Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
She physically took it out of your hand?!?! I'm staying here in March and Ye Gods if someone does this to me they better have backup career plans. Yikes. I'd have been incandescent.
I agree, that should not happen in a luxury hotel.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Pictorial Review of the WA Rome Cavalieri:

Lovely Room:

Room
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Floorplan:

floor plan
by BA_pics, on Flickr

words to follow but some pics for those interested:

Entrance area:

Into Room:

View into room
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View back to door:

Wardrobe and Entrance
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Room:

View back to entrance
by BA_pics, on Flickr

King Bed:

King Bed by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bedside Table:

Bedside table 2
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Work Desk Area:

Work desk
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Sitting area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom:

Bathroom 1
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 2
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 3
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Balcony:

Balcony marble
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Views from Balcony of room:

By Night:

Pool from Balcony
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Rome by night
by BA_pics, on Flickr

view down to grounds from Balcony
by BA_pics, on Flickr

By Day:

View from Balcony 2
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View from Balcony
by BA_pics, on Flickr

On the Walk from the hotel through Rome:

Pantheon Lunch
by BA_pics, on Flickr
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
BotB

What category is this room? Standard/entry level or Imperial floor, etc.?
Thanks...as always, awesome photos. ^
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:14 am

I am just mesmerized by that carpet...easily amused I guess.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:24 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
BotB

What category is this room? Standard/entry level or Imperial floor, etc.?
Thanks...as always, awesome photos. ^
I had booked a king deluxe premium rome view (superlatives anyone ) with points for 78k (one night). I had hoped this would mean an upgrade to an imperial floor room (one level upgrade)...they did apologise at check in and said they couldn't upgrade me as no availability in next room category (i didn't check to see if this was correct or not, there was a large convention in the hotel so maybe it was true, maybe not). I was quite tired after a long day at work so this was still a very nice room, however, it was only the room I had booked. Hope that helps. (BTW, it was only 8k points more for this room over the standard room for some reason so I decided it was worth the extra points).

Re: carpet: agree, actually, many nice hotel rooms I have been in have had 'framed' sections of the room outlining the bed or other areas that do really help to make the room what it is. (WA Amsterdam for example is another with blue main colour and a contrasting high light).

I'll add a few notes to the pics this weekend to give some substance to the pics.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I was under the impresion this hotel will not upgrade to Imperial floor rooms, you have to book. As such lack of upgrade would not be due to availability.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
I was under the impresion this hotel will not upgrade to Imperial floor rooms, you have to book. As such lack of upgrade would not be due to availability.
I had read that as well and from my recent stay it appears this remains valid. (would have been nice if they had said as much instead of using a 'little white lie').

Having to pay Euro 20 for breakfast, no upgrade and no lounge are strong issues here. I also asked the night before if I could have a late check out as my flight wasn't leaving until 21:00...I was told it would be noted on the system and to check back in the morning...after breakfast I did follow up and can only guess that no mention of it was in the system as I had to go through the whole request again with the result that I felt like they were doing me an outrageous favour to give me until 13:30...(90 minute extension). Granted that was better than nothing, but still left me feeling like I was a second class citizen.

The hotel is a very nice hotel, I had a lovely room with a nice view and some staff were very outgoing and helpful. Breakfast was quite good (if you agreed to pay for it)... however, not sure I'll bother going back TBH, as no discernible benefit as a HHonors guest and for cash one certainly has a lot of other options (with chains or independents) that represent better value for money in this city IMO.

However, in the interest of full disclosure: I much prefer the understated luxury of the Conrad brand or even a good full service Hilton over the WA brand so am obviously not the normal 'target' group for this brand or hotel and don't value the rather more obvious 'bling' on offer here or the 'see and be seen' mentality, for those that do, this will be an excellent hotel to have these things and flash your cash.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I stayed earlier this year and did get an upgrade - from room without view to room with view.
I liked the room and the view very much.
I also received a drink voucher.
The internet in the room wasn't working and the staff at reception claimed it must be my phone - don't think so as my son also couldn't connect.
I found the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room an irritant. I need my cup of tea first thing in the morning and I don't enjoy waiting untill breakfast.

Given that the alternative in Rome itself is a Garden Inn (which was fine and very cheap), I might stay there again but would prefer a more reasonably priced Hilton with a lounge.

