Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page > Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Old Feb 12, 04, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Arrow Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Posts older than 2011 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 29, 16 at 6:51 am
Old Jan 6, 11, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Help pls

Going to San Francisco with my wife for a nice holiday in September. Still not sure which hotel to choose:

-is really Hilton Union Square the flagship Hilton hotel over there?
-Are they still not having EL floor/lounge or being renovated?
-Want to have a nice place, like King room high floor cityview, is it high enough to see down to the bay? Alcatraz maybe?
-what's the chance to have a nice upgrade for a Diamond here?
-if I book a reward stay, will I have the sStandby upgrade opportunity to pay up on the basic room?

Thank you
Old Jan 6, 11, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I went to San Fracisco between 26-30 Dec and had exactly same questions, so here's my perpective:
-is really Hilton Union Square the flagship Hilton hotel over there?
Hilton Financial District is in Chinatown, and requires 10-15 minutes walk everytime to Union Square. Hilton Union Square is 4 minutes away from Union Square, with much more restaurants and shops around.

We stayed at the Union Square, and after seeing where both hotels are located, I am happy with my choice. It is the largest hotel in town and maybe not the best, but if you go for Hilton, you can't go wrong. The number of restaurants nearby is huge.
-Are they still not having EL floor/lounge or being renovated?
They don't have EL, but offer you free wifi throughout the hotel. Free continental breakfast is absolutely great, only in one of the days we decided to pay the extra 10$ for the full breakfast.
-Want to have a nice place, like King room high floor cityview, is it high enough to see down to the bay? Alcatraz maybe?
More frequent travellers might advise better, but we got a room on 35th floor with city view and Golden Bridge view. Not sure if you can see Alcatraz from the hotel, as there is quite a big hill between the two If you want to see pictures, PM me and I'll share the link.
-what's the chance to have a nice upgrade for a Diamond here?
Not sure, but I thought the room we got was pretty nice, much in-line with any other Executive Room I got in Europe or Asia.
-if I book a reward stay, will I have the sStandby upgrade opportunity to pay up on the basic room?
No idea, sorry.
Old Feb 21, 11, 9:21 am

hello...read through the posts and looking for a quick recommendation....staying in SF from july 2-6...two adults and 4 kids...one a toddler, the others tweens....planning on getting 2 rooms...one paid and one points...husband is diamond...which hotel to choose....Fishermans wharf or union station...we will be doing the usual touristy things..not much shopping and not planning on having a car....we dont mind public transport and walking....nice to be close to restaurants for dinner.

thanks
Old Apr 1, 11, 4:51 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
I stayed at this hotel a few years ago when I had some status, now I have nothing but the low level Silver. I've been staying at the Westin the last few times but now I see $119 for the Hilton for my upcoming trip... my only real concern is that my event is at the Moscone West - is it a real pain in the behind to walk over there - I can't remember if the walk on the other side of Market is up hill.

I assume $119 is a great rate for this property?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 11, 7:18 pm

No, it is flat on that side of Market (south side). You'll have a very, very gentle downhill slope to Market from the Hilton (down Powell or Stockton, but by no means a hill), and then flat from there over to Moscone Center. And I think $119 is a pretty good rate there right now. Don't forget the parking charge if you've got a car ~$50 per day. Just to be clear, we're talking about the Hilton on O'Farrell, not the Hilton Financial District.
Old Apr 5, 11, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces View Post
No, it is flat on that side of Market (south side). You'll have a very, very gentle downhill slope to Market from the Hilton (down Powell or Stockton, but by no means a hill), and then flat from there over to Moscone Center. And I think $119 is a pretty good rate there right now. Don't forget the parking charge if you've got a car ~$50 per day. Just to be clear, we're talking about the Hilton on O'Farrell, not the Hilton Financial District.
thank you - mvp is now also 119 so i think i will book that so i can cancel if i want

thanks!
Old Apr 6, 11, 11:21 am

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
brief trip report

One night stay Sunday on a $155 advance purchase rate. given a harbor/Golden Gate bridge view room in Tower 1 on the 42nd floor, water bottles, free internet, and breakfast coupons for continental breakfast (which was pretty comprehensive). Also given a 1:00 PM late checkout. Lobby and staff were good, room was nice except for a somewhat worn out mattress.
Old May 2, 11, 3:47 pm

Programs: Won't belong to any club that'll have me as a member
Had a 3-night stay, Thursday-Sunday, using an MVP rate.

As a Gold, was given a west-facing city view room in Tower 1 on the 25th floor, certificate for two water bottles out of the minibar, code for free Internet, and three Starbucks coupons.

Noticed the black electrical tape on some of the directional signs that I assume was covering up the phrase "Executive Lounge."

Incidentally, the "if you have one of these HHonors coupons, here's what you can get" poster at the Starbucks is illustrated with a Diamond coupon (gray), a Gold coupon (blue), and a City View Tower Room coupon (green) -- but my Gold coupon was gray. Guess they ran out of the thick blue paper stock at some point.
Old May 2, 11, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74 View Post
Had a 3-night stay, Thursday-Sunday, using an MVP rate.

As a Gold, was given a west-facing city view room in Tower 1 on the 25th floor, certificate for two water bottles out of the minibar, code for free Internet, and three Starbucks coupons.

Noticed the black electrical tape on some of the directional signs that I assume was covering up the phrase "Executive Lounge."

Incidentally, the "if you have one of these HHonors coupons, here's what you can get" poster at the Starbucks is illustrated with a Diamond coupon (gray), a Gold coupon (blue), and a City View Tower Room coupon (green) -- but my Gold coupon was gray. Guess they ran out of the thick blue paper stock at some point.
if you have any of the internet codes left, i'd be happy to purchase them from you as i have a stay coming up this weekend.
Old May 3, 11, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by allen074 View Post
if you have any of the internet codes left, i'd be happy to purchase them from you as i have a stay coming up this weekend.
Sorry, the code was given in the form of a sticker that the front desk clerk attached to the key folder, which I no longer have -- and if I recall correctly, the expiration date for the code was today, May 3, anyway.
Old May 7, 11, 1:54 pm

for ya'all that have stayed at this property - any suggestions on what i should try to ask for room-wise when i check-in tomorrow? I am booked in a normal king - is one tower better than the other? I don't care so much about floor but would prefer a nice room over a view.

Thanks
Old May 13, 11, 3:40 pm

Had a good stay this week at the Hilton SF. Checked in Sunday morning at 11am - no line although as I was checking in, the line built up. Was given a room in tower 3 - but a "48" room - got off the elevator - realized that a xx48 room was in palo alto so I went back to the front desk. Another person helped me - he gave me a xx97 room which was great - he said the room had been refurbished so it was better than the other room.

Overall the room was small but not as small as the HI Express on 5th ave in manhattan. For $125 a night I am not complaining at all. Room had a large lcd tv, had the newer bath soaps and shampoos. Internet at $13/day was high to me - so for 4 nights I paid $55 which was absurd.

They gave me 2 free waters since I am hhonors.

And the best part was that the bus #27 right outside (if you go out through the garage) took me one block from Moscone.

While not as fancy as the Westin Market Street or the IC, it was a very nice stay.
Old May 16, 11, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by allen074 View Post
Internet at $13/day was high to me - so for 4 nights I paid $55 which was absurd.
If the "Hilton Gold" in your profile is correct, Internet should have been free -- the clerk at check-in should have given you a sticker with a promotion code on it (along with Starbucks breakfast certificates, and the coupon for the water).
Old Jun 4, 11, 2:52 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
SF Union Square: Best tower?

I'm a bit confused by the different reviews I've read about the Union Square property. I don't even understand if the hotel has 2 or 3 towers. I'm HH Gold, and I usually have a decent chance to get a room according to my preferences with Hilton unless the hotel is fully booked, if only I know what to ask for... Any regular guests at this hotel that can advise me?

My top priority is a quiet room, without interconnecting doors. A nice view is a bonus, but of less importance than not being disturbed by the neighbours. Since different parts of this hotels are built at different stages, does any of the towers have thicker walls and less hall traffic than the other(s)?

Search this Thread