Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Well, I’m goin’ in Leroyyy Jenkins style.

I’m currently on a flight to HNL as I write this and the only two properties in the “reasonable” points class that aren’t sold out tonight are the new Hampton on the west side and HHV.

Its a one-nighter, Diamond, app booked five hours before check in. Curious how breakfast will be handled. Haven’t been at this property for maybe 4 years. (ES Beachwalk is my usual place.) Let’s see how this goes.

if anyone one has any questions of current conditions/policies, I’ll be boots-on-the-ground in a few hours.

🌴🌈🐳🌺

TDM

Live Update: already frustrated with this place. Should have opted Hampton.
super slow checkin with upsells (“normally a good Ali’i Room sells for $600... how about $65 in addition to your 60k points?” - like it’s a secret favor.) I asked what the current breakfast arrangement was and she I think mistook me for asking if I get Continental. Apparently you get $10pp credit at a bunch of places, but not a flat-out “free” continental.. But... “we’ll make this ONE exception to give you a $10 muffin and juice continental breakfast however there’s a hot option to add for twice the price...”

There’s scuffs and chipped paint everywhere (Diamond Head Tower) elevator, rooms, bathroom.

Self Parking is like $45 bucks, which annoys me more than it usually does because it’s not easily accessible from the sprawl of towers. I’m wandering around the garage with my backpack, trying to find the stairs or exit. Not clearly marked.

Oh well. Nice Parking guy and a super gent named Daniel that helped me find the right line to stand in for Diamond Check in (which was molasses slow, as the girl took almost 15 minutes checking me in, having to run to a supervisor for the breakfast coupon, explain ever towel card and dvd borrowing card, look at availability for a room all over the sprawl, etc.

I’m gonna now go and try to not be cranky, but this has solidified my opinion that unless you’re a sucker with kids that need the pools here, and aren’t looking for a mellow/restful vacay, you’d do better at almost any other HH property on Waikiki.
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Feb 6, 2019 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I’m gonna now go and try to not be cranky, but this has solidified my opinion that unless you’re a sucker with kids that need the pools here, and aren’t looking for a mellow/restful vacay, you’d do better at almost any other HH property on Waikiki.
It can be a zoo. Ali'i with private check-in makes it more tolerable.

Trying to upsell you to Ali'i was just wrong. If they had a room there, they should have upgraded you. I would complain to corporate about that. (And $600 for a room in Ali'i is complete nonsense. More like $250-350 most of the time.)

The $10 coupon for breakfast is pathetic. Well publicized in this thread but pathetic. In the past they would give you two per room, last time I was here the FDA wanted to see two IDs to give two coupons.

Hope you're able to enjoy Hawaii regardless. There's some great food in Waikiki.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee

The $10 coupon for breakfast is pathetic. Well publicized in this thread but pathetic. In the past they would give you two per room, last time I was here the FDA wanted to see two IDs to give two coupons.
Esp. since the “continental breakfast” is $29.95 pp. (But for only an upcharge to $40 I can have meat and eggs!) the $10pp wouldn’t get you far, no. They DO “honor you as a Diamond guest” by putting a hula girl bobblehead on your table tho. #SoTheresThat

I see on my check out receipt they wrongly billed me $45 resort fee on an all-points stay... so I guess I’ll be making the trek to the front desk again this morning.

Sigh.

Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I see on my check out receipt they wrongly billed me $45 resort fee on an all-points stay... so I guess I’ll be making the trek to the front desk again this morning.
And watch for the backcharge post-departure even if they claim it's removed. They did this to me with a parking charge last year.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And watch for the backcharge post-departure even if they claim it's removed. They did this to me with a parking charge last year.
Did you have a car? If not that's so pathetic since so many arrive by taxi, why would they even think that?

No RF on an award stay should be automatic.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

No RF on an award stay should be automatic.
I believe all resort properties have issues with resort charges on award stays now. They show up in confirmation e-mails and online. The hotels know that they should be waived but they require taking off manually.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Did you have a car? If not that's so pathetic since so many arrive by taxi, why would they even think that?
I had a car but they (supposedly) removed the parking charge because they couldn't get my room key to code (despite multiple trips to front desk), so I couldn't get in and out of the garage without the help of an attendant. Then they backcharged me after I checked out.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
We arrived home yesterday after 6 nights in Rainbow Tower. Odd #s will get you ocean views. Even #s have lagoon, marina, island views.

