Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
[QUOTE=hw807;31213794]yep, now I can realize that it is impossible to hoping an upgrade at HHV..and that's fine because I will not visit this place again during my life

[QUOTE=edgewood49;31205540]
Originally Posted by hw807

Aloha spirit with a fantastic resort view! From my HHB experience, I decide not to keep my Hilton elite status...I rather keep following my Hyatt ot Bonvoy status for my future travel^
It's a shame what is happening across the board in the islands there have been so many leveraged buyouts , minimal upgrades to the properties and extracting every last penny out on the other end. I have seen it first hand in my work and it continues. Gone are the days of the great vacation to Hawaii and yes even the "Aloha Spirit" not dead but ______. The price of dining has reached epic portions no wonder CheeseCake Factory is packed. The HHV once was a great place to stay I am going back to when Don Ho was the daily show and the Kobe Steak House was actually clean !!!!

The Hyatt has changed so much that I now look to the Marriott while it's not the end all it's stable plus I think their refresh is nearing completion ?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hi;

Could use some advice - will be staying at a convention at the hotel. Convention rates are cheaper, so likely will be on those and from what I've read upthread, no upgrades for Diamonds on convention rates. The options are

Resort View $235 - Tapa, Kalia or Diamondhead tower
Partial Ocean View $265 - Tapa, Kalia or Diamondhead
Ocean View $295 - Tapa, Kalia or Diamondhead
Ocean Front $325 - Rainbow Tower

A couple of questions - It says Oceanfront at the convention website, but when I click through, it says Ocean/Marina view. How can it be Oceanfront with a Marina view? I think it's really not an Oceanfront room, which in the Rainbow tower is 370 square feet. on the HHonors site.
Any experience with that room? The others in other towers are listed as 350 square feet, not sure giving up than much space is worth a view that is Marina/Ocean.

Has anyone gotten upgrades on convention rates? If so, maybe it's worth the Rainbow 307 square foot room as it's an easier upgrade to the full 370 square foot room in the same tower.

Which towers are far from the convention area?

It seems like the sweet spot might be ocean view (and wait until they release these rooms on the hhonors site, right now the only rooms on the site are Alii and the bigger Rainbow tower rooms).

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

Last edited by beachfan; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:25 pm Reason: corrected spelling of Tapa
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I know nothing of convention rates or area. I once received an oceanfront room as an upgrade in the Rainbow Tower. The website showed a room with one balcony directly over the beach. We actually received a corner room with two balconies, one directly facing the beach and ocean, and one facing the marina. The views and balcony were fantastic, among the best I’ve ever had in a hotel room, though the furniture was worn.
Rooms on one side of our corner room had the ocean front balcony as described above. Rooms on the other side had balconies overlooking the marina. I suspect the room category you mention will give either an oceanfront room or a marina room depending on what is available when you check in. The marina was a nice view with a great view of the sunset. So it wouldn’t be a terrible view to have.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Ocean view in Rainbow Tower faces east. Marina faces west.

The check in desk is TERRIBLE but you can ask nicely. We got an ocean view in Rainbow for $35/day more than the conference rate.

The convention center is 20-25 minutes brisk walk, unless there is a shuttle running. FYI there is a HUGE mall 10 minutes from the conv center that has large food court. Moa?? Name
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken

Marina view from HHV Rainbow Tower.
Originally Posted by MarTN
Ocean view in Rainbow Tower faces east. Marina faces west.

I didn’t check with a compass, but I would have described it as Ocean Front faces roughly south, and Marina view faces roughly west. We couldn't see Diamond Head from our balcony, and I don’t think anybody on that side could. If I am holding my mouth right, you should see a view of sunset from Rainbow Tower Marina View above. The water at the bottom of the picture is the HHV lagoon.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Resort View $235 - Kapa, Kalia or Diamondhead tower
Partial Ocean View $265 - Kapa, Kalia or Diamondhead
Ocean View $295 - Kapa, Kalia or Diamondhead
Ocean Front $325 - Rainbow Tower
I think you mean "Tapa"

Whether you get an upgrade depends very much on the agent who checks you in.

I'm pretty down on this property and might just book the cheapest room to minimize the amount of money they take from me. That said, the true Oceanfront view from Rainbow Tower (towards Diamondhead) is really nice.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you mean "Tapa"

Whether you get an upgrade depends very much on the agent who checks you in.

I'm pretty down on this property and might just book the cheapest room to minimize the amount of money they take from me. That said, the true Oceanfront view from Rainbow Tower (towards Diamondhead) is really nice.
Thanks, corrected my post.

Your thought on minimizing the cash may have something to it, will be dropping plenty of hotel dollars as vacationing a week on Maui first, and I anything above the base room is out of pocket.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Sunrise from Rainbow Ocean View

Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MarTN
Sunrise from Rainbow Ocean View
That's ocean front, not ocean view.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's ocean front, not ocean view.
Yep. Ocean Front faces Diamondhead. Ocean View faces the lagoon and the marina.

Love the Ocean Front view from Diamondhead, but make sure your room is high enough to be above the trees...
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:39 pm

I'm not being offered Ocean Front in Rainbow tower in the convention rate, only Ocean View which is listed at 307 sq feet vs 350 for one of the other towers (and 370 for Ocean Front Rainbow tower room).

It's all coming back to me, I stayed in the Rainbow tower several times 20 years ago when work took me to Honolulu and they were nice to Diamonds. But didn't remember such a big size difference between the Ocean View @ 307 and the others.

Is the view worth the smaller room compared to the other towers? It doesn't seem like I'll likely get a further upgrade.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Current restaurants where you can use the elite food credit when you charge the bill to your room:
Bali Steak & Seafood
Tropics
Rainbow Lanai
Luau
Wiki Wiki Market
Lagoon Grill
Starbucks
Tapa Bar
Hau Tree Bar
Paradise Lounge

When I checked out today, my bill for the $30 credit was $30.89. Wasn't charged 89 cents although I expected I would be.

Last edited by linsj; Jul 2, 2019 at 3:17 pm Reason: More info
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:59 pm

Any recent reports on how late checkout is for diamond here?

Have a business meeting and could take a red-eye home for an afternoon on the beach, but not sure it's worth it without a 2pm or later checkout. Seems like reports are mixed, and to be honest, I'm used to 4pm checkouts at the other chains I have status on.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any recent reports on how late checkout is for diamond here?

Have a business meeting and could take a red-eye home for an afternoon on the beach, but not sure it's worth it without a 2pm or later checkout. Seems like reports are mixed, and to be honest, I'm used to 4pm checkouts at the other chains I have status on.
Hi,

I would think a 2pm might be the limit ( doubtful for 4pm) but they will probably offer a hospitality room during the afternoon to shower and freshen up before going to the airport ( this is one disadvantage to HH compared to other loyalty programs) . A couple of times whemn I was in Hawaii with a 9pm flight back to the mainland I just paid for the extra night so I could relax in the afternoon and leave at 7pm.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:44 pm

Yes, they will offer shower in a hospitality suite.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
this is one disadvantage to HH compared to other loyalty programs
None of the programs guaranty late checkout at resorts.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.