Old Mar 29, 15, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.


Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Waikoloa Village
Print Wikipost

Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Mar 3, 23, 7:48 pm
  #586  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by Abidjan
I had a similar travel day/decision and Kona Tap Room worked fine. It won't win any awards, but on day one it did the trick.
out of curiosity what did you try? I know resort food can be okay at best but the options atleast sound tasty. Also love the beer flight option.
Beachchaser is offline  
Old Mar 4, 23, 10:38 am
  #587  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 520
I'm staying at a nearby condo (not affiliated with Hilton) next month but I want to use up my Aspire resort credits. Does anyone have any experience going to a meal at KPC or paying for the luau and having it get reimbursed by Amex? I think KPC should be ok, but I'm wondering if the luau is a 3rd party that won't show up as Amex. Obviously, since I can't bill to the room I'm hoping they show up as a Hilton purchase.
mpeterson78 is offline  
Old May 19, 23, 8:40 am
  #588  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 808
For those diamonds who were upgraded, how long in advance did they upgrade you?
Beachchaser is offline  
Old May 19, 23, 9:25 am
  #589  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
For those diamonds who were upgraded, how long in advance did they upgrade you?
I was Gold and happened to notice an upgrade in the app a week or so out from my stay, e.g. from palace tower grounds to Makai ocean view. Not sure when that upgrade actually happened, as I didn't receive a notice about it. I also received an email offering an additional upgrade, e.g. from ocean view to ocean front, about five days out.
Beachchaser likes this.
ahself is offline  
Old May 19, 23, 1:56 pm
  #590  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by ahself
I was Gold and happened to notice an upgrade in the app a week or so out from my stay, e.g. from palace tower grounds to Makai ocean view. Not sure when that upgrade actually happened, as I didn't receive a notice about it. I also received an email offering an additional upgrade, e.g. from ocean view to ocean front, about five days out.
OMG, if the app gave you a free upgrade to makai, you should grab it. We have only ever been able to pay for that upgrade, "discounted" of course from the auto-upgrade to a Palace ocean-view room, but still needed to pay at the FD.
Beachchaser likes this.
HIFlya is offline  
Old May 19, 23, 7:56 pm
  #591  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by HIFlya
OMG, if the app gave you a free upgrade to makai, you should grab it. We have only ever been able to pay for that upgrade, "discounted" of course from the auto-upgrade to a Palace ocean-view room, but still needed to pay at the FD.
To be clear, the upgrade to the Makai ocean view room happened automatically, e.g. I booked a standard room in Palace with points last year, and some time earlier this year I was auto-upgraded to Makai. As I mentioned, I only noticed it a week or so out from my stay (in Feb.).
Beachchaser likes this.
ahself is offline  
Old May 19, 23, 8:00 pm
  #592  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by ahself
To be clear, the upgrade to the Makai ocean view room happened automatically, e.g. I booked a standard room in Palace with points last year, and some time earlier this year I was auto-upgraded to Makai. As I mentioned, I only noticed it a week or so out from my stay (in Feb.).
Yup, that is why I was so excited for you haha. I will have to be more diligent on look at the app a week or so out next time we stay.
Beachchaser likes this.
HIFlya is offline  
Old May 22, 23, 8:27 am
  #593  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: HHonors Diamond
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
For those diamonds who were upgraded, how long in advance did they upgrade you?
Last fall I booked a palace ocean view king and was moved to makai ocean view king when I went to check in on the app. I'm a diamond and frequent visitor since the 90s.
Beachchaser likes this.
matthewcr is offline  
Old May 23, 23, 6:47 pm
  #594  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by matthewcr
Last fall I booked a palace ocean view king and was moved to makai ocean view king when I went to check in on the app. I'm a diamond and frequent visitor since the 90s.
Makai Ocean to Palace Ocean I think is more expected? That is considered one class up? The standard award room is Palace resort? In my experiences so far, the free upgrade was up to Palace Ocean and you pay discounted to Makai.
HIFlya is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 1:00 pm
  #595  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: HHonors Diamond
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Makai Ocean to Palace Ocean I think is more expected? That is considered one class up? The standard award room is Palace resort? In my experiences so far, the free upgrade was up to Palace Ocean and you pay discounted to Makai.
I thought Palace was entry level and you upgraded to MAKAI. Rates are lower for similar Palace rooms and every time I book in Palace I get upgraded to MAKAI.
matthewcr is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 1:51 pm
  #596  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by matthewcr
I thought Palace was entry level and you upgraded to MAKAI. Rates are lower for similar Palace rooms and every time I book in Palace I get upgraded to MAKAI.
That's correct, and the rest of HIFlya's comments support that. I think HIFlya just got the two reversed in his opening words.
ahself is offline  
Old May 25, 23, 2:11 pm
  #597  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by matthewcr
I thought Palace was entry level and you upgraded to MAKAI. Rates are lower for similar Palace rooms and every time I book in Palace I get upgraded to MAKAI.
Sorry...I transposed the order. Yes, Palace is the entry level, however, the standard awards rooms are Palace Resort View. In my experience, the free upgrade they offer for elites is one category up, so we normally get Palace Resort to Palace Ocean. If you originally booked Palace Ocean, then getting the free upgrade to Makai Ocean is expected IMO. Going from Palace Resort to Makai Ocean is not "normal" in my experience so ahself getting that type of upgrade is a IMO.
HIFlya is offline  
Old May 27, 23, 4:49 pm
  #598  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: HHonors Diamond
Posts: 51
Ok cool, yeah I have always booked at least an ocean view - agree with your comments for sure on ocean to ocean.
Miss the ocean tower, always stayed there overlooking buddha point for 20 years
matthewcr is offline  
Old Jun 6, 23, 1:03 pm
  #599  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,182
Anyone know if the luau can be charged to the room and hence trigger Aspire resort credit?
italdesign is offline  
Old Yesterday, 2:30 am
  #600  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 808
I recently stayed at this property on FNC and booked a palace resort view and was upgraded to a palace ocean view top floor, views were great room and parts of the property looked tired or needing upkeep imho. The lagoon was amazing, the pools were nice but the lack of shade and no umbrellas was disappointing especially when the cost of a cabana is $284. We used our diamond food and beverage credit mostly at nui for a few dinners as we explored the island for 10 is hours 2 of our 4 days on the big island. Starbucks is a nice scenic 20 min walk each morning and island market gourmet is in the same shopping center for beer, wine, liquor, snacks, meals etc. Overall the hotel is a nice base for exploring but lacks the attention to detail the grand wailea provides granted at 1/3 the cost of the grand wailea.
Beachchaser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread