Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Given your username, please know how much I enjoyed the idea of a member of the death-merchant profession describing a limited-service property in Waikiki as a happy place. Please do not attempt to apply logic to this.
I am amazed that HH elites* return to this property as both a former guest and former resident of HNL. The breakfast arrangement becomes an ever harder kick to the gonads. Seeing the 2019 price versus my 2017 experience...egads. I found the grounds about as relaxing as a visit to the Magic Kingdom due to the volume of people.

***Like I said, I will NOT be returning to HHV. It's a zoo, straight up. And when I was there, I'd say it was a "low" occupancy time of year.

The prices are silly, even for Waikiki - from parking, breakfast, any extra service... all much higher than expected or needed for the area. I felt like this place was for suckers and foreign tourists. You nailed it with the Magic Kingdom analog. Why cross the street and get a $1 Dasani water bottle when you can have Mickey sell you one for $5? YOU'RE ON VACATION, AFTER ALL! HHV is like that. "We're here with the kids, they want breakfast... oh, it's $150 for us to eat a few pancakes in an overcrowded tourist-mill? Whatever, we're ON VACATION!"

Which lets me address that at least the Embassy has a less crowded, mellower pool and nice hot tub, free drinks and snacks flowing happily every night from cheery barkeeps... sure, it's an ES buffet breakfast, but it's good - a little different than mainland ones with the addition of local flavors - and it's included free, which is far better than the HHV can say. Of the last half-dozen times I've stayed at the ES Beachwalk, they've upgraded me to a nice view in the front tower, certainly without trying to upcharge or poormouth grovel like at the HHV. Bob the manager retired recently and I've noticed a few changes, but it's still squared away at the ES.

Did I mention I like the ES better than the HHV?

TDM

PS: Deathmerchants can appreciate mid-tier properties too, ya know. I've been to the Cavalieri, Conrad HK, and the Grand Wailea recently, and I lean towards the less snooty, comfortable places! (Conrad HK exec lounge was pretty dope though.)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Of the last half-dozen times I've stayed at the ES Beachwalk, they've upgraded me to a nice view in the front tower, certainly without trying to upcharge or poormouth grovel like at the HHV.
This is fairly new at HHV. The place has definitely gone way downhill the last few years from the elite perspective. Closure of the lounge was a warning sign. Management just trying to squeeze out every nickel.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is fairly new at HHV. The place has definitely gone way downhill the last few years from the elite perspective. Closure of the lounge was a warning sign. Management just trying to squeeze out every nickel.

Gone forever are the days of the "girls" serving breakfast pool deck Ali'i Towers. And gone are the days to stay at HHV, frankly Oahu in general unless for business and even then I always stayed "off beach"

What will be interesting the Southwest effect on occupancy?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Beware of Resort Fee on Award Stays at Hawaiian Village

I’m not sure if this is a preview of an upcoming policy change when it comes to resorts fees on award stays or just a back office mistake.

I recently completed a 4 night award stay at the Hawaiian Village on Waikiki and resort fees ($45 + tax/night) were added to my folio. Since traditionally award stays were exempt from the scourge that is the resort fee I went to the front desk who agreed to remove the charges.

What troubles me though is unsuspecting people who don’t know the policy and just walk away with these charges on their folio. This was almost my sister, who also on an award stay assumed that it was part of the cost of staying at the property.

Hopefully like I said this was just a back office mistake when preparing the folio, but if it wasn’t and Hilton is going to start charging resort fees on award stays that will be very disheartening. The resort fee is already a scam ($45 for DVD rental and discounts on superfluous items at this resort) and to add that fee to “free stays” is even more of a blatant money grab than they already are.

Anyone else see this happening on recent resort stays throughout the Hilton network?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Nope. Had two award stays (both 5th Night Free) in Feb/March and neither stay had any resort fees tied to it. One of the award stays has a cash night tacked on as an extra night and that did get billed the resort fee. One was an HGI in FL and the other was at an ES in AZ.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:46 pm
cjd

Had 2 Award stays in February at Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton, Florida and correctly as per T & Cs, no resort fees were charged. Didn't have to ask as they didn't appear on final invoice.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Used a free weekend night certificate at the Arizona Biltmore a week and a half ago and the resort fee was not on my bill.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I made a reward reservation at the HHV for Chritsmas and the confirmation e-mail did arrived with resort fees/taxes listed in the total. I called the hotel and the Diamond Desk and both confirmed that there were no changes in the policy. My reward reservation at the WA Las Vegas also lists the resort fee in the total.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sounds like HHV billing error. Not surprising, this property continues to go downhill from the program member's perspective.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Used a free weekend night certificate at the Arizona Biltmore a week and a half ago and the resort fee was not on my bill.
One of my favorite US hotels
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I'm keeping an eye on this as I am heading to HHV next week.

From https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...horize-strike/

Hilton union workers authorize strike

• CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL / APRIL 3

Hilton Hawaiian Village’s Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon is seen in Waikiki.

Unite Here Local 5 members at Hilton Hawaiian Village voted today to authorize a strike with 91% in favor of it.

The strike authorization comes after weeks of negotiations with Hilton for a contract covering 1,700 Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel workers. Workers complained that the company is not yet addressing key issues specific to the hotel.

Some of the key issues in contract negotiations are the excessive workload and poverty wages that specifically impact the workers at the timeshare towers, according to Local 5.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by happychic
I'm keeping an eye on this as I am heading to HHV next week.

From https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...horize-strike/

Hilton union workers authorize strike

• CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL / APRIL 3

Hilton Hawaiian Village’s Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon is seen in Waikiki.

Unite Here Local 5 members at Hilton Hawaiian Village voted today to authorize a strike with 91% in favor of it.

The strike authorization comes after weeks of negotiations with Hilton for a contract covering 1,700 Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel workers. Workers complained that the company is not yet addressing key issues specific to the hotel.

Some of the key issues in contract negotiations are the excessive workload and poverty wages that specifically impact the workers at the timeshare towers, according to Local 5.

You have to be kidding me this is getting beyond belief. First their description of "poverty level wages" is completely distorted it's being taken out of context with a HUD paper on cost of living/housing in the Hawaii. Granted it is expensive to live in Hawaii but not that expensive. Disclaimer my wife is 50% Hawaiian and we visit there a lot as well as my company works in the islands as well.

These actions along with properties mostly controlled by one form or another of "equity capital" is driving the cost for vacationers out of reach
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:41 pm

When booking here - are there two towers? The standard 60k rate resort view - that does not book into Rainbow tower no?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
When booking here - are there two towers? The standard 60k rate resort view - that does not book into Rainbow tower no?
There are 4 or 5 towers.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Would appreciate advice:

Have 2 Be My Guest Certificates with exp at the end of May 2019. 4 properties are available using these certificates on the dates I need - HHV, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn.
Is it a good idea to use them at this property while the revenue rate is $157 at HHV vs Embassy Suites that isn't on the beach is $384?! The rest of the stay will be at Hyatt Place.

PS Perhaps it would be better value to use them in Southern California (San Diego for instance).
Also, guests just have Silver status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.