Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2002, 5:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold VIP,QP Gold, PC Platinum, pleb everthing else
Best and cheapest limo service in Rome for fixed prices is www.limoservicerome.com offering fixed prices $25,30,35 in clean quality vehicles

------------------
JBC
If it is to be, it is up to me
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Cavalieri, Rome

Hello All,

I'm in the final stages of planning my New Years trip to Rome for five nights, and need some advice before selecting a hotel. I have read all of the Cavalieri Flyertalk posts, and I'm basically looking for some advice from the many FT members who have stayed there recently.

The Hilton Cavalieri is first on my list, because I'm a HHonors Gold member and because I've been impressed with everything I've read about it. That being said, I am significantly concerned about its distance from central Rome. Overall, would you say that staying at the Cavalieri is still worth inconvience caused by its location?

I imagine that getting into Rome would not be difficult thanks to the shuttle. Surely, however, I will be having some late dinners in Rome past the time the shuttle runs. How difficult did you find returning to the hotel in the evening? Is it difficult to find a taxi? Being that this is my biggest area of concern, I would really appreciate anything else you could add. Would you say that $10 is about the taxi fare from central Rome to the hotel?

Being that I'm only a HHonors Gold, and that I will be staying over New Years, I'm not going to even expect an upgrade. How are the standard rooms? Will Golds get access to the Executive Lounge? I see that my rate includes breakfast, would this be the breakfast served in the Executive Lounge or elsewhere? Also, would anyone recommend the Cavalieri's resturant for dinner?

On a side note - does anyone have suggestions on what to do on Sundays in Rome? I'm assuming that almost all of the attractions will be closed. I'm thinking of perhaps taking the train to Florence or elsewhere and just viewing some nice Italian countryside. Also, all the ammenities of the Cavalieri (health club, pools, etc.) should still be open Sunday, correct? Any thoughts?

Please feel free to add any thing else concerning the Cavalieri. Thank you ver much for all your thoughts and time.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerBeek:
On a side note - does anyone have suggestions on what to do on Sundays in Rome? I'm assuming that almost all of the attractions will be closed. I'm thinking of perhaps taking the train to Florence or elsewhere and just viewing some nice Italian countryside. </font>
I haven't stayed at this Hotel but thought I'd add my two cents anyway.

I just returned last week from two weeks in Italy (5 days of which were spent in Rome). It is incorrect to assume that everything shuts down on Sundays. In fact, virtually every museum and attraction is open on Sundays. The only challenge becomes the churches, which are open but in a limited fashion during masses. Most museums and points of interest are closed on Monday or Tuesday. It is worthwhile perusing Rick Steve's guidebook which includes a nice plan for managing days of closure.

As for taking a daytrip to Florence to see the countryside, I wouldn't recommend it. The fast train to Florence passes through numerous tunnels (obliterating the countryside), the slow train makes you wonder why you ever embarked on such an adventure. Florence is a glorious and beautiful city, but the countryside is best visited by car, using Florence as a base. A better daytrip idea is Pompeii or Napoli.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old Nov 14, 2002, 3:32 am

Some years ago I stayed at the Cavalieri and in my opinion it´s really worth the inconvenience caused by it´s location. I had a beautifull (standard) room overlooking Rome. When I was there I wasn´t a Gold yet but I found out that Hiltons in europe treat their Gold´s much better than in the U.S. as there aren´t that many.

You can also take the public bus to downtown Rome. A bus stop is nearby. As the busses are rather full watch out for pickpockets. Taxis aren´t that expensive and a ride shouldn´t cost more than 10$.

The food at the restaurant is good but rather expensive. For dinner you should better go to a typical italien restaurant.

Have a nice stay in bella Roma
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:18 am

Driving in Rome is extremely challenging. If you do rent a car, pick it up at the airport not downtown or the train station.

Siena is closer and might make a good side trip.

I would guess a taxi would be closer to $15, since I was paying $7 or $8 from my hotel.

The food and wine in Rome is excellent and a bargain.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 7:23 am

I love this hotel, but the location is challenging.