The Breakfast facilities are stunningly inadequate for a 3000 room hotel. The buffet opens at 5:30am because everyone going on a tour has to be at the bus pick up area at 5:50 and it’s a 10 minute walk across the property. For $29 you get pastries, fruit, cheese, breads, juices, pancakes, waffle maker, and Asian item area. For 10 more, you can have scrambled eggs, local fried rice, roasted potatoes, bacon, sausage, and sausage stuffed biscuits. SAME items every day.

The other sit down breakfast restaurant opens at 7 and has few than 50 tables. Bacon/eggs is $24.

Every concereige question becomes a pitch for 90 minute timeshare appointment. You can save $150 on a Tour or the luau if you want to go through that.

I’d be happy to answer any questions.
Finally, I can’t believe I’m mentioning this... their toilet paper is extremely low quality. Chafing will occur.

Despite the dire warnings on Trip Advisor, I thought my online check in as an Hilton Honors members would help...nope. Apparently no one can use the counter marked Digital Check In!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
What time was this taken? In thirty years other than 4am have I ever seen the lines this short. As for food this place has been in decline for the past 20 years or so, now that the restaurant closed across the street your screwed here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarTN
Finally, I can’t believe I’m mentioning this... their toilet paper is extremely low quality. Chafing will occur

Our room this week had the TP just laying loose on the bathroom counter. You could see the paint scars where the holder had once been ripped from the wall. I guess just leaving a roll out on the shelf passes for “maintenance” here. I was told it was an upgraded room, but they plan on remodel next year or somesuch.

10/10 will not come back to HHV.

Embassy Suites next door is still my happy place. I just needed a quick stay on my first night in town. Sooo wish I’d have opted for the brand new Hampton with free breakfast, free parking and shiny clean rooms at 10k points less.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by edgewood49
What time was this taken? In thirty years other than 4am have I ever seen the lines this short. As for food this place has been in decline for the past 20 years or so, now that the restaurant closed across the street your screwed here.
i checked the time on the photo. 2:45pm on Feb 4. It will get worse over the next few hours.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:57 pm

I am about to book a 4 day stay here with points but I do not have enough for all 4 nights. My plan was to book 3 nights with points to avoid the resort fee and then book the last night with $ and just pay the resort fee for this day. Is this what you all would recommend?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikef07
I am about to book a 4 day stay here with points but I do not have enough for all 4 nights. My plan was to book 3 nights with points to avoid the resort fee and then book the last night with $ and just pay the resort fee for this day. Is this what you all would recommend?
Hi,

If you are Silver or above could you buy the points needed then take advantage of the 5th night free ( use points for 4 nights and get the 5th night free)?

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
We've reserved the very cheapest "resort view" one king bed. Is it possible for me to request a certain tower and, if so, what would you recommend? #1 priority is for the most recently refurbished room; I've seen some photos of the rooms at this property and they look ancient. Also, I'd be really keen to try for an Al'li upgrade at check-in: anyone every had any luck with securing this? We are only Silver HHonors status.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors

Our room this week had the TP just laying loose on the bathroom counter. You could see the paint scars where the holder had once been ripped from the wall. I guess just leaving a roll out on the shelf passes for “maintenance” here. I was told it was an upgraded room, but they plan on remodel next year or somesuch.

10/10 will not come back to HHV.

Embassy Suites next door is still my happy place. I just needed a quick stay on my first night in town. Sooo wish I’d have opted for the brand new Hampton with free breakfast, free parking and shiny clean rooms at 10k points less.
Given your username, please know how much I enjoyed the idea of a member of the death-merchant profession describing a limited-service property in Waikiki as a happy place. Please do not attempt to apply logic to this.

I am amazed that HH elites* return to this property as both a former guest and former resident of HNL. The breakfast arrangement becomes an ever harder kick to the gonads. Seeing the 2019 price versus my 2017 experience...egads. I found the grounds about as relaxing as a visit to the Magic Kingdom due to the volume of people.

*Particularly guests travelling w/o kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.