Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Hotel: Conrad Bangkok (2 nights)
Premium Twin for 3 pax
Hilton rate per night: THB 7049.96++ (flex rate)
Competing rate: THB 6177.80++ (Trip.com)
Final Hilton BRG rate: THB 4633.35++ per night
Jaimito Cartero and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:38 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
More BS...

Attempted a BRG over the phone because it was a pre-paid rate. The agent asked me where I found the lower rate and I said go to Trivago first and click on the link to Agoda. The agent said he could not find my rate. I asked him what rate he sees on Trivago and then he answered that he went straight to Agoda, unlike what I instructed him to do. I was already aware that going straight to Agoda would not result in the lower rate. Then he goes on Trivago, clicks on Agoda, and he found a lower rate than Hilton.com but slightly higher than what I was seeing so he said he cannot approve the claim because he does not see the same rate as I do. I said it does not matter, the rate he sees is lower so the claim is valid, but he said I should submit online instead, which I refused to do because it is pre-paid. I asked him again what rate he saw on Trivago and he put me on hold for 10 minutes and then he gave me some rubbish rates which did not match mine, and higher than what he saw himself on the final page of Agoda. Then put me on hold once again, without saying why he had to put me on hold. He never came back on the line and the call was dropped. Total length of the call 30 minutes, and three different attempts on his part to deny the claim, all incorrect reasons, until he just hung up because he could not find a good reason.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:22 am

I called back to speak to a different agent. At the beginning of the call he asked for my phone number "in case we get disconnected" After I instructed him what hotel, dates, competitor website, etc. he put me on hold. Ten minutes later, call disconnected, and I never got a call back.

Call #3 : this time I was not asked my phone number at the beginning of the call. I gave the agent all the info, put on hold, and after 10 minutes call disconnected.

Call #4 : this time, call not disconnected. The latest excuse is that the lowest rate on hilton.com is "hilton honors sale" which is not the same as "advanced purchase" despite both being pre-paid rates, and according to this agent only "advanced purchase" can be eligible to a price match guarantee and that rate does not show up for my dates. So even though she could confirm the lower rate on the third party website, she could not approve the claim because it's a sale. She then tried to convince me to book at the higher rate on hilton.com by saying that if I book on agoda I would not receive Diamond benefits. I said I do not intend to book a higher rate on hilton.com when I can find cheaper on another website, and indeed I do not like booking on a third party website and not get elite benefits. So in this situation my best choice is to book my second preferred hotel which is in the Marriott hotel chain where I also have elite status. She said she understand and I thanked her for her help.

I am not going to call a 5th time, I think I was already quite persistent (probably too much) and spent over an hour in total... I need to take another break from Hilton BRG and revaluate in a few months if they improve their claim handling, but at the moment it just does not work for me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
HGI Buckhead Atlanta

3 nights

Hilton - $96
Trip.com - $93

Rejected because of "Currency Conversion"

What? How do you convert USD to USD? Hilton is really pulling rejection reasons out of a hat.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by buttking
HGI Buckhead Atlanta

3 nights

Hilton - $96
Trip.com - $93

Rejected because of "Currency Conversion"

What? How do you convert USD to USD? Hilton is really pulling rejection reasons out of a hat.
Argue this one. Demand an explanation.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by escape4
I called back to speak to a different agent. At the beginning of the call he asked for my phone number "in case we get disconnected" After I instructed him what hotel, dates, competitor website, etc. he put me on hold. Ten minutes later, call disconnected, and I never got a call back.

Call #3 : this time I was not asked my phone number at the beginning of the call. I gave the agent all the info, put on hold, and after 10 minutes call disconnected.

Call #4 : this time, call not disconnected. The latest excuse is that the lowest rate on hilton.com is "hilton honors sale" which is not the same as "advanced purchase" despite both being pre-paid rates, and according to this agent only "advanced purchase" can be eligible to a price match guarantee and that rate does not show up for my dates. So even though she could confirm the lower rate on the third party website, she could not approve the claim because it's a sale. She then tried to convince me to book at the higher rate on hilton.com by saying that if I book on agoda I would not receive Diamond benefits. I said I do not intend to book a higher rate on hilton.com when I can find cheaper on another website, and indeed I do not like booking on a third party website and not get elite benefits. So in this situation my best choice is to book my second preferred hotel which is in the Marriott hotel chain where I also have elite status. She said she understand and I thanked her for her help.

I am not going to call a 5th time, I think I was already quite persistent (probably too much) and spent over an hour in total... I need to take another break from Hilton BRG and revaluate in a few months if they improve their claim handling, but at the moment it just does not work for me.
Really awful. You received some of the worst explanations ever. I hadn't heard the "yes, they're both advance purchase rates, but Hilton's is called a sale, so they're not identical" excuse before.

Eventually we'll probably have to file an FTC complaint on these hotel companies.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4

I need to take another break from Hilton BRG and revaluate in a few months if they improve their claim handling, but at the moment it just does not work for me.
Luckily Hilton have trashed so many elements of Honors that I don't mind at all remaining on my "Hilton BRG break"

If and when that changes, I might return to firing off a 5-minute flex or semi-flex claim, but spending hours on the phone... no thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Really awful. You received some of the worst explanations ever. I hadn't heard the "yes, they're both advance purchase rates, but Hilton's is called a sale, so they're not identical" excuse before.
Are you still successful on all your BRGs or have you hit a wall? A while back in this thread you wrote that you had several consecutive ones approved like I used to have.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Luckily Hilton have trashed so many elements of Honors that I don't mind at all remaining on my "Hilton BRG break"

If and when that changes, I might return to firing off a 5-minute flex or semi-flex claim, but spending hours on the phone... no thanks!
Correct, that combined with the points devaluation means I have less need or desire to reach 60 nights, anyway I have Diamond via credit card so I think I will book at Hilton in some cities where it makes sense and still enjoy Diamond benefits, but if there are half decent alternatives with Hyatt and Marriott then I think some strong points of Hilton are fading, unfortunately. There were a number of times that I viewed a Hilton or a Marriott pretty equal in one city, and picked Hilton because of BRG and/or more generous points including promos. But if those are gone, then competitors become more attractive relatively speaking.

And I am always a step behind you in your thought process, but I am getting there. No more BRG on the phone for me, I can try quick online flex claim and see where it goes, but phone is finished!

Oh and by the way, yesterday after the 4th call the lady offered me to listen to a Hilton Grand Vacations Club sales pitch, I told her politely that given the nature of our call (and the three calls prior to that) she did not pick the best day for me to have the mood to listen to this from Hilton
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:24 pm

I decided to give the Hilton BRG a go after spotting a significantly less expensive rate for the Hilton Brussels Grand Place on Trip.com. The rate I was seeing using Chrome on my Mac, and cloaked to the US from my Canadian location, was €154 vs. €170, after taxes and fees. I called the Diamond desk, and a pleasant agent tried in vain to replicate the €154 rate I was seeing. She logged in and out of her system a number of times to refresh results and clear cookies. The rate she was seeing on Trip.com was higher than the Hilton rate. When she asked me if I was using an app on my phone to get the lower price, it dawned on me to log into my Windows based desktop, and see what rate it would show. Both the Hilton rep and I were using Chrome. Sure enough, the same higher rate she was quoting from Trip.com appeared on my Windows based platform. She apologized, saying that she would have to be able to take a screenshot of the competitor's lower rate from her computer to successfully process the BRG claim. Trip.com had numerous rates for exactly the same room types that Hilton displayed. Unfortunately, their cancellation policies were not the same, so I had to concentrate on non-refundable rates only. I thanked her, and decided to do further research using my Windows desktop.

Fast forward a day, and I was able to match exact room types on a non-refundable rate of €169 on Trip.com vs. Hilton's €194 by tweaking my dates. The agent I spoke with on my second attempt wasn't as well versed in the BRG program, but after consulting with her supervisor and verifying the validity of the rate, she was able to successfully process the BRG with a rate of €126.75.

Moral of the story is that there are some factors of which we are not aware that may result in a rejection. I wouldn't have thought using my Mac would yield different results, especially as we were all using Chrome. Of course, this doesn't mitigate the fact that there have been rejections for superfluous reasons, but I was satisfied with how both Diamond desk agents handled my claim.

BTW, a number of Expedia and its subsidiary OTA's showed lower rates as well, but did not specify a single room type, lumping 1 King or 2 twins into the same room listings. From what I have read, it requires persistence to get all details to match, the most difficult being the cancellation policy.
Cat88L3, RafKa and strickerj like this.

Last edited by flyme2; Jul 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The odd thing is that the urban legend says that Macs are supposed to give higher prices, based on the assumption that paying more for tech gadgets is a sign of higher spending power.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:57 pm

Are you still successful on all your BRGs or have you hit a wall? A while back in this thread you wrote that you had several consecutive ones approved like I used to have.
I haven't had an opportunity to do one since I booked that Hampton Inn in Chicago for around $63. I've had a couple of unsuccessful ones with Hyatt and Marriott, though. The Marriott one failed because Marriott is so slow; the Priceline rate was good for only a few hours. I didn't expect that one to work. Hyatt was, "Sorry, if we can't find it ourselves, you can forget it." This, despite the fact that they ask you for a screenshot with the form. I was unable to wear them down. It looks like this is the way Hilton is going. These are really becoming false advertising, which is why I'm thinking it may take an FTC complaint to get them to live up to their obligations.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
After 8 hilton BRG claim, 2 Starwood/Marriott claim and 1 Hyatt claim
i can conclude that Hyatt is the hardest
and I only manage to get my claim honoured due to my persistence and constant follow up within the 24 hour period
Marriott/Starwood was ok once I got a flex booking matched against Expedia non refundable booking
hilton on the other hand can be hard if you cant prove that the room type and cancellation policy differs
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teo1991

i can conclude that Hyatt is the hardest
Hardest is competely relative. It's fairer to say that each has its quirks.

Hyatt is a 100% guaranteed slam dunk if you follow their rules exactly and know what will and won't be approved. The other two chains have such incompetent agents that perfectly valid claims will often be rejected (or your phone call will magically disconnect). I also see far more manipulation of cancellation policies, etc. with Hilton.

About the only thing really to be said definitively about BRG policies is RIP SPG...
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by teo1991
hilton on the other hand can be hard if you cant prove that the room type and cancellation policy differs

you are correct, but we should not imply from your quote that if you can prove that the room type and cancellation policy are the same, that it is not hard. i think my recent phone calls prove the opposite. they will decline without any valid reason, even when room types match and when you attempt pre-paid rates. it was not always like that however, at least for me Hilton BRG was relatively smooth a few months ago until I hit the wall.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:28 am

My "Hilton BRG break" did not last as long as expected. There is one specific Hilton I wanted to book and my dates are fixed and not far in the future, so I did not mind booking pre-paid particularly given the large price difference between flexible and pre-paid. I found a third party website which was 3% cheaper. If the third party had been 15%+ cheaper I would probably not risk a pre-paid Hilton BRG and be stuck with the higher rate when they decline for bogus reasons, but for only 3% higher I did not mind since I get the Diamond benefits when avoiding the third party website. I suspected that my BRG would be declined but in any event this is the hotel I wanted to book and the price was acceptable to me, plus attempting the BRG online would only take 5 minutes of my time. Well to my great surprise, the BRG was approved! This breaks my long string of Hilton BRG failures. ^
craigthemif likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.