Be really careful with these Taxi's, often they will try to take advantage of you. During my 1 week stay I has drivers who:
1. Tried to sell me stolen merchandise
2. Constantly forgetting to start the meter
3. Having the meter running (5-10 mins)before I get into the Taxi.
4. Took me round and round the city
5. Had no change whatsoever

Always get the Taxi licence, and never be afraid to simply get out and look for a cop and refuse to pay the fare.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
The free shuttle from the hotel is shut down on Sundays. We have not been there in 10 years but found the location to be a huge nuisance. I would save the points for somewhere else. It takes a long time by public transit to get to this hotel AND we found that transit was hard to come by past 11 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:02 pm

It has been several years since I was there, and then for only 2 days. But it seems to me that they actually charged hotel guests (I don't know about Hhonors because at the time I didn't know about it) around $20 just to use the pool.

And, on the street near the hotel I went into a little bar (what they call a bar, what we would call a coffee bar) and had the greatest hot chocolate I could ever imagine. Nearly made me quit drinking it anywhere else. I don't know the name of the place, and don't even know if it is still there - but I still think of it when I drink American h.c.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:35 pm

We pondered staying at the Cav Hilton on our last trip as it would have been free. Decided against it for the same reasons you've stated.

Instead we stayed at a convent in Trastavere and felt that trip to be the best ever for Rome accommodations. We did have a midnight curfew at our convent which to us was no problem (some convents didn't have curfews). We had a fine, walkable location which was very convenient to the bus. We also did something different from our previous trips there in that we found a good restaurant and ate there almost every evening. The waiters rewarded us by giving us the best table by the fire and treating us like old friends!

If this is your first trip to Rome I suggest you not to go off on a day trip. There is so much to see in Rome with only 5 days. Try to get signed up online for the tour of St. Peter's Basilica basement. I can't explain how amazing that was. Sorry more advice than you asked for but I love Rome--and Italy!
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Thanks for all the great information!

Does anyone who stayed at the Cavalieri recently have any information regarding HH Golds using of the executive lounge?

Also, some have said that there is a daily charge to use the pool. Does this apply to Golds, as it was my understanding that Golds receive complementary access to fitness facilities (is the Cavalieri an exception)?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:34 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Although FlyerBeek has emailed me directly and I already gave him my info - wanted to post here for others to know.

Had a marvelous stay a month and half ago. Used a GLONP award and paid for 3 nights. I'm gold and was pre-upgraded to the "Deluxe Room" which has the spectacular view of Rome with daily breakfast in the restaurant. I had read on FT and it was confirmed through HHonors that as a Gold I would not be given access to the lounge - only Diamonds were allowed.

However, in a stroke of good fortune my reservation was linked to my parents 'all comped VIP stay' and we all received access to the lounge. (I had read from other FT'ers that the breakfast in the restaurant was good though).

They are currently renovating the executive level - level 7 and 8 - so we had rooms on the fifth floor that had just received renovations. The rooms were huge and beautifully appointed - and that view is amazing.

I didn't have any experience with the Pool, spa or fitness center.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:28 pm

I stayed there three weeks ago, on award stay I am diamond, met other diamonds in lounge but did not meet any golds. Renovation was finished on 7th floor where we stayed but was continuing on 8th floor.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:07 pm

We heard lots of opinions about this place before we decided to stay there so we traded off location for the "Quality." Big mistake. "Quality" is indeed very subjective. Distance is not.

I think the location is horrible. You can walk to nothing, zero, not the Vatican as they indicate on the map, nada. The shuttle is very inconvenient. We used it once, one way. Taxis can be tough to come by during the holidays, esp at night. Staying here in Rome is like staying in NJ when you are visiting NYC.

We were told no gold, only diamond, to executive level, period. Our room had a great view with a terrace, was large and comfortable. The decor is very dated and stale. The brochures and pictures are far nicer than the hotel. No free health club access because it is not owned by the hotel.

Service was ok. Concierge was a C-. Food was excellent at the Cav's restaurant. LaPergola was also excellent but a bit too formal, stiff, and "un-Italian" for my taste. Views from both roof top restaurants are wonderful.

The real killer, again, is the location. I would never stay here again unless I had no other possible choice. I would stay in town and take a cab up there for New Years Dinner and watch the fireworks.

[This message has been edited by canacapitl (edited 11-20-2002).]
Old Nov 29, 2002, 9:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Canceling Hilton Cavalieri Rome GLONP Award Reservation

I have a confirmed GLONP Award reservation for the Rome Cavalieri July 27 - August 2 2003.

My travel plans have changed and I no longer wish to keep my reservation. Before I cancel I want to give a "heads up" to my fellow FlyerTalkers in case someone wants to take over the reservation.

Please e-mail me if you are interested and we can try to work out the details.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Email address for Rome Cavaliri Hilton??

Anyone have it??

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.