Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Why do point transfers take 30 days?

Old Mar 4, 15, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG

About a week ago, I needed to top off my United account to make an award reservation for a trip next week. I was just under 2,000 miles short and transferring from Hilton seemed less costly than buying the additional miles from United.

I went to the website and completed the form. While there is small print at the bottom of the page that says it can take up to 30 days, I missed it. I completed the 20,000 point to 2,000 mile exchange and expect it to appear in a reasonable time frame. United tells me that nothing has been submitted for my account from Hilton (and that they would post any incoming miles within 24 hours of receipt).

The Hilton agent I just spoke with tells me that it's a 30 day process and if I wanted it faster I should have called and paid a fee.

Transfers with such a long delay seem completely pointless. Why does it take so long?
Old Mar 4, 15, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A WAG is they only run the process once a month. Real-time connections have costs involved and I suspect HH IT wants to keep more control over the event. I suspect the biggest cost is tracking how many miles they need to buy from the airline netted against any reverse transactions.

I've read all too often that last-minute transfers don't always go as quickly as desired.
Old Mar 5, 15, 9:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

HHonors operates in a fashion to keep all costs to a minimum. Maybe this will change some day?
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:37 am

Ehh, I think it's just both organizations pointing the finger at the other and neither wanting to hold itself to a tight standard knowing that the other could be the holdup.

I've never had experience transferring Hilton -> airline, but I've done the opposite several times and they never take as long as I'm warned they might. For example, I just did a transfer from VS to Hilton and, despite being warned it could take a month, the transfer completed in 3 days.
Old Mar 6, 15, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I'm now at a week, though, and Hilton says it will take the full 30 days.

It amazes me, though, because normal earning doesn't take that long.
Old Mar 6, 15, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
What would really help here is instead of posting how long it took is to post the actual date it happens. I'm guessing we will see a pattern and be able to find out if it's on or about a particular day of the month or week and that will confirm a scheduled batch date. And it may be direction dependent. I seriously doubt they have programed the system to hold all transactions for 30 days or so. That's just a bit too much given what we've seen HH IT do.

This has got to be known within HH IT, but just not disseminated down the ranks. Back in the day I was delivering a product from my database, I always quoted a five day turn, but delivered in less than two. I needed five days to restock in case of a massive request depleting inventory.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: