room...she said "Oh, that's a glitch on our website. It's not an accessible room" - I thought "yay!"...and said that's great, we don't need an accessible room, and the ocean view lanai sounds wonderful.

She THEN says "oh, it's not ocean view, it's resort view, and it does not have a lanai".

I've got a piece of paper that says OV, Lanai, accessible...what would you do?
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

Really, guys, I need some advice.

Can a hotel have a price/room type on their website (it is now more than 24 hours since they said it was a "glitch/mistake", it is still up)

The only reason I called was because I liked the price (and this was not a $2 "mistake price") but didn't want to reserve an accessible room in case someone really needed it...

What IS going to happen if I do nothing else except show up with my confirm showing OV/Lanai...if they say then, sorry, you have a resort (parking lot) view with no lanai, what recourse do I have? I'm not sure if Hilton has a "room type" guarantee for Diamonds?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
I would email the Diamond Desk

Really, guys, I need some advice.

Can a hotel have a price/room type on their website (it is now more than 24 hours since they said it was a "glitch/mistake", it is still up)

The only reason I called was because I liked the price (and this was not a $2 "mistake price") but didn't want to reserve an accessible room in case someone really needed it...

What IS going to happen if I do nothing else except show up with my confirm showing OV/Lanai...if they say then, sorry, you have a resort (parking lot) view with no lanai, what recourse do I have? I'm not sure if Hilton has a "room type" guarantee for Diamonds?

Eujeanie, I would email the Diamond Desk and explain the situation as you have done here. I would ask the DD to contact the hotel for clarification on the details of the room type you reserved, being that there is a discrepancy between the website description (ocean view with lanai) and what has been communicated to you when you called (parking lot view with no lanai). Explain in the email that you reserved the room type based on the online description, and that you'd like an assurance that you will receive the room type you booked (minus the need for an accessible room). I would be polite, yet firm, that you reserved an OV/lanai room, and that is what you (as a diamond member) expect. Hopefully the DD can obtain this assurance from the hotel directly. By all means, print out their response and take it with you to the hotel just incase there is still any confusion.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
Eujeanie, I would email the Diamond Desk and explain the situation as you have done here. I would ask the DD to contact the hotel for clarification on the details of the room type you reserved, being that there is a discrepancy between the website description (ocean view with lanai) and what has been communicated to you when you called (parking lot view with no lanai). Explain in the email that you reserved the room type based on the online description, and that you'd like an assurance that you will receive the room type you booked (minus the need for an accessible room). I would be polite, yet firm, that you reserved an OV/lanai room, and that is what you (as a diamond member) expect. Hopefully the DD can obtain this assurance from the hotel directly. By all means, print out their response and take it with you to the hotel just incase there is still any confusion.
I appreciate the advice, except for a couple of things...the "glitch" rate is now gone from their website, and also gone from my reservation! My reservation now says "2 queen standard room"...I don't think I have case because it obviously was a mistake rate, and I COULD book a room with a lanai for more money (since we're only staying for one night I'm not going to bother).
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:50 pm

And the saga continues...I knew I wouldn't want to be without a lanai, especially since it doesn't seem that there is much seating in the room if you don't have one. So, keeping the same number of points for a Cash & Points I had before on the "fake" accessible lanai, and again on the real No lanai, we sprang for a legit lanai which turned out to be only $20 more and the same number of points we committed to before.

Looking forward to bugs, parking far away in a dirt lot, and a crappy breakfast.

But hey, we'll get triple HH points!
not2017 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.