Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: up in the air
Arrow Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Posts older than 2015 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 25, 17 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 5, 15, 5:48 pm

Booked a CLASSIC 2 BEDS room at this hotel for mid-January 2015. Is there any way to know if these are double beds or perhaps queen beds? Also, what are the odds of getting a renovated room?
Old Jan 6, 15, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, MR/SPG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, others
As Hilton Diamond, you're very likely to get at least a renovated room.

I don't know specifically about the bed size for their 2-bed rooms; the ridiculous photos would seem to indicate queen, but the perspective intentionally makes it hard to tell.
Old Jan 7, 15, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold / KLM / Hilton Diamond
I was trying to book some nights here for next summer (augusts), but I see rates at $600. This is ex High Parking rates.
S.F is popular?
Old Jan 7, 15, 7:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yes.

Neil
Old Jan 7, 15, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, MR/SPG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, others
I've seen rates at that hotel from sub-$200 to >$500. It depends on what's going on in SF that day. (Many of my stays there are on points.)
Old Jan 7, 15, 10:08 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
You need to be specific with dates. VMWorld and Oracle's event completely sellout the city a year in advance.
Old Jan 7, 15, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sort of thing would certainly help explain the price swings I see.
Old Jan 8, 15, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
You need to be specific with dates. VMWorld and Oracle's event completely sellout the city a year in advance.
Yes there are several conventions in the summer and fall that fill virtually every hotel in the bay area and drive room rates at the major properties to $600+ per night. In between, the same hotels can drop below $200 per night.

And I don't care what's going on, I would never pay over $250 for the Hilton Union Square.
Old Jan 11, 15, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The Bay Area Hotel Market is pretty pathetic, no new major hotel have been built in the past decade, there is a shortage of hotel rooms and it was done on purpose. But, I would never pay $250 to stay at this DUMP... the Hilton is a horrible hotel, it's depressing, worn out, and located in a god awful part of of downtown.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes there are several conventions in the summer and fall that fill virtually every hotel in the bay area and drive room rates at the major properties to $600+ per night. In between, the same hotels can drop below $200 per night.

And I don't care what's going on, I would never pay over $250 for the Hilton Union Square.
Old Jan 11, 15, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS Premium, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer View Post
The Bay Area Hotel Market is pretty pathetic, no new major hotel have been built in the past decade, there is a shortage of hotel rooms and it was done on purpose. But, I would never pay $250 to stay at this DUMP... the Hilton is a horrible hotel, it's depressing, worn out, and located in a god awful part of of downtown.
That is a very harsh and, in my opinion, completely unjustified description of this property. Public areas are well-maintained, many rooms have been renovated, and I like the location.
Old Jan 11, 15, 11:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
That is a very harsh and, in my opinion, completely unjustified description of this property. Public areas are well-maintained, many rooms have been renovated, and I like the location.
Agreed. I'm here at least 3 times a year. While I have an intense dislike for San Francisco in general I've stayed in far worse hotels. The renovated rooms are nice, the lady working the hhonors check-in desk has been there for over 30 years and is always a joy to chat with on check-in, and the area around the hotel continues to improve.

Neil
Old Jan 11, 15, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer View Post
I would tend to agree.

The Hilton has the worst location of all the major hotels in terms of sketchiness. On the plus side, it is reasonably close to BART.
Old Jan 11, 15, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Last year I stayed at both this hotel and the Hilton in the Financial district and prefer the Financial property. The lobby at Union Square is more stylish but the room in the Financial district had a bit more style.
Old Jan 11, 15, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Last year I stayed at both this hotel and the Hilton in the Financial district and prefer the Financial property. The lobby at Union Square is more stylish but the room in the Financial district had a bit more style.
I like the location of the FD better and it is a new hotel and it's a plus they have an exec lounge (even though it's always crowded).

I like the Union Square Hilton because they are more generous with upgrades when they are available (I have never had a suite upgrade at the FD but have before at Union Square) and I like the breakfast benefit a lot better at Union Square, if you are travelling solo you can use the 2nd coupon later in the day at Starbucks and the restaurant free breakfast is very good (even better when they allow you to use it for the full buffet free).

Search this Thread