Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by happychic
​​​​​Off the top of my head:
None of the things you listed seems like nickel-and-diming to me. Some are errors (resort charge on a reward stay or valet parking when you did not park a car) that are easy to remove when pointed out. Some of the other charges are also errors. As to the lack of upgrades - what can you do if the hotel is sold out which it often is? The poor breakfast has been consistently discussed here. I, personally, never had any errors in my folio. Nor do I agree that their strategy is to provide the minimum benefits. Breakfast is the only weak point due to the high number of elite guests (I guess lack of upgrades can also be explained by that). They do upgrade when upgrades are available, including to suites. Just because it did not happen to one of us does not mean that it does not happen to anyone else.

Unless my English is that bad, I thought that nickel-and-diming meant that people are charged for something that is usually free and what they do not expect to be charged for. Having stayed at this hotel over 15 times in the past 10 years, I have not noticed that they charged for something that other hotels in Europe or North America do not charge for. OK, it is not possible to stay on points and check out with a zero folio here as there is no Executive lounge, but I am struggling to see how this hotel nickel and dimes its guests. Regarding food quality - to each their own I guess. I understand that none of the establishment is a high-end restaurant but food is decent and serves the purpose if one does not want to leave the resort.
Eujeanie likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree. I'm done with this place. I stay at Kahala now on FHR rate. It's $450+ per night, but the entire experience is just so much more pleasant.

It's not a matter of being surprised. It's a matter of not appreciating being nickel-and-dimed. HHV would charge for hot water in the showers if they thought they could get away with it.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
None of the things you listed seems like nickel-and-diming to me. Some are errors (resort charge on a reward stay or valet parking when you did not park a car) that are easy to remove when pointed out. Some of the other charges are also errors. As to the lack of upgrades - what can you do if the hotel is sold out which it often is? The poor breakfast has been consistently discussed here. I, personally, never had any errors in my folio. Nor do I agree that their strategy is to provide the minimum benefits. Breakfast is the only weak point due to the high number of elite guests (I guess lack of upgrades can also be explained by that). They do upgrade when upgrades are available, including to suites. Just because it did not happen to one of us does not mean that it does not happen to anyone else.

Unless my English is that bad, I thought that nickel-and-diming meant that people are charged for something that is usually free and what they do not expect to be charged for. Having stayed at this hotel over 15 times in the past 10 years, I have not noticed that they charged for something that other hotels in Europe or North America do not charge for. OK, it is not possible to stay on points and check out with a zero folio here as there is no Executive lounge, but I am struggling to see how this hotel nickel and dimes its guests. Regarding food quality - to each their own I guess. I understand that none of the establishment is a high-end restaurant but food is decent and serves the purpose if one does not want to leave the resort.
It's an expression we Americans use when we know we are being ripped off and in the case of the HHV it truly is an American rip off. There are many things that use to be included in a normal nightly rate, somethings were of no costs. For us loyal FF many of things that we were promised as part of our loyalty are gone or minimized. The breakfast is a disaster sadly the "coffee shop" across closed which the HHV took advantage of, the "resort fees" are a prime example, I mean how many people really use the room phone to call other than within the hotel ?

Anyway I agree for me it's "elsewhere"
happychic likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
It's an expression we Americans use when we know we are being ripped off and in the case of the HHV it truly is an American rip off. There are many things that use to be included in a normal nightly rate, somethings were of no costs. For us loyal FF many of things that we were promised as part of our loyalty are gone or minimized. The breakfast is a disaster sadly the "coffee shop" across closed which the HHV took advantage of, the "resort fees" are a prime example, I mean how many people really use the room phone to call other than within the hotel ?

