Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
PS: I'm super impressed that the resort lets the staff enjoy the beauty of Rangali on their off days. A lot of other resorts don't allow this but the Conrad does. They treat their staff really well and it shows; the result is they love their jobs and you as a guest get a better experience. A testament to the fact that it always pays to be forward thinking in business...
I wholeheartedly agree. We were opposite the football field and they were playing football in the late afternoon around 5:30 till just before sunset. You can hear them if you are in the villas directly opposite. There are complaints about this on TripAdvisor but really, I think they work hard and they deserve a break. We looked at this as if it were just some other tourists playing beach volleyball and were having a great time. Actually I was quite happy for them as I've known a few people who are in the service industry and I know that it's not easy bending over backwards to satisfy every single customer and for the management to use the space on the island for them to let off steam and have a good time is fantastic! ^
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Jonjparr - sounds like you and your wife are having a dream holiday ^

BA CW is great, isn't it? We sat in the same seats as you - 1EF. I found the crew brilliant also.

I'm getting hungry now thinking about Sunset Grill! Mmmm. Definitely was our fav restaurant on the island.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr
I can only apologise to the manager of Sunset for keeping Yasir (Rona) talking for 40 minutes but it's lovely to get to know the staff. Life in the Maldives fascinates me and getting it firsthand from a Maldivian is brill.

Yesterday was spent soaking up the sun (feeling that now despite the factor 50+) on our deck reading our Kindles and in the afternoon at the main pool.

Just time just for a quick shower at the Conrad lounge, a change of clothes and a drink before we boarded the seaplane. Super efficient from start to finish.
Nice to hear from you! Was wondering over the weekend how it was going. Me and my partner are just like you....we will be talking the staff ear off.

Also good to know about the 50+ SPF still doesn't quite cut it. My german/irish skin prefer's 50 to 100 (which I can only buy in Florida). I'll have to warn the other half that prefer's 30 or below.

I'm hoping to grab a shower in the Conrad lounge too. I bet it feels wonderful after a long flight.

Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about the next villa!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by some dude
Outbound: (United Economy, cash, no status) FLL - IAH, (Singapore Business Saver Award) IAH - DME - SIN - <16 hour stop, will check out Singapore> - MLE
<Conrad Maldives for 16 nights>
(Emirates Business, cash) MLE-CMB
<Hilton Colombo for 2 nights>
(Singapore Business, Saver Award) CMB-SIN-<16 hour stop, will check out Singapore>-HKG-SFO-<overnight stay at Doubletree SFO>-(Delta Economy, Cash, hoping for upgrade)SFO-ATL-FLL
Wow.....that is one nice trip! No wonder your going to stay at CM for 16 days. I was happy about only getting 8 days. Mine don't seem as bad now. On our way back from CM we are Male-Singapore-S. Korea-Chicago-Cleveland
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by BavarianHerz
Nice to hear from you! Was wondering over the weekend how it was going. Me and my partner are just like you....we will be talking the staff ear off.

Also good to know about the 50+ SPF still doesn't quite cut it. My german/irish skin prefer's 50 to 100 (which I can only buy in Florida). I'll have to warn the other half that prefer's 30 or below.

I'm hoping to grab a shower in the Conrad lounge too. I bet it feels wonderful after a long flight.

Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about the next villa!
Regarding SPF50, I found it completely adequate. I would be very pale and wore SPF50 and didn't burn, but then again I don't sunbathe for hours on end, but when I was out snorkelling, etc I was fine with 50. Personally, I think anything below 30 is a bad idea because the sun is HOT in the Maldives. So I would suggest that your other half wears 50 at least during the midday sun and if they like, drop down to 30 in late afternoon. Otherwise they may be like a shiny red lobster at the end of the day!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
16 days..... I don't know if I could stay at the same place for that long...

especially since it is a very pricey location for food & things to do ...
Yeah, all that was considered. I've never done a trip like this before, usually the goal of my trip is to explore/do things (last trip was 2 weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii, doing lots of hiking, off roading, etc). As much as I enjoyed that trip (and I did enjoy it a lot), I felt like I needed a vacation from the vacation from all of the action.

With the (work) stress load I've had for the last couple of years, I have very little desire for an action-packed trip, and a few weeks of just pure unwind seems like it is the best way to spend it.

Also, this trip is a honeymoon, so the goal is to spend a bit more time occupied in other ways.

Yes the food/excursions are pricey, but I figure with the total cost of airfare and lodging near zero thanks to awards, the budget for excursions can be somewhat liberal.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Regarding SPF50, I found it completely adequate. I would be very pale and wore SPF50 and didn't burn, but then again I don't sunbathe for hours on end, but when I was out snorkelling, etc I was fine with 50. Personally, I think anything below 30 is a bad idea because the sun is HOT in the Maldives. So I would suggest that your other half wears 50 at least during the midday sun and if they like, drop down to 30 in late afternoon. Otherwise they may be like a shiny red lobster at the end of the day!
Ah Thanks! I'm glad, cause I have all my SFP purchased already. After having gone through skin cancer already at 42, I'm now a completely out of the sun person...still SFP'd up! However, I love my beach/relax vacations.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by BavarianHerz
Ah Thanks! I'm glad, cause I have all my SFP purchased already. After having gone through skin cancer already at 42, I'm now a completely out of the sun person...still SFP'd up! However, I love my beach/relax vacations.
Wow, sorry to hear you've gone through skin cancer Glad to hear you are ok now ^

So long as you have factor 50 and do the usual recommendations: wear a hat, cover up, wear a rash vest while snorkelling, stay in the shade, etc. I found the sun over there so hot but then again you are at the Equator. They say it's 29/30 degrees but it feels way hotter than that in my opinion, a some of the staff said the same. Maybe you are best buying a couple of higher SPF bottles to be on the safe side though given what you've been through ...

I wouldn't be a sun worshipper myself so I just put myself under an umbrella with the Kindle and I'd have tons of factor 50 rubbed on. Mr Pineapple always is amused at the amount of suncream I put on because I do go a little OTT but I'd rather put on a little too much than put on too little and get burned! And I love beach / relax vacations too, even if I'm in the shade all day!

When do you depart for paradise?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by some dude
Yeah, all that was considered. I've never done a trip like this before, usually the goal of my trip is to explore/do things (last trip was 2 weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii, doing lots of hiking, off roading, etc). As much as I enjoyed that trip (and I did enjoy it a lot), I felt like I needed a vacation from the vacation from all of the action.

With the (work) stress load I've had for the last couple of years, I have very little desire for an action-packed trip, and a few weeks of just pure unwind seems like it is the best way to spend it.

Also, this trip is a honeymoon, so the goal is to spend a bit more time occupied in other ways.

Yes the food/excursions are pricey, but I figure with the total cost of airfare and lodging near zero thanks to awards, the budget for excursions can be somewhat liberal.
The 16 days will be fantastic. I would've stayed there for a month if I could! And it's your honeymoon - no better excuse to splash out ^
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: A few
i just got back from park hyatt where we spent 6 days, three of which were grey/overcast/raining, and i was wearing factor 100, and still came back as red as a lobster

i think the problem is though i like to stand on the dhoni roof when doing the dive trips so even though i have f100 on the wind and direct exposure gets me and my white british skin so easily

16 days has me jealous. looking forward to our 7 here only 6 months away now, and finally a chance to compare with ph (where we are now up to 24 nights total)
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i just got back from park hyatt where we spent 6 days, three of which were grey/overcast/raining, and i was wearing factor 100, and still came back as red as a lobster

i think the problem is though i like to stand on the dhoni roof when doing the dive trips so even though i have f100 on the wind and direct exposure gets me and my white british skin so easily

16 days has me jealous. looking forward to our 7 here only 6 months away now, and finally a chance to compare with ph (where we are now up to 24 nights total)
Looking forward to hearing your views on how PH compares to CM!

And yes, I think the problem would be standing on the dhoni roof I have heard though that anything above factor 50 doesn't provide much additional protection - 100 isn't double the protection of 50.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:27 am

When do you depart for paradise?
I leave on Oct 31st, but don't get to CM until Nov. 6th. I think about it now, seemingly every 10 minutes. LOL

As for the skin cancer....it took a toll on me mentally. I lost about 1/4 of my ear and had to go through plastic surgery to repair. It's hard to tell I had anything done, but I have zero feeling in my right ear. Lesson learned.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Wow, sorry to hear you've gone through skin cancer Glad to hear you are ok now ^

So long as you have factor 50 and do the usual recommendations: wear a hat, cover up, wear a rash vest while snorkelling, stay in the shade, etc. I found the sun over there so hot but then again you are at the Equator. They say it's 29/30 degrees but it feels way hotter than that in my opinion, a some of the staff said the same. Maybe you are best buying a couple of higher SPF bottles to be on the safe side though given what you've been through ...

?
I echo the recommendation for a rash guard while snorkeling. After learning the hard way why a tree in St John is nicknamed the sunburned tourist tree (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shyzaboy/2710784790/) I use one every time I'm snorkeling. Some even have built in SPF called UPF.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
16 days..... I don't know if I could stay at the same place for that long...

especially since it is a very pricey location for food & things to do ...
If you can do it, then why not!?!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:36 am

Looking forward to hearing your views on how PH compares to CM!

And yes, I think the problem would be standing on the dhoni roof I have heard though that anything above factor 50 doesn't provide much additional protection - 100 isn't double the protection of 50.
I've heard that above spf 50 doesn't really make a difference:

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/high...re-they-better

The key is applying it early and reapplying it often, especially after any water activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.