Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Schwann

Just cancel, if you can, and make a new reservation. It’s a lottery to get a competent agent.
2 out of 4 times, I had to argue with them. Each incident took 2 more responses from me: I gave the initial rejection a counterargument with documentation, and gave the second rejection a counterargument with additional documentation. Worked both times. It IS possible to wear them down. Plus, when you respond to the first rejection, you never hear back from the original agent who rejected you. It's somebody new. So really no need to start over.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
After the 1st rejection,the claim was followed up by another agent who asked for more details and screenshot.No replies yet since this morning
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:13 am

Finally got a reply and it’s approved!
Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn KL Jalan TAR South
Dates: Jan 19
Room type: Single room with breakfast
Original hilton.com rate: RM198 (include tax)
Competing rate: RM190.81
Actual confirmed rate: RM143(include tax)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:20 am

I certainly hope I don’t get blacklisted by Hilton lol
another successful PMG claim
Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn KL Jalan TAR North
Dates: sometime end of Jan 19
Room type: Queen room with breakfast
Original hilton.com rate: RM195 (include tax)
Competing rate: RM185.36 (including tax)
Actual confirmed rate: RM111++ (as the rate verified by Hilton agent is RM143++)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by teo1991
I certainly hope I don’t get blacklisted by Hilton lol
another successful PMG claim
Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn KL Jalan TAR North
Dates: sometime end of Jan 19
Room type: Queen room with breakfast
Original hilton.com rate: RM195 (include tax)
Competing rate: RM185.36 (including tax)
Actual confirmed rate: RM111++ (as the rate verified by Hilton agent is RM143++)
which 3rd party website did you use ?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by wantan
which 3rd party website did you use ?
agoda
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MP 1MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Globalist
Just had a very quick and easy experience with Hilton BRG. I booked 5 nights in LA at Hilton.com and immediately called to get price match for lower rate I found on Priceline. Agent saw lower rate on Priceline, booked new reservation at lower rate (plus BRG discount) and cancelled previous reservation. Total process took about 5 min.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Seeing these latest success stories gives me hope with these guarantees. I tried to price match for the Conrad Fort Lauderdale in Oct 2018 and herding a group of cats would have been much easier. I had my claim rejected 3 different times.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by juliana16
A quick thank you to all that have provided details on their experiences, it has really been helpful as I look to understand the BRG process better.

Unfortunately, I had an awful experience with Hilton two days ago with a total of 6 phone calls made over almost a three hour period to their BRG team. Mysteriously, I kept being placed on hold when the agent went to "verify" or "investigate" the competitor rate further and each time, the line cut out. After about the third phone call, I noted to the agents that my calls were being cut out and should this happen, I would appreciate if the agent called me back on my nominated number. This never happened.

To be honest, I know that the team is trained to reject claims, but this is beyond ridiculous. Over email, they continue to reject the claim and somehow make out that my booking.com reservation is a price that is NOT consistent with my booking.com reservation. I tweeted Hilton, no response and have just received a response via Messenger from Hilton so hopefully this will assist.
This was my experience too:

Call 1 - was just trying to add my HHonors number to an existing reservation; was told I couldn’t, but that I could rebook direct using Hilton’s Price Match Guarantee. OK, sure, sounds great - let’s go ahead and match the price, then. After 20-25 minutes of struggling mightily to verify all the details, the agent put me on hold and then hung up on me.
Call 2 - Agent rejected the price match because the OTA I was using (trip.com) was charging a different amount of deposit at booking. (This is picky, but an actual difference in terms, so fine.)
Call 3 - Found another rate with identical terms at Priceline.com, so tried again. Agent 1 transferred me to Agent 2, who transferred me to the hotel front desk, who was very confused and transferred me to his manager, who had never heard of the Price Match Guarantee at all. After explaining it to him, we exchanged information and he redirected me back to the call center, but offered to help if I couldn’t get the national agents to help.
Call 4 - Agent collects info, starts researching, puts me on hold and hangs up on me.
Call 5 - denies my claim because the lowest rate from the hotel is a promotional rate, even though it is higher than the OTA’s regular rate (?!) She claims that promotional rates from Hilton are not eligible to be matched, but can’t point me at the language in their policy stating that is true - instead, she started shouting at me. Decided to HUCA rather than escalating. (I’m by no means a confrontational person on the phone, mind you!)
Call 6 - started researching, on hold, hung up.
Call 7 - started researching, on hold, hung up.
Call 8 - started researching. I interrupted before she placed me on hold and asked to exchange contact information in case I got disconnected. “Sure! Wait, sorry, my computer just froze, I can’t do anything until I restart, sorry, call back later and speak with another agent.” “Can you transfer me to another agent with a working system?” “No.” “Can I wait on hold while you restart your system?” “No, there’s is nothing I can do.” “OK, can I call back then?” ... and she gives me the hotel’s front desk number. Gee, thanks. We’ve been down that path before...
Call 9 - I immediately demanded to speak with a supervisor. I explained I keep getting hung up on, and she said “there aren’t any technical issues in our call center right now”. “Uh, then what about the agent whose computer supposedly froze?” The supervisor kinda sighed, and then proceeded with processing the claim with minimal incident. She also denied the “promotional” rate, so I ended up matching a semi flex rate instead. Cost an extra $20 a night over what I had planned to book in the end, but it was still a dollar or two less per day than the original refundable OTA rate I’d booked. I still think the other rate should have been eligible, but by this point I was tired of fighting.

Net time invested - three hours on the phone to save a total of $20 and get free breakfast benefits. This better be the best dang continental breakfast I’ve ever had.

Long story short, Hilton has no intention of honoring this guarantee, and the way the reservations call center is operated is unprofessional and an embarrassment to the brand (and to the many conscientious hotel operators out there). Hanging up on a customer should never be allowed at all - but in this case it seems to be standard procedure. I have to believe some bogus metric is driving this, like a bonus they receive each time they deny a claim, a penalty for long call times, or a penalty for approving a claim.

If any HHonors reps are lurking here, I’d encourage you to fix this situation before it frustrates anyone else the way it has in my case. I’d be happy to provide names and call times via PM if necessary for you to research what went on here.

We’re usually Marriott folks, but ended up at this particular property for a work conference, and decided we’d extend the stay for a few days of relaxation on our own nickel without moving hotels and to give Hilton a try. All we wanted to do was add our loyalty number from our comped Amex status and dabble with a new chain for a while, and instead it turned into this colossal fiasco - just for trying to use a guarantee the agents suggested to us in the first place!

Last edited by BenA; Jan 15, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Some of these travel websites (I recently saw this on Agoda) charge your credit card a few days in advance of your stay, even though the cancellation policy is the same. Could it be this?

If you are still able to pull up the terms and conditions of your original booking, send them a screenshot. But it must be EXACTLY the same.
Just got hit with this same response. Same cancellation terms, but agoda charges your CC a few days before the cancellation date expires. Very odd stipulation.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:33 pm

1st booking as a HH Gold member!
Hotel: Doubletree by Hilton KL
Date:Feb 16
Room type: King deluxe room flex rate
Original hilton.com rate: RM 382 (include tax)
Competing rate: RM324.80 (include tax)
Actual confirmed rate: RM244 (include tax)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Exec. Plat., Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kged05
Just recently had my 4th and 5th success with BRG albeit with some issues...

March 27th-29th at Doubletree Amsterdam was cheaper through priceline.com. Filled out the online form and was rejected due to not being able to find the lower rate on priceline. Also, they listed the lowest price they saw and noted it in GBP. Seeing this issue, I replied to the email with screen shots and mention of the incorrect currency. I then called the Diamond desk and phone agent confirmed she saw the lower rate I was seeing and placed me on a brief hold before coming back and stating she was able to get the rate approved. Shortly after the call, I got a reply from the BRG stating after re-reviewing it was approved with the new correct nightly rate.

