Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport {CAN}

Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport {CAN}

Old Apr 14, 15, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DAL Diamond, HH Diamond
Arrow Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport {CAN}

Just a question if anyone may know (Diamond desk did not know)

There is apparently a "new" Hampton Inn either under construction or about to open at the Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) airport.

The hilton web page has shown "expected to open April 2015" for months now - the phone number for the property goes to a full VM box...

does anyone know the status of this property?

TIA

doug
Old Apr 15, 15, 10:30 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Last time out at the airport (last Sun 12/04/15) I didn't see anything looking like an open Hampton Inn - I'll pay more attention next time (this Fri) and let you know if I spot anything. You're probably aware there is a HGI there, though?
Old Apr 15, 15, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

awesome - thanks. here's where it is "supposed" to be... i suspect this is a ghost... that it was planned and never built.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...ons/index.html

doug
Old Apr 15, 15, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver
No, this is not a ghost. the sign has been there for a while and although it has been a while since I have been to this specific area of town, there was a building being put up - next to an existing Holiday Inn Express. It is close to the airport, but not as close as the HGI property which is extremely close, but not attached to the airport
Old Apr 22, 15, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Drove by the property to day. It is indeed up and the Hampton Inn logo is on the building. There seems to be some work that remains to be done though and I have not seen a sign saying "opening soon" or "now open". It does share the parking lot with a Holiday Inn
Old Apr 29, 15, 10:38 am
Original Poster

.. cool!

Thanks!

and obtw, this hotel is now accepting bookings via hilton.com

so good news!

doug
Old Dec 28, 17, 4:23 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I have been to the Hampton Inn YOW a couple of times. It is hard to find reasons to go there compared to the Hilton Garden Inn YOW:
- HGI is very close to the airport and you can even walk if the weather is good and if you do not have much luggage. HI is a bit more of a ride and too far to walk.
- HGI has a much better breakfast and restaurant
- Rooms at HI are very small. HGI more spacious
- You earn more points at HGI
- Cash rates and point redemptions are usually similar between the two. Maybe a bit higher at HGI on average, but at least 40% of the time you can find cheaper at HGI than HI so it's not rare.
- There are no suites at HI, unlike HGI.

One of the few advantages of HI is that there are a couple of restaurants walking distance. At HGI you only have the restaurant of the hotel. By the way, that restaurant at HGI is quite nice. I rarely eat in a hotel restaurant but this is one of the few that I enjoy.

On a related note, a Homewood Suites will open in early 2018 very close to the Hampton Inn YOW, and a Courtyard will open very close to the HGI. So two more airport hotels very soon.
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Hampton Inn Ottawa Airport = Good for Airport Layover

Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport

1 Review | 100% Recommended

2869 Gibford Dr Gloucester, ON CA K1V 2L9

Hampton Inn Ottawa Airport = Good for Airport Layover (3 Photos)

As I mentioned last year, I used to prefer the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and to some extent I still do.  However cash rates have recently been more attractive than in the past at Hampton Inn, making the value proposition better than it used to be.  I recently found a Best Rate Guarantee which I was never able to get at Hilton Garden Inn, making the price difference a no brainer in favor of Hampton Inn for my most recent stay.  The Hampton Inn is a bit farther away from the airport but they also have a free shuttle bus so access is easy.

Room

This is not a luxury hotel by any means, it's Hampton Inn brand, but if your expectations are set accordingly then the hotel does everything right which is why it is getting high ratings on Trip Advisor from many travellers. The hotel is relatively new so the rooms are in good condition. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Rooms have a microwave and mini-fridge which is convenient.  The shower is in the bathtub which I do not like, but that is the same as for most rooms at HGI.  One downside of Hampton Inn is that since this hotel does not have suites then as a Hilton Honors Diamond guest you cannot hope for a room upgrade.  I would note that I have not received a suite upgrade at Hilton Garden Inn in ages despite being a frequent guest so the lack of suite upgrades at Hampton Inn has become a non-issue for me, relatively speaking.  

IMG_1766.jpegIMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast is included in the rate and is actually quite decent compared to competitor hotels. For example, they have berries available instead of only standard hotel fruits, you can also sprinkle shredded coconut on your fruits, they have several hot food options for example omelettes, waffles, bacon, etc. 

Overall

Overall this hotel does not disappoint in any major way, offers good service, and is a decent choice for an airport layover.  Depending on dates the cash rates are often low enough to provide good value for the money, although sometimes without Best Rate Guarantee the pricing is not attractive so I just book somewhere else (for the same price, I book HGI).  I would note that a Homewood Suites has recently opened just a block away from Hampton Inn, so it's another Hilton option available, but usually more expensive than Hampton Inn and HGI.  Also besides the HGI, the new hotel is a Fairfield Inn, not a Courtyard as I wrote in my comments last year.  The increase in hotel rooms available near the airport is putting pressure on rates for existing properties such as the Hampton Inn.  More competition is good.   

Hampton Inn Ottawa Airport = Good for Airport Layover

Would you like to write a review on the Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes