Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

Old Apr 28, 15, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach {US-HI}

I just read that Hilton will be bringing its Hilton Garden Inn brand to Waikiki (2330 Kuhio Street, Honolulu) taking over the former Ohana Waikiki West.

Hilton to Open New Waikiki Hotel.
Old Apr 28, 15, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Great to have another option in the area, thank you for the heads up.
Old Apr 29, 15, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

since it isnt a new construction, its simply a Yawn by me, after seeing and staying at both the CY and HP in Wakiki if its not new construction then it wont be anything to talk about and wont resemble anything to the reg HGIs here on the mainland.
Old Apr 29, 15, 1:27 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by bearkatt; Jun 21, 16 at 6:44 am
Old Apr 29, 15, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Terrific! No resort fee too. @:-)
Old Apr 29, 15, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz View Post
since it isnt a new construction, its simply a Yawn by me, after seeing and staying at both the CY and HP in Wakiki if its not new construction then it wont be anything to talk about and wont resemble anything to the reg HGIs here on the mainland.
I'm not so enthralled with architectural conformity that I will ignore a new mid-priced Hilton offering near Waikiki. It's an area that doesn't see too much new construction. I'll let the reno wizards have their turn before I dismiss it.
Old Jun 20, 16, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...r-june-20.html

Opens today. Lobby looks nice (from peeking in). Attractive market/cafe on the corner for those who can't stand to go into yet another ABC Store. The building exterior of the hotel tower doesn't look very appealing, as it is in the style I've called Outrigger Moderne for decades.
Old Jun 20, 16, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Great urban Waikiki location . . . adjacent to the Food Pantry and half a block from Marukame Udon.
Old Jun 20, 16, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Great urban Waikiki location . . . adjacent to the Food Pantry and half a block from Marukame Udon.
The in-building market is apparently run by the same folks as the Food Pantry.
Old Jun 21, 16, 6:43 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
http://shopinternationalmarketplace.com/ this hotel used to be across the street from the "back" entrance to the international market place. I hope it will still be like that when the new one opens in august.

Last edited by bearkatt; Jun 24, 16 at 6:53 am
Old Jun 22, 16, 12:14 pm

I stopped by last night. I only come to Honolulu for work, so the upcoming Hampton Inn in Ewa Beach has much more location appeal. The Kuhio location is something of a blessing (right on the bus line; not on Kalakaua and the resort-fee-free experience spares me a "hit" to per diem.) The lobby is more like...something else...maybe an aLoft(?) Definitely not off-the-rack HGI fixtures. The pool area is large, especially by HGI standards, with a bar and "seating" (lounges, chairs) for many dozens. I couldn't get into the fitness center, but it looked like it was junk equipment (not Precor, Life Fitness, Technogym.) Introductory materials say this is the 700th HGI and the largest in the world.
Old Jun 23, 16, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Planning to stay here in December, usually I stay at the Hilton a few blocks away. Close to Queens beach and Udon place, and no resort fee! I found that MVP rate gives the best rates for here.
Old Jul 2, 16, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
From the pictures on the hotel website, the rooms look 'cozy' (i.e., very small) & they have gone the Marriott route of taking out desks which takes this off my list of hotels for work.
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:47 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki

Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

2330 Kuhio Avenue Honolulu, HI US 96815

Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki (16 Photos)

I stayed in this hotel one night on July 6-7, 2016 with my wife and son. This hotel has only been open as a Hilton Garden Inn for a couple weeks now. Overall it's a nice property with friendly service. There are still a few kinks to work out, such as unreliable internet and walking to another resort for breakfast until their restaurant opens. Here's my experience (diamond member)...

Check In

I had originally booked 1 night at 60k points in a "2-double-bed city view" room. About a week before arrival the rate dropped (team USA code) to $160/night so I changed the booking to cash. OLCI the day before showed us assigned to room 5xx, and the day of changed to 11xx. At check-in I was thanked for being a diamond member and given the two bottles of water.

I asked if they did upgrades for diamond members, and the front desk agent had to check with her manager and then put us in room 1665. Besides being a higher floor I'm not sure what exactly the upgrade is, but beggars can't be choosers.

20160706_195910.JPG

Room

The room is pretty small. Upon entering there is a sink to the left, which turns out to be the bathroom sink. The toilet and shower are behind a sliding door to the right. The room itself has a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker, and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. There was no desk in the room, but rather a round table with a bench. The sliding door does open and the balcony is sufficiently large to go outside (and there are chairs and a table). There is a nightstand between the two beds with 2 wall outlets and 1 USB outlet. It's clearly very recently refurbished.

20160706_195154.JPG

20160706_195220.JPG

20160706_195240.JPG

20160706_195124.JPG

The balcony on this particular room faces east and does not have a view of the ocean.

thumb_IMG_0273_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0280_1024.jpg

Dining

The restaurant for this hotel is not complete yet (the website says October, and the sign on the street says "opening this summer"). The breakfast is at Duke's Waikiki, which is about a 10 minute walk as it is in another resort. While that's not the most convenient, I will say this is the best breakfast buffet I've ever had "in a Hilton" -- eggs benedict, omelette station, banana pancakes, 2 different types of sausage, Hawaiian fruit, passionfruit and guava juice, etc. And it's right on the ocean. This is temporary until the HGI's own restaurant is finished, but it was fantastic. (Retail price was $17 which I would have happily paid.)

thumb_IMG_0285_1024.jpg 

thumb_IMG_0286_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0287_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0288_1024.jpg

Internet

The wireless internet at this hotel left a lot to be desired. Upon arrival we connected devices (computers and iPhones) to hhonors/attwifi and got IP addresses but no login page. About an hour later, the login page started working and I got decent performance: 5.7-6.0 MBps down, 5.6 MBps up, ping around 100 to Los Angeles. The next morning, the internet was again not working. I called the tech support number and they were unable to authorize my device and then said there was a network outage in the area. I'm posting this review from my phone via tethering. :(

Other Pictures

20160706_194958.JPG

View from the elevator exit lobby.

20160706_195012.JPG

Hallway leading to rooms.

20160706_195028.JPG

The ocean is (somewhat) visible between the buildings. For "ocean view" rooms it would look something like this.

20160706_195550.JPG

The welcome information with information about breakfast at Duke's.

20160707_093226.JPG

Restaurant is opening in Summer 2016 (website says October).

Overall

If traveling alone or for business, I'd definitely stay here.

Breakfast was awesome.

The small (double) beds and small rooms aren't ideal for a large family though. It was pretty tight here for even one night, and quite a change from 2 queen beds plus a sleeper sofa at the Embassy Suites the past couple nights. Since the "upgrade" for a diamond member is to a room with a better view, be sure to book the bed size you actually want if traveling with a larger family.

Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 8, 16, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
That review helps me as I am staying there this Wed-Sunday for business. Breakfast at Duke's is an unanticipated pleasure. One thing I noticed from the pictures is the two bed room has no way to watch TV unless your on the bed. Which I really hate. I see that the one king bed room has a couch to sit on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: