Old Mar 29, 15, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.


Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Waikoloa Village
Print Wikipost

Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Aug 22, 17, 2:58 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
It looks like valet is about $10/day more than self parking - which did you use?

Can anyone tell me where, exactly, the drop off is for valet (do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?), and where, exactly the self parking lots are (and again, do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?).
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 6:25 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Posts: 4,981
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It looks like valet is about $10/day more than self parking - which did you use?

Can anyone tell me where, exactly, the drop off is for valet (do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?), and where, exactly the self parking lots are (and again, do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?).
The valet parking drop off is right at the main entrance to the hotel, and that's the only valet location. The driveway to the hotel ends at a circle and that's where the main entrance and valet parking staff are located.

There's only one parking lot for the entire property and it's shared with the valet parked cars. The lot is to the south of the lagoon tower and main entrance. When driving it's accessed just off the main road (Waikoloa Beach Drive). There's an entrance to the lot on the circle right where the driveway to the HWV main entrance meets the main road.
PHLGovFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 6:32 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The valet parking drop off is right at the main entrance to the hotel, and that's the only valet location. The driveway to the hotel ends at a circle and that's where the main entrance and valet parking staff are located.

There's only one parking lot for the entire property and it's shared with the valet parked cars. The lot is to the south of the lagoon tower and main entrance. When driving it's accessed just off the main road (Waikoloa Beach Drive). There's an entrance to the lot on the circle right where the driveway to the HWV main entrance meets the main road.
This is great information. I just looked at the aerial map. So it looks like if you self park, and are staying in the Lagoon Tower (which we are), if you park pretty far along the side (east/right side looking down at them) of the tennis courts you might be pretty close to the Lagoon Tower (Important point - is there an entrance on that side of the tower - near the parking lot - or not? Not sure if the parking lot is all fenced in?).

You know, I bet you can of course walk from the back of the Lagoon Tower out because that's how people would get to the tennis courts, right?

Last edited by Eujeanie; Aug 22, 17 at 6:39 pm Reason: answered my own question
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 10:10 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Posts: 3,475
Originally Posted by ksyrah
Just got back. Holy cow, they really raised parking prices. Found out that part of the Ocean tower conversion is that they are going to refurbish the boats. They are contemplating diesel or electric conversion. Hilton took over from Ocean sports and is running the lagoon rentals and pool desks. Nice new lagoon toys. But, the kohala slide is closed because management doesn't want to pay for an employee to sit there.
What was your breakfast benefit as a Diamond? Thx!
Westcoaster is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 7:53 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Posts: 4,981
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
This is great information. I just looked at the aerial map. So it looks like if you self park, and are staying in the Lagoon Tower (which we are), if you park pretty far along the side (east/right side looking down at them) of the tennis courts you might be pretty close to the Lagoon Tower (Important point - is there an entrance on that side of the tower - near the parking lot - or not? Not sure if the parking lot is all fenced in?).

You know, I bet you can of course walk from the back of the Lagoon Tower out because that's how people would get to the tennis courts, right?
IIRC the tennis courts are pretty well fenced off from the parking lot. The tennis courts are directly connected to the spa/fitness center which is in the southern protuberance of the Lagoon Tower. I think they try to keep the spa and courts secured so the only access is through the Lagoon Tower.

What is difficult to see is the walkway from the parking lot to the main entrance of the property. If you're at the main entrance there's a sloped walkway to the southwest that leads to stairs down to the lot (it's about 150 feet from the main entrance to the stairs). The walkway continues past the stairs and continues sloping down to the parking lot to the west of the stairs (it's effectively handicapped accessible - no steps).
PHLGovFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 8:04 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
IIRC the tennis courts are pretty well fenced off from the parking lot. The tennis courts are directly connected to the spa/fitness center which is in the southern protuberance of the Lagoon Tower. I think they try to keep the spa and courts secured so the only access is through the Lagoon Tower.

What is difficult to see is the walkway from the parking lot to the main entrance of the property. If you're at the main entrance there's a sloped walkway to the southwest that leads to stairs down to the lot (it's about 150 feet from the main entrance to the stairs). The walkway continues past the stairs and continues sloping down to the parking lot to the west of the stairs (it's effectively handicapped accessible - no steps).
Sounds like for $10/day valet might be the better option after all. Especially in the Hawaiian heat.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 11:28 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 45
Breakfast

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
What was your breakfast benefit as a Diamond? Thx!
Continental with an up charge to full buffet. Your name will be on a list sorted by room number.
ksyrah is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 11:30 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It looks like valet is about $10/day more than self parking - which did you use?

