Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Maison Astor Paris, Curio Collection (Paris) {FRA} (France) (was Astor-Saint Honore)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maison Astor Paris, Curio Collection (Paris) {FRA} (France) (was Astor-Saint Honore)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
I stayed in the Maison Astor last week, saw this thread pop up and figured I would weigh in as well.

1. I liked the hotel and would definitely stay again, location was very good for me and my wife.
2. WRT appropriately acknowledging my Honors status (i am not diamond) they brought me 2 new water bottles everyday which is most important to me
3. I can confirm they only had 1 english channel, CNN, this did not offend me
4. Breakfast was typical of non luxury "European Hotels" from my perspective, We are Americans but live in Europe, so I like to think we have adjusted to that difference.
5. Room size was small, but not uncomfortably so in my opinion (Doubletree Kensington London is too small for my taste as an example)
6. Concierge was great to me and spoke very good english, I observed them interacting with many guests very helpfully
7. Agree that we were able to hear people in the halls from inside the room.
8. It appears to be overwhlemingly Americans staying there the week I was there.
9. Bar service and selection was poor by American standards but completely acceptable by French standards

I would sum up the Maison Astor this way. Not a "western" nor luxury hotel but was a good value for me in Paris. Easy location to get to/from many places in Paris.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Forgot to add that the hotel power went out for 5 hours during our stay and the hotel notified us only the night before.

As a a follow up to my visit:
The hotel reaccomodated us with the Master Room type after pushing hard to do so. The master room is probably just under 300 square feet I would estimate. While much bigger than the standard room type, the room has its flaws. My biggest gripe was the lack of lighting. The room was very very dark- we could hardly see anything.

My sentiments about this property remain the same, I would not stay here again or recommend it. I was expecting 4-4.5 star global standard and this hotel simply doesn’t deliver. It’s hard to articulate, but this hotel just lacks something and I can’t quite put my finger on it.

To add to the previous poster in the thread- we also had issues with the bar. The bar was a complete mess, dishes everywhere, no help and the item I tried to order was already out. The bar also lacks ambiance- lighting is terrible.

I am kicking myself for not staying at Hilton Opera.

Originally Posted by globetraveler

At Maison Astor now. As a Diamond, I’m overall not too impressed with elite recognition, and would recommend Hilton Opera if given a choice.

First room was a closet, hotel claimed no upgrades available when in fact larger room types were available via Hilton.com for same date range. Our “King Room” type which is 3 rooms up from the standard category was a closet with a TINY bathroom. I’ve stayed in small rooms but this one was unacceptable. When I vocalized my discontent with the room selection I was told repeatedly that this was all that’s available. I would have dealt with it for one or two nights, but not for an entire week. The hotel finally came up with a solution after pushing hard.

Other initial observations:

- lots of noise in rooms from neighboring rooms, voices could be heard

- loud noises funnel into rooms from the hallways

- our room is very dark- very poor lighting

- only 1 English Channel on the TV! (CNN)

- breakfast is better at some Garden Inn properties- food was sparse to say the least and service is nonchalant. I asked for a menu and was looked at as though I had 3 heads. Long story short- no menus available- only a couple sad cold eggs. This is really disappointing as I choose this property over Hilton Opera based on my perception of breakfast quality.

Overall I’m really disappointed by the overall quality of the experience here. I was anticipating a high end boutique experience but everything so far suggests otherwise.

The real highlight, if there’s a silver lining here, is the quality of the concierge. Sebastian is fantastic and a real asset to this property.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by globetraveler; Dec 2, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
We have a stay booked here in February for our first trip to Paris. It was between this or Paris Opera. Has anyone stayed at both properties that can compare them?

It seems like both have pretty severe mixed reviews, which has me going back and forth on which to book. Currently we are in a Guest Room w/Terrace.

From what I have been reading it seems Astor has better service, but may not be that great for Honors benefits.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In fairness I haven’t stayed at Hilton Opera, but I really think it’s about what you value most.
Honors recognition was non-existent at Astor and they don’t have many room types to upgrade into. Even the Master Room and Balcony rooms are on the smallish side. If you want a better shot at a suite I’d book Hilton.
Couple things to consider:

-Astor has a more “of the beaten path” albeit good location. It’s on a small street where as Hilton literally sits on top of a metro station

-If you want highly personalized concierge service Astor excels here

-breakfast sucks at Astor- surprisingly I think Hilton would be better (plus you’ll get a lounge if you’re gold elite or higher)

- gym sucks at Astor, Hilton has a much larger gym

- Astor has one English Channel on TV. Yes you’ll be in Paris but if you’re there for a few days or more it would be nice to have more channels

-Bar is nothing to write home about at Astor.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by brentyb
We have a stay booked here in February for our first trip to Paris. It was between this or Paris Opera. Has anyone stayed at both properties that can compare them?

It seems like both have pretty severe mixed reviews, which has me going back and forth on which to book. Currently we are in a Guest Room w/Terrace.

From what I have been reading it seems Astor has better service, but may not be that great for Honors benefits.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:38 pm

Having just stayed at Maison Astor and Hilton Opera this past week, I'm surprised that the Maison Astor breakfast has gotten so much slack here. I personally enjoyed the Maison Astor breakfast, in their relaxed luxurious Dining Room - far more than the one at the Breakfast Room next to the Exec Lounge at Hilton Opera. Yes the food selection is lesser at Maison Astor, but overall high quality and steadfastly enjoyable, with generally good smiles and service from the servers.

Whereas breakfast at the Breakfast Room was crowded and noisy. Attendants both at the Breakfast Room and Exec Lounge there look hassled and made every attempt to avoid eye contact, beyond doing the basic functional tasks like taking down your room number when you first enter. The vast quantity and variety of food doesn't always translate to quality. And I could do without the really meh evening cocktails at the Exec Lounge - tiny area with tables pushed so close to one another that there was hardly any elbow room. All in all, not worth the EUR 20-50 premium per night to stay at Hilton Opera just to have access to the Exec Lounge and other Diamond benefits beyond breakfast.

Agree with the fine concierge at Maison Astor - Stefan was a gem with spot on restaurant recommendations and personalized service.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Would greatly appreciate input on whether to stay at the Maison Astor or Opera later this month. Will be there with my wife for 3 nights, am HH Gold, and have booked entry level rooms at both properties using points. My top three priorities are 1) clean, 2) quiet, and 3) good quality breakfast. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Only know the Astor, and found the breakfast quite disappointing in terms of choice and quality - for this price category.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Staying here now. Must admit I had some trepidation based upon this thread, but wanted to share my thoughts.

Breakfast is a relaxed atmosphere, in the dining room. It's actually quite lovely. The selection is not what I would call large, but it is perfectly adequate. And compares well with most other European hotels I have stayed at.

I can't comment on all the rooms, I booked what I wanted (Suite with a Terrace) and it's as spectacular as I would have hoped for. Very large balcony/terrace. We have had dinner on it twice now. Table seats 6 comfortably (There are only three of us). The Balcony and room for 3 was what I really wanted. This room would sleep 2 adults and 2 Kids very comfortably. The rooms are small (but typical for Paris) however they make great use of the space they have.

Other random thoughts: Concierge has been a great help so far. Mini-Bar has a few items, replaced daily. No ice-machines or Ice buckets, but if you ask at the bar they will give you one, filled with Ice (we asked for Room Service to give us one, and they did).
AStarr likes this.

Last edited by Dad to Rei; Jun 21, 2019 at 8:53 pm Reason: room type
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Reading conflicting reviews of the breakfast. For those that have stayed can you describe what the breakfast for Gold/Diamond is? Buffet? From a menu? Do they cap the amount per person/room?

And for those that have also stayed Opera, how does it compare to what is offered there?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Reading conflicting reviews of the breakfast. For those that have stayed can you describe what the breakfast for Gold/Diamond is? Buffet? From a menu? Do they cap the amount per person/room?

And for those that have also stayed Opera, how does it compare to what is offered there?
I stayed at both hotels as a Diamond earlier this year and don't have bad memories about Astor breakfast. It is a buffet with a decent selection (for European standards) of hot and cold options in the Dining Room - the buffet itself is in a separate adjacent room. Not sure if there was any a-la-carte option, if there were it would be paid I assume. There was no F&B credit concept.

At Hilton Opéra I stuck to the Exec Lounge breakfast, which was also a buffet, more limited in my recollection than Astor.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: none
Can someone vouch on if they would let us stay in one of the rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids? We are a family of four and would prefer to stay together since the kids are still young. Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by hieunha
Can someone vouch on if they would let us stay in one of the rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids? We are a family of four and would prefer to stay together since the kids are still young. Thanks.
Did you look on the website and put in two adults and two children? Thats the only way you can really tell. I checked and only the top suite allows four persons - and from our trips to Europe with a family of four we usually have to get two rooms. Europe hotels are very strict and four to a room is pretty rare. When we went to Paris with our boys I just sucked it up and paid for a hotel in a better area vs. a Hilton property.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by hieunha
How old are your kids? We just stayed over Xmas with a 2 + 5 year old in a paid Junior suite and wasn't given too much grief. The front desk agent checking us in did say that it was only supposed to be for 3 people and made "an exception" :P
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel just opened again after the covid closure of 6 months. Staff is absolutely lovely, special shout out to the concierge Stéphane and front office manager Amalie. They made our stay and made us feel so welcome.

My Hilton gold status was acknowledged and they apologized they could not upgrade us as we already booked one of the highest lever rooms, a room with a terrace. Which was amazing I can say so. We did not use the breakfast, as we had plans already.

We booked a terrace room, and the view is amazing. I attached a few photos. We’ve stayed at quite a few hotels in Paris but this is definitely our favourite. We already booked a room here for later this year ☺️😀.

Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:16 pm

I was booked into the Tapestry Collection but it won't be ready in time so I have (eventually) been moved to the Maison Astor. Any recent stays by Diamond members?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.