Anyway I agree for me it's "elsewhere"
I am not sure which benefits that we don't get you're referring to. The thing is people are not being specific, and vague references to not feeling special puzzle me. If everyone else is a Diamond or a Gold (I hear that a lot near the pool or on the beach), then how can any one of us be special if it's one of the most popular hotels for elite members, especially when it comes to redeeming points? At least, they're not restricting award rooms and have now added Partial Ocean View rooms to standard awards to accommodate more requests for standard awards from members. I got pretty amazing upgrades here when they could give me one. I did not get any during last few stays as the resort was packed but how can I complain if other people paid for better rooms and I did not? Even when no upgrades could be offered I was always given the best room they could find in the category that I booked - high floor in the Kalia tower with amazing views, for example. Early check-in/late checkout was never a problem if they could accommodate my request. I get my free water. I get the breakfast benefit (I agree that it's very poor but better than the 'lounge' that they used to have). None of the listed benefits was ever denied to me. I've never had a bad time here. I understand my expectations may be different but I am genuinely interested to learn what other people's expectations are because I can't find a single thing that I am not getting from what I am promised (that is not subject to availability).
If the complaint is that it's expensive then everything in Hawaii is. The resort charge is a separate issue, and I agree that everything that's included in it we either do not need/use or already get through Hilton Honors, but I thought that resort charges are the thing of the moment in the USA and every resort charges them, so it's not unique to HHV? At least Hilton hotels do not add the resort charge on award stays as airlines do. We should appreciate that at least. As far as cash rates are concerned, I simply consider them as part of the rate and decide whether I like the overall price or not. It would not make a difference if the rate itself was higher already including the resort charge.
As to 'being ripped off.' I can't relate to that. If you think staying here is not worth the price then I completely understand that you'd be reluctant to stay here. I, personally, think it's worth it. I don't feel being ripped off, especially when I am staying here using points during the busiest season.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure which benefits that we don't get you're referring to. The thing is people are not being specific, and vague references to not feeling special puzzle me. If everyone else is a Diamond or a Gold (I hear that a lot near the pool or on the beach), then how can any one of us be special if it's one of the most popular hotels for elite members, especially when it comes to redeeming points? At least, they're not restricting award rooms and have now added Partial Ocean View rooms to standard awards to accommodate more requests for standard awards from members. I got pretty amazing upgrades here when they could give me one. I did not get any during last few stays as the resort was packed but how can I complain if other people paid for better rooms and I did not? Even when no upgrades could be offered I was always given the best room they could find in the category that I booked - high floor in the Kalia tower with amazing views, for example. Early check-in/late checkout was never a problem if they could accommodate my request. I get my free water. I get the breakfast benefit (I agree that it's very poor but better than the 'lounge' that they used to have). None of the listed benefits was ever denied to me. I've never had a bad time here. I understand my expectations may be different but I am genuinely interested to learn what other people's expectations are because I can't find a single thing that I am not getting from what I am promised (that is not subject to availability).
If the complaint is that it's expensive then everything in Hawaii is. The resort charge is a separate issue, and I agree that everything that's included in it we either do not need/use or already get through Hilton Honors, but I thought that resort charges are the thing of the moment in the USA and every resort charges them, so it's not unique to HHV? At least Hilton hotels do not add the resort charge on award stays as airlines do. We should appreciate that at least. As far as cash rates are concerned, I simply consider them as part of the rate and decide whether I like the overall price or not. It would not make a difference if the rate itself was higher already including the resort charge.
As to 'being ripped off.' I can't relate to that. If you think staying here is not worth the price then I completely understand that you'd be reluctant to stay here. I, personally, think it's worth it. I don't feel being ripped off, especially when I am staying here using points during the busiest season.
There are many things when your on the "outside looking in" the issue we Americans have and by the way I am not disagreeing with you is that we are spoiled by these various CC/Hotel? Airline programs to the point of "entitlement". I have stood in line in Europe checking in hearing a few American explain to the desk clerk that they had "status" and why weren't they given a suite and not just one occasion! When traveling abroad we strive to keep a low profile and dress as little as possible like an American, don't get me wrong I love my country and a combat vet. It's the "incidentals" charges that we see as ripping us.

Look at BA they just raised the pricing on business class seat selection, so you pay for the ticket, pay the fuel charges then have to pay for a decent seat, see my point ?

Travel Safe
Old May 31, 2019, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's an expression we Americans use when we know we are being ripped off and in the case of the HHV it truly is an American rip off.
Exactly.

The breakfast is the best example. They used to have a nice lounge. They took that away, and replaced it with a $10 per person credit. They used to give out the credits based on number of guests booked, so if you booked for two, you would automatically get $20. My last stay, they insisted on seeing a driver's license for each guest in order to give the $10 credit.

More generally, note that the billing errors are always in the hotel's favor. Personally, I've had consistent problems being overcharged for parking (charged more days than I had a car). This included back-billing my card post-departure after the charges were removed from my bill at check-out.
happychic likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:17 am

Exactly.

The breakfast is the best example. They used to have a nice lounge. They took that away, and replaced it with a $10 per person credit. They used to give out the credits based on number of guests booked, so if you booked for two, you would automatically get $20. My last stay, they insisted on seeing a driver's license for each guest in order to give the $10 credit.

More generally, note that the billing errors are always in the hotel's favor. Personally, I've had consistent problems being overcharged for parking (charged more days than I had a car). This included back-billing my card post-departure after the charges were removed from my bill at check-out.
And their answer to that is " the auditor" made the reversal ! I'm afraid Hawaii is becoming "paradise lost" at least to us that have been visiting there for a long long time.
happychic likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic
​​​​​
* Got charged for valet parking for all days stayed when I didn't use their valet
This statement is a little unclear. Did you have a car the entire time that was parked and there were just days you did not take it out? You still have to pay for parking and not sure they would keep track of if you took the car out or not. Or did you self park and got charged for valet? Or did you not have a car and got charged?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:11 am

Upgrade request?

I will check in tomorrow at HHV and I do see that this hotel is sold out for tomorrow but able to find rooms after tomorrow.

As a Diamond member, I hope to get an upgrade but it seems to me not easy for tomorrow because the hotel is fully booked. However, can I as for an upgrade after the first night when there is any available rooms for an upgrade?

Ia it ok or common to ask for an upgrade when the room is available after one or two nights later? I will stay at HHV for a week so I hope to get a nice view if possible
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by hw807
I will check in tomorrow at HHV and I do see that this hotel is sold out for tomorrow but able to find rooms after tomorrow.

As a Diamond member, I hope to get an upgrade but it seems to me not easy for tomorrow because the hotel is fully booked. However, can I as for an upgrade after the first night when there is any available rooms for an upgrade?

Ia it ok or common to ask for an upgrade when the room is available after one or two nights later? I will stay at HHV for a week so I hope to get a nice view if possible
They are "suppose" to review all status travelers a day or two ahead of arrival and assign a room I repeat "suppose to" Experience tells me it depends first and foremost on your desk agent, second what time of the day you initially check in, and thirdly just plain dumb luck!! I have in the past offered to pay an upgrade fee and have gotten my room. IF I were to go back to HHV I would do as I have done in the past ten years simply book the Ali'i Towers and be done with it
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist

I've been lucky and had the same lady at checkin the past two times and has given me rainbow tower room and 9am checkin (one was diamond head view the other was overlooking the marina). The time before I was upgraded to a nicer room a day in advance and into a diamond head rainbow tower room the morning before I arrived. I've been very lucky, but I've also only had 1-2 night stays not during particularly busy times. I wish I got the ladys name so I can look for her whenever I go back.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:04 am

Probably will not visit HHV again

[QUOTE=sfgiants13;31202508]I've been lucky and had the same lady at checkin the past two imes...

I think you were very lucky to get an upgrade...

[QUOTE=edgewood49;31202151]They are "suppose" to review all status travelers a day or two ahead of arrival and assign a room I.....

I think you are right...I booked the HHV because my conference will be held in this hotel...and i made my reservation about 2 months before I arrive in Hawaii..I also send an email about a month ago to try their best to offer me a nice upgrade and their reply was just formal..such as "we will do our best when you check in"..so i expected that at least i would can ask for a partial ocean view.

Today I checked in around 10:30am because I stayed at ES near to this HHV...to avoid a long check in line up. I already knew that this hotel does not offer a complimentary breakfast but some post mentioned that HH Diamond member sometimes received a free continental breakfast...so I asked to an agent if thet can offer me a breakfast instead of $10 credit...however, she told me that just "No" and surprisingly asked me thah any hotel will offer you a free breakfast even though I'm a HH Diamond member....what a surprise question....so I just told that I will take the credit....

After that i asked the agent if I can expect any upgrade at least a partial ocean view and.....her reply was the same....just "No"...because I booked the room using the conference rate code and if someone using the specific discounted code...then they cannot offer any HH Diamond benefit such as upgrade....

I never had an experience where any loyalty program does not apply if someone book the room using the code...the conference will be held at HHV and that's why they are offering a special discount for the attendance...but why HHV ignore my HH Diamond membership?

The agent keep telling me that there is a special T&C somewhere in the Hilton's website...which I couldn't find until now....Can anyone help to find the T&C regarding the upgrade using a specific discount code offered by cooperate or conference..

Eventually I didn't force them too much becauae it seesm to me that nothing will not be change even I keep talkjng with them...so I just gave up and finished the check in..and the agent said "Thanks to being a HH Diamond member" with the laugh....what the he.......HHV didn't offer me any benefits as a HH Diamond member..but just laughing behind me while I was leaving....definitely I will report to the manager in duty as well as report to the HH represantative after I going back to home..

Eventually thet assigned me to Kalia Tower with a nice resort view.... i never ask them to give an upgrade to a luxury suite...i only expected to get an ocean view or partial ocean view at least...but I just realized that my dream was too big for them

Everytime I was staying at Hyatt Regency Waikiki..and as a Diamond member since 2009 (now it is called Globalist) eveytimr I get an upgrade to their suite and one time I got an upgrade to the Presidential Suites when I visted there about 10th times....which was fantastic...and always they prepare a welcome amenity such as drinks, cake, fruits....at least to serve an Elite membet..

However, HHV don't have any respect to the loyalty member because their business is going well even some Elite member get a disappointment...and they will not come back again..haha...

Now I can realize ther why people in this thread mention that they will not visit HHV again....I also will not come back here again....
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Today I checked in around 10:30am
That's not a great idea if you're hoping for an upgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:15 am

[QUOTE=hw807;31204807][QUOTE=sfgiants13;31202508]I've been lucky and had the same lady at checkin the past two imes...

They are "suppose" to review all status travelers a day or two ahead of arrival and assign a room I.....

I think you are right...I booked the HHV because my conference will be held in this hotel...and i made my reservation about 2 months before I arrive in Hawaii..I also send an email about a month ago to try their best to offer me a nice upgrade and their reply was just formal..such as "we will do our best when you check in"..so i expected that at least i would can ask for a partial ocean view.

Today I checked in around 10:30am because I stayed at ES near to this HHV...to avoid a long check in line up. I already knew that this hotel does not offer a complimentary breakfast but some post mentioned that HH Diamond member sometimes received a free continental breakfast...so I asked to an agent if thet can offer me a breakfast instead of $10 credit...however, she told me that just "No" and surprisingly asked me thah any hotel will offer you a free breakfast even though I'm a HH Diamond member....what a surprise question....so I just told that I will take the credit....

After that i asked the agent if I can expect any upgrade at least a partial ocean view and.....her reply was the same....just "No"...because I booked the room using the conference rate code and if someone using the specific discounted code...then they cannot offer any HH Diamond benefit such as upgrade....

I never had an experience where any loyalty program does not apply if someone book the room using the code...the conference will be held at HHV and that's why they are offering a special discount for the attendance...but why HHV ignore my HH Diamond membership?

The agent keep telling me that there is a special T&C somewhere in the Hilton's website...which I couldn't find until now....Can anyone help to find the T&C regarding the upgrade using a specific discount code offered by cooperate or conference..

Eventually I didn't force them too much becauae it seesm to me that nothing will not be change even I keep talkjng with them...so I just gave up and finished the check in..and the agent said "Thanks to being a HH Diamond member" with the laugh....what the he.......HHV didn't offer me any benefits as a HH Diamond member..but just laughing behind me while I was leaving....definitely I will report to the manager in duty as well as report to the HH represantative after I going back to home..

Eventually thet assigned me to Kalia Tower with a nice resort view.... i never ask them to give an upgrade to a luxury suite...i only expected to get an ocean view or partial ocean view at least...but I just realized that my dream was too big for them

Everytime I was staying at Hyatt Regency Waikiki..and as a Diamond member since 2009 (now it is called Globalist) eveytimr I get an upgrade to their suite and one time I got an upgrade to the Presidential Suites when I visted there about 10th times....which was fantastic...and always they prepare a welcome amenity such as drinks, cake, fruits....at least to serve an Elite membet..

However, HHV don't have any respect to the loyalty member because their business is going well even some Elite member get a disappointment...and they will not come back again..haha...

Now I can realize ther why people in this thread mention that they will not visit HHV again....I also will not come back here again....
Ah the "aloha spirit" is live and well at the HHV.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:23 am

That's not a great idea if you're hoping for an upgrade.
yep, now I can realize that it is impossible to hoping an upgrade at HHV..and that's fine because I will not visit this place again during my life

[QUOTE=edgewood49;31205540][QUOTE=hw807;31204807]
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I've been lucky and had the same lady at checkin the past two imes...

Ah the "aloha spirit" is live and well at the HHV.
Aloha spirit with a fantastic resort view! From my HHB experience, I decide not to keep my Hilton elite status...I rather keep following my Hyatt ot Bonvoy status for my future travel^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.