Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Quality

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Hampton Quality

I'm an occasional customer at Hampton. Curious if people notice or care about the product received. Yes, I can still count on a decent mattress and clean room. My list of peeves has grown over the past few years and the current stay at the Reno NV Hampton has me adding to the list. Brand standard is always mentioned when I inquire about any slights.

1) Bathroom paper products. Rough and tough......Kleenex disappeared a few years ago.
2) Bathroom towels have gone to cotton/polyester blend. Imported from Pakistan.
3) Breakfast seems to decline with each stay. I still look and notice, quit eating anything offered a long time ago. Picked up a plastic fork today and wonder if they could possibly locate cheaper plastic utensils. And the styrofoam bowls/plates much different than I remember from a few years ago.

I doubt most notice, or care enough to comment to the hotel. Do you?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:31 am

Eh, I stay at a decent number of Hamptons and have not noticed much to complain about. I will give you the kleenex thing. But the rest of it I am not sure I can get too worked up about. Pakistan is a prety well-regarded textile producer; the Hilton Worldwide towels at the HGI I am currently at are poly blend and from India, same towels as always. Hampton breakfast has been the same forever as I recall, just hope for bagel toppers. Yeah the plasticware is flimsy - I assume/hope it is the biodegradable stuff given the volume of waste they produce.

In my experience Hampton, alongside HGI, is the most consistent of the brands and I will take one any day over a tired old full service property from the 1970's that nickel and dimes you for everything.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
Hamptons in the UK are pretty good, every time I stay in one the service is especially friendly. They're all quite new which helps in a country where many competing hotels are very tired and dated.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: United Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at about 50 different Hampton Inns last year, (no, my work travel is rarely to glamorous, exciting locales and fancy hotels) and I can say, some Hamptons are better than others. One thing I have noticed is it seems the selection at breakfast is getting a little repetitive. Can't remember the last time I saw Bagel Toppers, or Biscuits and Gravy, for example. more times than not it's the scrambles "eggs" and bacon or turkey sausage. Really like the maple cured sausage, but don't see that much either. Do like the fact they offer hard boiled eggs now. Still, in all, I can usually find something to get me going in the morning, and I don't have to dip into my per diem to do it. Haven't really thought much about the towels, but will say that the toilet paper is usually more like rice paper! (but I think that's true at most hotels) All in all though, Hamptons are still my first choice for the type of business travel I do...
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
I have limited experiences with Hampton Inn - not that many yet in Europe.

All of the four Hamptons I have stayed at in 2014 and 2015 were quite new accordingly. Świnoujście (Poland) and Berlin are excellent hotels, where they assign good rooms (with balcony and/or family room) for me as a Diamond, and offer a very good breakfast - plenty of fresh bread rolls and pastries, fresh cut fruit, good selection of ham and chees and hot items. Both have premium tea bags in-room.

Birmingham (UK) has the Broad St one, that is solid, breakfast is ok but gets boring quickly, but they do offer hot tomatoes (from tin) and some sort of pastry selection (even if not fresh, or comparable to German/Polish quality). I've recently found maintenance at this hotel getting worse.

The Birmingham City North one I avoid - tiny windows for a start, but breakfast with a very limited selection, canned fruits only, little in terms of bread/pastry variety, generally just very uninspiring in the morning.

Overall, there appears a strange divide between UK and continental Europe Hampton Inns. I assume that US ones would also be different again.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The toilet paper and toiletries are pretty bad, in fact I now just bring toiletries from other hotels for those couple of nights I stay at Hamptons each year. I actually have a small leftover roll of Charmin Aloe & E I keep in my luggage if the hotel I happen to be staying at has crappy toilet paper.

The Hampton coffee could use a lot to be desired and the breakfast is pretty marginal. The waffle ends up my goto at Hamptons.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:04 am

I visit about 25 Hamptons a year, 18 years or so now (many repeats). I'm too dumb to notice anything.

Really. I get what I pay for and book another room at another Hampton down the road. Somewhere on this forum, I've got a thread praising some "Humble" HHonors properties that stood out in my mind. But, otherwise, I don't go expecting anything other than a basic experience...which is about all I pay for.

I like Hamptons for the fact that they all have fitness facilities or access to someone else's. And the real disappointments are rare. Give me a piece of fruit for breakfast and I'm good.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
The Hamptons in Europe seem to be of a higher standard. The hotel in Berlin is very decent, don't recall it having disposable crockery at breakfast.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:15 am

Could just be my imagination, but I thought that Hamptons were much nicer places before Hilton Garden Inn arrived on the scene. Or at the least the breakfast was a lot nicer.

Now, I see Hamptons as a serious downgrade from a Hilton Garden Inn. If it weren't for the Hampton bed, I don't know if I could stay at one for much more than 1 night a year.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I just got back from the hampton Liverpool airport.......I quite liked it ( read my trip report)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ENG17
I stayed at about 50 different Hampton Inns last year, (no, my work travel is rarely to glamorous, exciting locales and fancy hotels) and I can say, some Hamptons are better than others. One thing I have noticed is it seems the selection at breakfast is getting a little repetitive. Can't remember the last time I saw Bagel Toppers, or Biscuits and Gravy, for example. more times than not it's the scrambles "eggs" and bacon or turkey sausage. Really like the maple cured sausage, but don't see that much either. Do like the fact they offer hard boiled eggs now. Still, in all, I can usually find something to get me going in the morning, and I don't have to dip into my per diem to do it. Haven't really thought much about the towels, but will say that the toilet paper is usually more like rice paper! (but I think that's true at most hotels) All in all though, Hamptons are still my first choice for the type of business travel I do...
You want biscuits and gravy? Go to Garden City Kansas, they served it about 4-5 times a week. Got real old. And only one of those days had sausage in the gravy.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Could just be my imagination, but I thought that Hamptons were much nicer places before Hilton Garden Inn arrived on the scene. Or at the least the breakfast was a lot nicer.

Now, I see Hamptons as a serious downgrade from a Hilton Garden Inn. If it weren't for the Hampton bed, I don't know if I could stay at one for much more than 1 night a year.
If it weren't for the HGI bed, I'd stay there all the time. Put the Hampton bed in HGI and abolish those torture racks PLEASE!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I find the rooms to be pretty much the same quality sans the occasional Hampton that was not built as a Hampton....bad water pressure, etc.

The biggest 2 things I see are:

1) Inconsistent gym equipment. If it is a franchise, they can put the cheapest crap in there such as the Hampton Miramar.

2) Inconsistent breakfast. Hampton Plantation always has the SAME cheapest stuff out (powdered eggs and 1 meat) whereas the Hampton Pembroke Pines has higher end items every day - rarely has powdered eggs and if they do, they add steak and cheese and then have tortillas out to make burritos. MUCH better options.

I think it all varies on the franchise places just being cheap with their mandatory free services.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dan72
The Hamptons in Europe seem to be of a higher standard. The hotel in Berlin is very decent, don't recall it having disposable crockery at breakfast.
They have real plates and cutlery. You would not be able to compete in most European countries without having real plates and cutlery and in the price bracket they charge. There are also some environmental guidelines in place, that penalise the use of throwaway stuff, for some countries.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by orr333
If it weren't for the HGI bed, I'd stay there all the time. Put the Hampton bed in HGI and abolish those torture racks PLEASE!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.