FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Tampa Downtown {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1678556-hilton-tampa-downtown-us-fl.html)

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant May 8, 2015 5:01 pm

Hilton Tampa Downtown {US-FL}

I have option to stay at either my usual ES next to the Convention Center, or give the Hilton another try. I stayed at the Hilton the first month it opened (last year?) or was rebranded. No lounge, they stood me up at the airport/gave bad shuttle info, room was musty and tired, awesome view of a parking garage next door, desk staff was inexperienced and didn't even think to apologize for shuttle issues upon checkin when I brought it up to them, etc. Good breakfast was only redeeming quality.

With that stellar lead-in, I figure: might have been teething pains for a couple-week new property. Haven't been back,but I'd *hope* they'd have hit their stride by now.

Anyone stay recently with feedback to share?

se94583 May 8, 2015 5:15 pm

Stayed there in February. Meh on rooms and the view. Nicely done but nothing extraordinary. For the airport shuttle, you call and there is a charge but it was prompt in my experience. Fitness center and pool are OK. There was a lounge but I did not bother with it because I was there for the Gasparilla running race. In retrospect, I'd stay at the Mariott nearer to the convention center and will do so next year. Or I'd do the ES as you noted as this property is no better than your average ES.

aww3583 Jun 9, 2017 9:16 am

Stayed here this week.

Valet service ($24) was quick and friendly.

Check-in agent was very cordial. I had booked a 1K Executive Floor room. I was not upgraded despite high floor, enhanced view, and suites being available, as confirmed on the HHonors App at the time of check-in. I should have cancelled and rebooked as the lowest level suite was now priced below what I paid for my 1K room.

I checked in at 8:00PM and inquired about the executive lounge. The agent said "No, the lounge is closed. But it will be open at 6AM for breakfast." The website said the lounge is open until 8:00PM, but the sign on the lounge door said it closes at 7:00PM. Oh well.

I asked for two bottles of water and the check-in agent said "There are two bottles in your room. Ignore the price tag saying they are $5 each. We don't charge Silver, Gold, and Diamond HHonors members."

They included a wi-fi access code with my room key. I used the access code to logon to the network from one device and my Diamond credentials on another. The "premium" internet that all Diamonds receive was 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up. Unusable for anything other than basic web surfing. The access granted by the code given to me was 6Mbps down and 6Mbps up. Why go through all of the logistics to have various access levels? Seems cumbersome and goes against the published Hilton policies.

The room was small but efficient. The bed was comfortable and the linens were very clean. It had a full walk-in, glass shower which was above average in size.

Breakfast in the lounge was as expected. Two meats, scrambled eggs, no potatoes, and various pastries and fruit. The selection of drinks was above average with lots of bottles of juices, sodas, and waters available. Additionally, there were plenty of energy and protein bars along with trail mixes available to take.

I called the valet to bring the car around in preparation for checking out. Check-out was quick and friendly and my car actually beat me to the front door, something that I've never had happen with a Hilton valet before.

All in all, not a bad stay. The short hours on the lounge and the sub-par wifi service were disappointing. Breakfast and customer service were above average. If I were to visit Tampa again, I'd try skip the Hilton and try the Embassy Suites nearby as a comparison.

sallyerd Jun 10, 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 28422684)
Stayed here this week. Valet service ($24) was quick and friendly. .... All in all, not a bad stay. The short hours on the lounge and the sub-par wifi service were disappointing. Breakfast and customer service were above average. If I were to visit Tampa again, I'd try skip the Hilton and try the Embassy Suites nearby as a comparison.

In the past year, I have stayed at the Embassy suite and at the Hilton downtown Tampa. My vote is now for the Embassy suite. I like the full suite that is roomier and the roomier free manager's reception area that includes liquor (Hilton Exec. lounge (EL) has no free alcohol). Hilton food/snacks were not good enough to overcome the hassles of a tiny, crowded EL. Most of all, I liked the Embassy views of the bay and riverwalk. At the Hilton, we were upgraded to a suite and pool view but had to wrestle with the FD agent for it (despite Diamond). Embassy upgrade view was graciously provided from the comments I wrote into the online booking form.

TravelinSperry Jan 21, 2018 9:09 am

How is the area around the hotel? Is it better worse than the area around the Westshore? What about the area v the Embassy Suites? Or are they super close?

sleuth Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 29320357)
How is the area around the hotel? Is it better worse than the area around the Westshore? What about the area v the Embassy Suites? Or are they super close?

Downtown pretty much shuts down after 5pm. Westshore Blvd is going to have more dining options (Starbucks at both ends), two malls (on each end). It’s very easy to get downtown without a car. HART route 30 runs along Westshore Blvd and straight down Kennedy Blvd into downtown if you have business to attend to.

Westshore is a safe area to walk around at night but then again I’m a native so somewhat biased I guess. Downtown isn’t “dangerous” but it’s creepy after sundown.

TravelinSperry Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 29320445)

Downtown pretty much shuts down after 5pm. Westshore Blvd is going to have more dining options (Starbucks at both ends), two malls (on each end). It’s very easy to get downtown without a car. HART route 30 runs along Westshore Blvd and straight down Kennedy Blvd into downtown if you have business to attend to.

Westshore is a safe area to walk around at night but then again I’m a native so somewhat biased I guess. Downtown isn’t “dangerous” but it’s creepy after sundown.

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Will move to a Westshore property then.

sleuth Jan 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 29326163)
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Will move to a Westshore property then.

If you’re not tied to a Hilton branded property, the Westshore Grand on the corner of Kennedy/Westshore used to be an Intercontinental. It’s actially a very nice hotel. Embassy Suites Westshore is directly across from Westshore Mall. Hilton Westshore is a bit out of the way on Lois Avenue. You’d need a car for the Hilton. Hampton Inn is directly behind the Starbucks on North Westshore. The rooms at the Hampton are actually pretty nice. We evacuated to it during Irma.

TravelinSperry Jan 23, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 29326318)

If you’re not tied to a Hilton branded property, the Westshore Grand on the corner of Kennedy/Westshore used to be an Intercontinental. It’s actially a very nice hotel. Embassy Suites Westshore is directly across from Westshore Mall. Hilton Westshore is a bit out of the way on Lois Avenue. You’d need a car for the Hilton. Hampton Inn is directly behind the Starbucks on North Westshore. The rooms at the Hampton are actually pretty nice. We evacuated to it during Irma.

Funny, that's exactly the hotel I booked. Great minds ;)

sleuth Jan 23, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 29328330)
Funny, that's exactly the hotel I booked. Great minds ;)

The Hampton? If you have a car they offer free parking. You might just see me at Starbucks haha.

TravelinSperry Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 29329343)

The Hampton? If you have a car they offer free parking. You might just see me at Starbucks haha.

The Westshore Grand, Starwood.

sleuth Jan 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 29331601)
The Westshore Grand, Starwood.

Ah ok good choice. Not sure if they still have the Intercontinental decor or not. My high school prom was held there many moons ago.

saint77 Jan 18, 2020 6:40 am

what a sad affair this hotel has been

ugly little rooms despite being on the Executive level

the Club evening experience was like locusts descending on a corn field with the huge number of people in there and you could buy Bud Lite for $5 a bottle, a complete joke

that said, at least the breakfast downstairs was decent

planes&trains Feb 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by saint77 (Post 31965378)
what a sad affair this hotel has been

ugly little rooms despite being on the Executive level

the Club evening experience was like locusts descending on a corn field with the huge number of people in there and you could buy Bud Lite for $5 a bottle, a complete joke

that said, at least the breakfast downstairs was decent

Time to change my booking I guess. I am due there next week and I was glad I ended there after the horror stories about the Embassy Suites slowdown issue. And they are not inexpensive for next week. Looks like some event in town. Hope I can find an alternative.

gkbiiii Jan 24, 2021 12:48 pm

I enjoyed my stay, when this hotel was a Hyatt.