Last edited by helosc; Dec 13, 2015 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by BotB
However, in the interest of full disclosure: I much prefer the understated luxury of the Conrad brand or even a good full service Hilton over the WA brand so am obviously not the normal 'target' group for this brand or hotel and don't value the rather more obvious 'bling' on offer here or the 'see and be seen' mentality, for those that do, this will be an excellent hotel to have these things and flash your cash.
I absolutely like the Cavalieri and its interpretation of luxury, the breathtaking views, the location as a real relaxing oasis beside the vibrant city.

However I am a fan of the Conrad luxury definition (First "Hilton" I ever stayed at was Conrad Bangkok) and missing this Hilton segment in Europe, and/or "light luxury" full service Hiltons like Hilton Berlin or Molino Stucky Venice in major European cities.

So in Rome at least there is, IMHO, between the midscale Hilton Garden Inn and the luxury W=A, demand for a centrally located Conrad, Hilton, or if this fits better in the company´s strategy, a new member of Curio Collection.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by helosc
I stayed earlier this year and did get an upgrade - from room without view to room with view.
I liked the room and the view very much.
I also received a drink voucher.
The internet in the room wasn't working and the staff at reception claimed it must be my phone - don't think so as my son also couldn't connect.
I found the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room an irritant. I need my cup of tea first thing in the morning and I don't enjoy waiting untill breakfast.

Given that the alternative in Rome itself is a Garden Inn (which was fine and very cheap), I might stay there again but would prefer a more reasonably priced Hilton with a lounge.
I did get the impression that gold/diamond members do get upgraded from basic rooms to the room I had which would be quite nice indeed, just wish they would also upgrade to imperial from the room I had.

I can certainly agree that the room and view were excellent. ^

Oops, thanks for mentioning the drink voucher, I did indeed also get this and used it for a nice glass of red wine with my meal in the bar. ^ (So, I did get some benefit as a HHonors member over a blue member)

I didn't have any issues with the internet but I only used it lightly so wasn't stressing it at all.

Tea/Coffee: agree with you, nice to have for late evening or early morning...

If I didn't want to use cash, then I guess I would consider the HGI or here for a night in Rome but I think I would resort to cash personally as it opens up a lot of other locations and options in this great city.

Originally Posted by submonte
I absolutely like the Cavalieri and its interpretation of luxury, the breathtaking views, the location as a real relaxing oasis beside the vibrant city.

However I am a fan of the Conrad luxury definition (First "Hilton" I ever stayed at was Conrad Bangkok) and missing this Hilton segment in Europe, and/or "light luxury" full service Hiltons like Hilton Berlin or Molino Stucky Venice in major European cities.

So in Rome at least there is, IMHO, between the midscale Hilton Garden Inn and the luxury W=A, demand for a centrally located Conrad, Hilton, or if this fits better in the company´s strategy, a new member of Curio Collection.
Agree with your comments and hope we'll see another Hilton chain offering in the city centre here sometime in the future, a Curio would fit well and would likely be easiest to introduce here. ^

I should also mention that the Spa was free to use for diamonds which would have been a great benefit for my wife but naturally wasn't with me this trip to enjoy it

The artwork throughout the hotel was also quite nice and great to see in a chain hotel ^ , you could take a guided tour (or audio tour, I can't remember which) to hear about the history of it all. I did walk around the hotel a bit to look at some of it and that was enjoyable.

I also very much liked the stairs from the main floor down to the restaurant and pool area, the design was modern and playful, similar to the stair in the Stockholm hotel but less 'dizzying' somehow than Stockholm.

Appreciate that the above posts were not necessarily in response to my posts but I hope they don't mind me adding some corrections or agreement to the things they said (or my mistakes!)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:59 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by BotB
I should also mention that the Spa was free to use for diamonds which would have been a great benefit for my wife but naturally wasn't with me this trip to enjoy it

The artwork throughout the hotel was also quite nice and great to see in a chain hotel ^ , you could take a guided tour (or audio tour, I can't remember which) to hear about the history of it all. I did walk around the hotel a bit to look at some of it and that was enjoyable.
It is good to hear that Spa is still HH elite benefit. Our whole family enjoyed it quite a bit when we stayed there two years ago. And my wife like the audio tour of the art collection/hotel history.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Newer posts for this ARCHIVE THREAD can be found in the

OPEN THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.