Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Kauai/Wailua Bay {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dcislander
  • Gold and Diamond receive two (2) full buffet breakfasts (billed as $24) with one item in addition ordered off the menu (i.e. omelet)

As per latest posts, Diamonds do not get free breakfast but receive $10 a day My Way benefit (or 750 pts).
  • Diamond status covered multiple rooms (breakfast was included for the additional rooms - i.e. 3 rooms booked by diamond on points and all 3 received breakfast)
  • Gold/Diamond receive 2 free water bottles per day (sometimes have to ask) even though there is a tag on them saying $2
  • Resort fee waived by paying with points
  • 2 Bike rides included - highly recommended early in the morning beginning in town about 10 min drive away to the north.
  • Moments away out behind the property is the ocean shore with a path to walk on - highly recommended
  • Shell leis were given to each guest checking in
  • a box of macadamia nut chocolates were given only to diamond members 1st time, 2nd time a box of hawaiian cookies
  • checkout at 11am and on request extended to 12 pm
  • storage for suitcases until evening in a secured area by the front desk (right behind them with tags/numbers with matching tag for you to hold onto)
  • No airport shuttle
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:59 am

Any recent experiences with this hotel?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Udoo
Any recent experiences with this hotel?
Staying there next week. I will report.
Udoo likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
Staying there next week. I will report.
Just finished a week stay at HGI Kauai. In reviewing the past posts, I am in agreement with the pros and cons listed. Here are a few of my observations as a diamond member:

This facility was built to be an Aston hotel, so it is quite different from the cookie cutter Hilton Garden Inn design. The use of wood, especially in the rooms, reminds me more of the Mauna Kea resort on the big island. Very elegant. But, a bit dark. It is difficult to make the room light enough for our tastes. Large windows which opened fully, but nobody dared since there were flies, moths, and other critters (no mosquitoes) around. No screens on the windows, just like almost all the rest of the world outside of north America. I think this level of architectural sophistication would merit a Doubletree moniker, but am always amazed by the overlap of Hilton brands worldwide.

Although we were acknowledged as diamond members, there was no upgrade offered upon check in. We were given shell or nut leis (probably given to every guest), free breakfasts, and seven drink coupons for 2 drinks each. Although these were labeled and promoted as free mai tais, they could be used at the lobby bar for well drinks, such as gin and tonic. The coupons were limited to mai tais at the pool bar.

Diamond parking- a separate lot which used to be a shuffleboard and other games area. Unstriped, often near full, and flooded in downpours. We used this lot frequently. If the main parking lot in front is full, find the one to the right of the building down a dimly lit driveway.

Breakfast was served to 10am. It consisted of the normal HGI items plus pineapple and occasionally some good papaya (but no lemon). It also lacked oatmeal, but this could be ordered from your server. Your server will also bring omelets, pancakes, etc. plus a special of the day (crepe, breakfast burrito, etc.) Normal charge for breakfast is $24. No extra charge for the roosters which wander through.

Room- a king on the top (3rd LOL) floor. Small elevator but just one flight of stairs up from the lobby on 2nd floor. Unusual barn door to bathroom which covered up the closet when opened. TV stored the channel you were watching when turned off. It did not revert to the hotel channel – a plus. Although we were told we qualified for premium wifi, there was no way to access it. The wifi was adequate (18mbps down and up) and you only had to log in once for the whole stay – a BIG plus. Wifi is important here if you are a Verizon subscriber since the cell service was almost nonexistent around this facility. Diamonds were given 2 bottles of water in the refrigerator.

Air Conditioning – unusual in that the thermostat bottomed at 68 degrees and really only cooled the room to 70.5 degrees. It is not the best sleeping temperature for us, but not the worst either. With the A/C on low fan, the room was a very quiet 31 dbA – similar to a quiet library.

One more diamond benefit - a box of local cookies delivered along with a note from the manager thanking us for being diamond. This occurred on our third day. I don’t know what would happen if we checked out earlier. Also noon was the late checkout time. Status did not seem to matter.

As others have described, the traffic on Kauai is wickedly slow. Many times we could have walked faster than the traffic was moving. Also, you cannot make a left turn onto the highway during the morning hours. Finally, use your GPS to find the hotel if you are checking in at night. It is difficult to see the sign and the lighting is bad. We nearly drove by.

Hope this helps. I can try to answer any other questions.
Westcoaster, EqualOpp and Udoo like this.

Last edited by dlaue; Nov 25, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Just finished a week stay at HGI Kauai. In reviewing the past posts, I am in agreement with the pros and cons listed. Here are a few of my observations as a diamond member:

This facility was built to be an Aston hotel, so it is quite different from the cookie cutter Hilton Garden Inn design. The use of wood, especially in the rooms, reminds me more of the Mauna Kea resort on the big island. Very elegant. But, a bit dark. It is difficult to make the room light enough for our tastes. Large windows which opened fully, but nobody dared since there were flies, moths, and other critters (no mosquitoes) around. No screens on the windows, just like almost all the rest of the world outside of north America. I think this level of architectural sophistication would merit a Doubletree moniker, but am always amazed by the overlap of Hilton brands worldwide.

Although we were acknowledged as diamond members, there was no upgrade offered upon check in. We were given shell or nut leis (probably given to every guest), free breakfasts, and seven drink coupons for 2 drinks each. Although these were labeled and promoted as free mai tais, they could be used at the lobby bar for well drinks, such as gin and tonic. The coupons were limited to mai tais at the pool bar.

Diamond parking- a separate lot which used to be a shuffleboard and other games area. Unstriped, often near full, and flooded in downpours. We used this lot frequently. If the main parking lot in front is full, find the one to the right of the building down a dimly lit driveway.

Breakfast was served to 10am. It consisted of the normal HGI items plus pineapple and occasionally some good papaya (but no lemon). It also lacked oatmeal, but this could be ordered from your server. Your server will also bring omelets, pancakes, etc. plus a special of the day (crepe, breakfast burrito, etc.) Normal charge for breakfast is $24. No extra charge for the roosters which wander through.

Room- a king on the top (3rd LOL) floor. Small elevator but just one flight of stairs up from the lobby on 2nd floor. Unusual barn door to bathroom which covered up the closet when opened. TV stored the channel you were watching when turned off. It did not revert to the hotel channel – a plus. Although we were told we qualified for premium wifi, there was no way to access it. The wifi was adequate (18mbps down and up) and you only had to log in once for the whole stay – a BIG plus. Wifi is important here if you are a Verizon subscriber since the cell service was almost nonexistent around this facility. Diamonds were given 2 bottles of water in the refrigerator.

Air Conditioning – unusual in that the thermostat bottomed at 68 degrees and really only cooled the room to 70.5 degrees. It is not the best sleeping temperature for us, but not the worst either. With the A/C on low fan, the room was a very quiet 31 dbA – similar to a quiet library.

One more diamond benefit - a box of local cookies delivered along with a note from the manager thanking us for being diamond. This occurred on our third day. I don’t know what would happen if we checked out earlier. Also noon was the late checkout time. Status did not seem to matter.

As others have described, the traffic on Kauai is wickedly slow. Many times we could have walked faster than the traffic was moving. Also, you cannot make a left turn onto the highway during the morning hours. Finally, use your GPS to find the hotel if you are checking in at night. It is difficult to see the sign and the lighting is bad. We nearly drove by.

To follow up on dlaue very good summary I thought I would mention a couple of items and I will add to wiki.

-diamonds received a box of chocolates (macadamia nuts covered in chocolate - I heard them say this was only for diamonds)
-your status covers however many rooms you book - I booked 3 rooms for 3 nights. I was prepared for a backup plan of my parents gold status and I even tried to ask to attach my parents gold # they said they couldn't do that but my diamond status covered each room. Yay!

Best Hilton on the property (only one but still good). Obviously not like some aspirational properties (we have stayed at the Grand Wailea on Maui, Hilton Moorea, Conrad Bora Bora, Conrad Maldives) but still a very good property.

-2 bike rentals*2 included - in my opinion this is one of the highlights - be at the bike shop exactly at 9 am and enjoy the cool misty breeze that transforms to hot sun over the course of your ride. Fantastic views and we would repeat again - in fact we will in a week when we stay one more night on the way back to the airport.

