Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reward Certificate(s) + Points Reservation NOT an option?!

Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Hello All!

Quick summary:

Trying to book (4) nights at a Conrad property with (2) nights on weekend certificates and (2) nights on points.

Hotel requires a minimum (4) nights for the standard rate to show (anything less than 4 nights and only the premium room rates shows for 250k+ points).

When I called to book, I was told that this was NOT possible because they cannot book the reward certificates and the nights with points together, only as separate reservations. This obviously doesn't work because my certificates are only for (2) nights, and my points are only for (2) nights. Therefore not triggering the the standard rate which only shows on a minimum length of (4) stays.

Is this correct or did I just get a misinformed agent?

Sees silly to me that they cannot combine these options on their end.

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Hello All!

Quick summary:

Trying to book (4) nights at a Conrad property with (2) nights on weekend certificates and (2) nights on points.

Hotel requires a minimum (4) nights for the standard rate to show (anything less than 4 nights and only the premium room rates shows for 250k+ points).

When I called to book, I was told that this was NOT possible because they cannot book the reward certificates and the nights with points together, only as separate reservations. This obviously doesn't work because my certificates are only for (2) nights, and my points are only for (2) nights. Therefore not triggering the the standard rate which only shows on a minimum length of (4) stays.

Is this correct or did I just get a misinformed agent?

Sees silly to me that they cannot combine these options on their end.

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated!
If you are referring to the 5th night free elite status reward you need to redeem points for all five nights. If you are referring to an AXON reward then you have to redeem points for all five nights. Free night certs received with credit cards do not count.
See, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sfer-math.html

If you are referring to some other length of stay discount based upon the day you are there (for example, including a weekend -- this would be more common with a cash rate) you could try contacting the property.

If you are referring to the base rooms not being available unless you book for four nights then you could try to contact the property.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 19, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, however I am not trying to book an AXON reward or the 5th night free benefit.

I am looking to book (4) nights at the Conrad Koh Samui. (2) of those nights with weekend certificates earned from the Citi Reserve Card, and (2) nights on points that I have in my account.

For the dates I am looking for, the Conrad Koh Samui is requiring (4) night stays or more for standard room rates. Anything less than that, and no standard room rates are available, only premium room rates.

As I am sure you are aware, you can only use weekend certificates when a standard room is available.

I called to book all (4) nights in the manner listed above, however the rep stated that the reservation has to be split into TWO reservations. One with the reward certificates, and one with the points only booking.

Since splitting the reservation in half changes the stay to (2) nights a piece, only premium rates are showing on their end.

The rep confirms that standard availability is available for (4) nights, however she cannot combine the both methods to make the reservation.

Does this make more sense?

Last edited by Dsm2m2; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:52 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, it makes sense from a quick look. I see two choices here:

1. Escalate beyond the CSR that is unwilling to look for ways to resolve and speak with a supervisor that should be able to enter multiple payment methods for the four-night booking.

2. Contact the property directly and more specifically the Sales & Revenue department AT the property (asking for reservations may get you back to HH). Explain you are trying to book your four nights but want to pay with a cert & points. They may be willing to make two nights stays available or override their system for your booking.

Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:46 am

Can you post the dates you want to book?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
I believe the HHonors rep (Erin) and her team may be of assistance. Try sending a PM to the HHonors rep and ask them if the can manually set up your reservation. Good luck. ^
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have spoken to two reps now and I did get escalated to a 'redemptions' person however each person I talk to seems confused as to what it is I am actually trying to do.

She did say I could call the hotel directly, which I might do once the time at the property is during 'business hours'

For reference, It is the Conrad Koh Samui Dec. 26th - Dec. 30th. If you search those dates you will see STANDARD room availability for those four nights. If you search less than 4 nights (Dec. 26th-28th for example) you will see NO availability as I assume the hotel does not want short stays during this time period.

If I had enough points for 4-nights I could book the room online no problem, but since I want to use certs for two nights and points for two nights, they are saying it cannot be done.

I believe above I said Conrad Tokyo, which was a mistype as I was actually booking the Conrad Tokyo when I was typing this. I edited it above.

I also messaged Erin on here to see if she can help.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You're going to Ko Samui during Full Moon Party/New Year's Party on Ko Phangnan. They do indeed want longer stays for that...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're going to Ko Samui during Full Moon Party/New Year's Party on Ko Phangnan. They do indeed want longer stays for that...
I am actually not going during any of those or specifically for that reason.

Additionally, I understand that they want longer stays during peak periods, I am not objecting to that. I am just trying to see if there is a way to split my reservation into separate payment types without being charged the premium room rate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:20 am

This is going to be a really interesting one to see the outcome to, given the fact that a lot of us get these certificates, a lot of us want stays longer than 2 nights, and that properties really do go nuts over the length of stay requirements at busy periods.

At the end of the day, they are open to 4-night points stays. And the certificates, if you've redeemed them before you see that they really show as points. The reservation will say XX,000 points/night. So I'm assuming the property gets compensated on the back end at the points rate. In my mind, then, I don't see why the property would care. I think that dealing directly with the property MAY be the best solution here. Skype?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:24 am

I have proposal you could try. Use the 2 cert and the points on 4 nights at that hotel but NOT at the dates with the restrictions. Now because you used the certs, they will show up as being booked on points for the 2 nights.. and another 2 nights with actual points. Now call back and see if you could move those 4 nights to the 4 nights in Dec...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I have proposal you could try. Use the 2 cert and the points on 4 nights at that hotel but NOT at the dates with the restrictions. Now because you used the certs, they will show up as being booked on points for the 2 nights.. and another 2 nights with actual points. Now call back and see if you could move those 4 nights to the 4 nights in Dec...
I might actually try this. I spoke to someone at the hotel today, however they were even more confused as to what I was trying to accomplish.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Or, book 4 nights with points, then call the hotel and ask them to change 2 of the nights to use the weekend certificate instead.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Or, book 4 nights with points, then call the hotel and ask them to change 2 of the nights to use the weekend certificate instead.
Yeah that would be easier but he has to have enough points for 4 nights @ 95000 points per night...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I know this is an old topic. But I am facing the same situation as the person who make the original post. Can "Dsm2m2" member update me what his/her final outcome with the booking? Can you successfully use your 2 reward cert and points to book the 2 + 2 nights as described and was charged standard room rate? Or did you try one of the proposal that other members suggested (ie. use the cert and points to book on other dates first, then change it to the actual dates you want).

I am very interested to find out the outcomes so I can do the same. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.