Can anyone tell me where, exactly, the drop off is for valet (do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?), and where, exactly the self parking lots are (and again, do they have more than one depending on the tower you are in?).
Valet. Schelpping kids and bags makes it more convenient. You can use their in-house texting service to have the car ready. The humidity was pretty high. I was lamenting that it went up $10 since we were there in March.
ksyrah is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 1:00 pm
  #189  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Posts: 3,475
Originally Posted by ksyrah
Continental with an up charge to full buffet. Your name will be on a list sorted by room number.
Thank you. Nice to hear that they still allow us at least the cold buffet. Were the lines long when you went? I've heard that they can be long at certain times. I assume earlier is better (if I can get Mr. Westcoaster out of bed early, that is.)
Westcoaster is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 5:32 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thank you. Nice to hear that they still allow us at least the cold buffet. Were the lines long when you went? I've heard that they can be long at certain times. I assume earlier is better (if I can get Mr. Westcoaster out of bed early, that is.)
I have stayed there twice this year, and have found the upcharge to be very inconsistently applied.

As you stand in the dining area, facing back toward the entrance, there is a small room off to the left with fairly typical "continental" offerings - fruit, yogurt, pastries. In the middle, sort of out in the open, is an island with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and breakfast potatoes. On the far right is an omelet station and a couple of pancake machines.

At various times, I have been told that only the room on the left is included in the continental - excluding all hot options, and other times that everything except the omelet station/pancakes are included.

I have also been charged different upcharge amounts on different visits during the same stay - sometimes $10, sometimes $15. One time, my wife and I were eating together. I had scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes, she had a small scoop of potatoes. The server added a $15 charge for her and nothing for me.

Some clarity would be nice, but it was such a small portion of the total bill it just never seemed worth pursuing. Besides, it was always a little exciting to see which way it was going to go on a given day! ;-)
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 5:52 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have stayed there twice this year, and have found the upcharge to be very inconsistently applied.

As you stand in the dining area, facing back toward the entrance, there is a small room off to the left with fairly typical "continental" offerings - fruit, yogurt, pastries. In the middle, sort of out in the open, is an island with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and breakfast potatoes. On the far right is an omelet station and a couple of pancake machines.

At various times, I have been told that only the room on the left is included in the continental - excluding all hot options, and other times that everything except the omelet station/pancakes are included.

I have also been charged different upcharge amounts on different visits during the same stay - sometimes $10, sometimes $15. One time, my wife and I were eating together. I had scrambled eggs, sausage and potatoes, she had a small scoop of potatoes. The server added a $15 charge for her and nothing for me.

Some clarity would be nice, but it was such a small portion of the total bill it just never seemed worth pursuing. Besides, it was always a little exciting to see which way it was going to go on a given day! ;-)
On a party for 2, how do you know WHO got the upcharge and who did not?
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:06 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
On a party for 2, how do you know WHO got the upcharge and who did not?
I had a sprite, she didn't.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:21 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I had a sprite, she didn't.
But isn't it still just a ticket for 2?
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:32 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But isn't it still just a ticket for 2?
Yes, I'm not sure what is causing the problem here. The ticket showed two buffets, one with a sprite, the other with a $15 upcharge. Maybe she intended that it be added to mine, or maybe she just wanted it to be reflected at the table and didn't care who she assigned it to.

Regardless, at the time the server made whatever upcharge decision that she did, both of us were sitting with plates of food from the same area of the buffet. But she only charged one of us.

What I am trying to get across is that in May, when my wife and I stayed there for a week, sometimes there was no upcharge for the scrambled eggs/bacon/sausage/potatoes selections. sometimes both were upcharged. One time, one was upcharged and the other wasn't. Sometimes the charge was $10. Other times, it was $15.

My takeaway, is that after spending 12 nights there on two different trips this year, is that I don't know for sure how much the upcharge is supposed to be - or when it is supposed to apply.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 7:01 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 7,659
Ok, now I understand. I guess the mood of the server might be the determining factor, unfortunately.
Eujeanie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread