Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Wiki Link
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2014 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

Links to moved posts should still work.
Print Wikipost

Old May 27, 19, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LB002 View Post
Thanks! Not sure we're even interested in the options offered, but good to know before I even consider. We are Diamond level (I know, how unique!), but it seems like a very busy resort so I'm not expecting any significant upgrades.
I would double check on the resort fee. I have paid for an upgrade and it became a points and money stay in which you do have to pay the resort fee. If even 1 dollar of the rate is cash the resort fee kicks in. Has to be a 100% points stay for the fee to be waived.

On another note, is there a free airport shuttle? I have stayed here before but always had a rental car. This time no car.
Old May 27, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I would double check on the resort fee. I have paid for an upgrade and it became a points and money stay in which you do have to pay the resort fee. If even 1 dollar of the rate is cash the resort fee kicks in. Has to be a 100% points stay for the fee to be waived.

On another note, is there a free airport shuttle? I have stayed here before but always had a rental car. This time no car.
None of the hotels on the beach have shuttles, takes jobs away from others
Old May 27, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
None of the hotels on the beach have shuttles, takes jobs away from others
Thanks for the info, but didn't really need the editorial, simple yes or no would have sufficed.
Old May 27, 19, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
nevermind
Old May 28, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Paying for an upgrade does not make the rate a points & money one. I double checked both with the Diamond Desk and the hotel directly. I already upgraded a points stay for Christmas and got a confirmation of the cash amount which did not include a resort fee.
Old May 28, 19, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info, but didn't really need the editorial, simple yes or no would have sufficed.
OUCH sorry my comment disturbed you, maybe next clarify yes or no just like we do in the courtroom
Old May 28, 19, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Paying for an upgrade does not make the rate a points & money one. I double checked both with the Diamond Desk and the hotel directly. I already upgraded a points stay for Christmas and got a confirmation of the cash amount which did not include a resort fee.

that’s why I said double check as I have told different.
Old May 29, 19, 6:51 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
For info, Costco has a Vacation Package with the HHV as an option. It comes with a free shuttle transfer to and from the airport. I also learned the $45 plus tax resort fee is added to that. If you wanted self parking, it's another $45 ++ , but I'm going to suggest my son and his fiancee rent a car near HHV for a day if they want to to avoid the parking fee. They will have one night on a free cert from my Hilton Honors AX credit card and 2 nights with Costco Vacation Package (includes airport transfers). I also was able to modify the days they get the transfers to line up w/ their free night (first night there) and then the 2 costco nights are next). Lots of coordination to save some bucks. But the 2 nights ocean view room is $683 including transfers but not including the $45 per night resort fee for mid July. Oh well, it's their honeymoon.

Last edited by T Q; May 29, 19 at 6:52 pm Reason: type
Old May 29, 19, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by T Q View Post
For info, Costco has a Vacation Package with the HHV as an option. It comes with a free shuttle transfer to and from the airport. I also learned the $45 plus tax resort fee is added to that. If you wanted self parking, it's another $45 ++ , but I'm going to suggest my son and his fiancee rent a car near HHV for a day if they want to to avoid the parking fee. They will have one night on a free cert from my Hilton Honors AX credit card and 2 nights with Costco Vacation Package (includes airport transfers). I also was able to modify the days they get the transfers to line up w/ their free night (first night there) and then the 2 costco nights are next). Lots of coordination to save some bucks. But the 2 nights ocean view room is $683 including transfers but not including the $45 per night resort fee for mid July. Oh well, it's their honeymoon.
The HHV has a National Car Rental on-site. I have known several people who go "carless" in Waikiki and just day-rent for excursions out of Honolulu. You can do a lot of Uber before you have spent more than the $45/day ($52 if you valet) parking fee.

For what it's worth, I did more or less the same thing for my oldest daughter a couple of years ago. I covered 5 nights at the HHV with my Hilton points (so no resort fee). They bought their own airfare and paid for their own parking. They had planned to get an AirBnB, but using my points saved them at least $500.
Old May 30, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here in early May. In total agreement with the posters who say that this place is a zoo. They nickel and dime you on everything, and gives the lowest quality of amenities given.

I won't be back.
Old May 30, 19, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by happychic View Post
Stayed here in early May. In total agreement with the posters who say that this place is a zoo. They nickel and dime you on everything, and gives the lowest quality of amenities given.

I won't be back.

X2
Old May 30, 19, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
I would go back. We go off season...no holidays, no kids. Staying in the Ali'i Tower you are sort of buffered from the chaos. I never feel nickel and dimed - I'm never blindsided by charges, they are always up front. If you are surprised by them you haven't done your homework.

My problem is since we want to stay in the Ali'i tower the points rates are astronomical, we have to wait for a sale that coincides with when we want to go, but it usually eventually does. We're patient.
Old May 30, 19, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Agree. I'm done with this place. I stay at Kahala now on FHR rate. It's $450+ per night, but the entire experience is just so much more pleasant.
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I never feel nickel and dimed - I'm never blindsided by charges, they are always up front. If you are surprised by them you haven't done your homework.
It's not a matter of being surprised. It's a matter of not appreciating being nickel-and-dimed. HHV would charge for hot water in the showers if they thought they could get away with it.
Old May 31, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
They nickel and dime you on everything
I never understand what people meant by 'the hotel nickels and dimes you...' What exactly do people expect? Free everything? HHV is like any other hotel where one is expected to pay for things they consume. The only thing I can think of is that the breakfast benefit is rather poor here, otherwise it's just like any other hotel.
Old May 31, 19, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I never understand what people meant by 'the hotel nickels and dimes you...' What exactly do people expect? Free everything? HHV is like any other hotel where one is expected to pay for things they consume.

​​​​​Off the top of my head:

* Got charged for resort fee for an all points award stay
* Got charged for valet parking for all days stayed when I didn't use their valet
* The breakfast credit was a joke. They didn't really care to implement this for elites. Didn't use the credit because, again, the property is a zoo
* Inquired about upgrade as a Diamond. Didn't get a response pre-arrival and none available during check-in. After a long flight I didn't bother to press for it
* Stood in check-in line for about half an hour. Maybe longer. I didn't really want to keep track after a while.
* Inquired about resort activities pre-arrival. Got told that I would need to be there in person to arrange for activities. Inquired again on arrival and was told to stand in a different line. Didn't bother because again, the place is a zoo
* Food quality on resort is terrible despite the high prices
* Coffee provided in room is of the lowest quality. Shouldn't be used at a property with such a high resort fee
* Housekeeping conveniently forgets to refill some of the amenities on most if not all days. Eg I would find myself consistently in a dilemma: should I let my husband have the cream and sugar in his coffee today or is it my turn?
* Mysteriously got charged with a towel fee. We didn't even visit the pool. Between the room rate and the resort fee, this should have been covered. Ironically the towels, just like the rooms, have seen better days.
* Honestly the furnishings of the room can do with an uplift. Most Holiday Inn Expresses seem luxurious compared to the raggedy room we were in
* Did I mention this place was a zoo and there's a line for the front desk at all times?

The front desk system was down upon checkout due to a system upgrade. I was assured express checkout would work just as well with key cards and pool cards enclosed in the envelope. So, there was no opportunity to review folio upon checkout. Life got busy after returning to mainland with work as well as personal commitments piling up. Got quite a shock when I reviewed credit card statement and saw all the erroneous charges. Had to spend time to reach out to the property after a stay that I would soon rather forget to get the charges refunded.

Nothing I had experienced on its own would have been terrible if it was an isolated incident. However, all together it paints a picture: the property nickels and dimes their guests. If I didn't pay attention to my credit card statement, I may not have realized all the erroneous charges that went through. I also believe the property systemically gives out the minimal benefits possible to elites not as a coincidence but is inline with their strategy. I would absolutely return to Oahu and even Waikiki Beach, but personally, never again to HHV. Hawaii is a magical place and I will have fond memories of my vacation. I just wish that I had picked a property that would have enhanced the magic, not take away from it.

Search this Thread