March 31st- April 3rd at Hilton Amsterdam was cheaper through hotels.com Submitted BRG claim online and was approved. However, since I purchased a non-refundable rate, the hotel would have to refund the amount when we check in or check out. However, the amount they calculated to be refunded was incorrect. Refund rate they were claiming was roughly $80USD when the nightly rate difference was $30USD ($90USD for 3 nights) BEFORE the 25% off would be applied. So refund amount should have been $90USD + the 25% off nightly rate amount. Called the Diamond desk before replying to email and after 45 minutes of her trying to manually calculate the refund amount, she corrected the notes in my booking about the refund amount, however it was still an incorrect amount (she kept getting confused with the USD to EUR conversion). I politely accepted, hung up and called right back. Next phone agent had much more experience with BRG and in about 5 minutes had the correct amount calculated and updated my reservation notes with the correct amount for the hotel to refund me at check-in or check-out.

I apologize if that was hard to follow but I like providing thorough details for anyone else that may have similar issues.

UPDATE: Hilton Amsterdam charged a pre-pay rate different than what was on my initial non-refundable reservation. I contacted Diamond desk and kept getting nowhere with understanding what is going on being told so many different refund amounts to expect. So I contacted the hotel via email. They quickly responded saying they would look into and get back to me. This was Friday. Following Monday received a phone call directly from the hotel. They explained how they got to the pre-pay number they charged me (which still didn't make sense). But at least they acknowledged that I would get a refund of roughly $100 back at check-in. It still was not close to the amount I was expecting.

After thinking about it some more, I replied to the BRG email chain and laid out my whole experience and the "all over the place" answers I was getting from everyone. I then proceeded to attach screen shots of the Hotels.com rates and explained my understanding of the BRG rules and the step by step process I used to get to the expected refund of somewhere around $250 USD.

Received a reply from BRG saying they can't help me since it's a pre-paid non-refundable rate and that they would send a note to the hotel for them to review. So I essentially gave up. Then, out of nowhere, I received a credit on my HIlton Amex statement for $249.05 from HIlton Amsterdam! My persistence paid off. Never received a call or email from the hotel. Refund just appeared on my statement.

So it doesn't hurt to be persistent if you continue to battle with BRG. Hilton Amsterdam was great throughout this process. The Diamond Desk and BRG desk, not so much.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:51 am

Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Glad to report a success as follows:

Hotel: Hilton San Francisco Union Square
Dates: March 25-29, 2019
Room type: 2 Double beds
Original hilton.com rate: USD294 plus taxes prepaid
Competing rate: USD270 plus taxes
Actual confirmed rate: USD202.50 plus taxes prepaid

Phoned it in since this was a prepaid rate.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:46 am

Hotel: Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Dates: March 2019
Room Type: 2 Bedroom Deluxe Suite
Original hilton.com rate $281.36 plus tax and resort fee, prepaid (total $2107.99)
Competing rate: $261 plus tax and resort fee, prepaid (Priceline)

Sent in via web, received email less than 45 minutes later confirming that I would receive a refund of $587.68 since it was prepaid. Very happy compared to circles I've ran in with Marriott before.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:01 pm

Was looking at a prepaid + breakfast rate.

Arranged for bank concierge to call in to book. Basically Hilton call centres in Asia keep hanging up or claim that their system is down and cannot proceed. Asking one to call back later. Tried Europe call centre and was denied twice. The first time by claiming that the competing website currency is different from the hotel currency and thus not valid comparison. The 2nd claimed that you can only price match against their regular rate. Special rate (even those that are readily available when you search hilton website) are not eligible for price match.

Ended up decide to take the risk and just book and submit via the web. Managed to price match within 2 hours and charged to my card based on the lower rate.

Hilton should really review the quality of the call centres personals. Otherwise, they should separately set up a call centre dedicated for the price match.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.