-not enough seating around the pool during busy times - the hotel was completely booked and there were some minor verbal confrontations about whose chair was whose.

-a great place to lounge is on the very comfortable couches in the center atrium. There is a constant mild breeze augmented by the 20 foot circular fans on the ceiling (seriously - these things are huge!)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:42 am

Breakfast vouchers

Thanks for the update! Were the breakfast vouchers specific to certain days? Or could we use 4 one day and none the next?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:41 pm

If I recall correctly there were no vouchers issued for breakfast, only for drinks. The breakfast was handled by the maitre d, who checked a list to see your status and put a small cardboard marker on your table indicating "diamond" or "gold." Thus I conclude that you could not skip one day and get 4 free breakfasts the next.

I would ask when checking in. You will find the staff very helpful.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If I recall correctly there were no vouchers issued for breakfast, only for drinks. The breakfast was handled by the maitre d, who checked a list to see your status and put a small cardboard marker on your table indicating "diamond" or "gold." Thus I conclude that you could not skip one day and get 4 free breakfasts the next.

I would ask when checking in. You will find the staff very helpful.
This is correct - it’s just done from a sheet at the breakfast host’s desk. I got a room here between Christmas and New Year using a Diamond guarantee. It was ridiculously expensive, but that’s another story. There were four of us in the room, all adults, and the receptionist checking us in kindly allowed all four of us to have an inclusive breakfast. This was done by accepting the charge for the other 2 people, which was then waived at checkout. If you don’t ask, you don’t get, so it’s always worth a try...
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

I would love a report on current benefits if anyone stays here during COVID. Also, what is the situation on area restaurants - closed, shortened hours, takeout only? Any good places to eat?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The redemption rate has been lowered for Nov and Dec this year (except Xmas and maybe Thanksgiving). Great deal.
Next year is still all 50k as far as I have seen. Maybe they'll lower some in time.

Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
5 nights Kauai - HGI Wailua Bay thoughts?

Planning a trip to Hawaii for the family (4 adults) in August. Setting aside COVID issues for now (we'll see what happens) we're planning on 1 night in Waikiki to show the kids the Arizona Memorial, then 5 nights Kauai, 10 nights Waikoloa Hilton on the Big island, and finally 7 nights Maui at grandparents timeshare.

I like the HGI Wailua since (even thought I have to purchase 70k points for $350) we get 5th night free, and avoid taxes and resort fee on Points stays.

Any feedback on the area? Do I need to rent a car for all 5 days, or is Uber a possibility? (Or is there a car rental place close to the hotel, where I can do a day rental conveniently once or twice?)

Or should I avoid it, fork over cash, and stay somewhere else (for 4 nights)? Maybe an AirBnb?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:20 pm

See the reviews on this place:

Unfortunately, all the reviews predate COVID.

You will need a car on Kauai. The tourist destinations are dispersed and at long distances. Traffic can be a problem on Kauai.
johnndor likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; SPG/Mar Platinum; UA Silver
I have never stayed at this property (I've stayed at the Westin Princeville (excellent), the Sheraton Kauai (nice enough) and the Grand Hyatt (wonderful)), but I've looked at it a bunch. It seems like a decent-enough place. But I suspect you can do better on this island (although perhaps not as economically...).

And yes - a car is essential. The major agencies are close to LIH.
johnndor likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
The hotel backs right up to a public park, very mellow walking / biking trails, and a little protected snorkeling area that's rock-walled off from the waves. A quick bike ride / long, long walk away is some small shopping complex with some restaurants.
That's it.

I could see maybe spending a day on the beach there with little kids building sandcastles or snorkeling, but that's the max time I'd spend soley on property. Like everyone's said: Car is probably necessary.

It's a nice enough hotel, breakfast and grounds are good, but it's a base not a destination.
johnndor and EqualOpp like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Thanks all - this would be more of a base for exploring the island as opposed to staying there for much time. We'll have more time to chill at a resort on Maui and Hawaii.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by johnndor
Thanks all - this would be more of a base for exploring the island as opposed to staying there for much time. We'll have more time to chill at a resort on Maui and Hawaii.
Did you ever takke the trip? Thinking of making the property my base for a trip planned in May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.