Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
You all talk a great game, saying it has value but are unable to list one thing....NOT ONE. It is a heavy metal card that did nothing but take up space in my wallet. It has no magnetic strip or way to scan it. I have never been asked to produce it and if I am I can show a copy from the app on my phone.
Prove me wrong, list something it is useful for
Please post that comment where I said Lifetime Diamond was automatically posted. I said Diamond is notated on the reservation and that the times I have asked the front desk if they could see my LTD, they said yes. Big difference. Not sure what you are trying to get at on the "if you have to ask thing" but seems weak

oh and by the way, not one useful purpose of the actual metal card listed by you yet...shocking
Old May 15, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I don’t intend to take sides in the debate as to whether the LTD card is anything more than a DYKWIA accessory, however I am pleased to report two instances so far this year where brandishing the LTD card at check-in (one SE Asia, one Europe) has resulted in double, as opposed to single, room upgrades.

My major complaint about the metal card is that it quickly wears out the plastic sleeves in my Montblanc credit card holder.

Now that Mrs PtF also has her LTD card we’ll show both of them at check-in when we travel together and see what happens!
Hey Phil,
Thanks, now THAT is a quality answer to a reasonable question. I do not travel in Asia and rarely in Europe. If there is a benefit in those places to actually showing the card then thats great. I still think I could show them the card from my app on my phone without damaging my Montblanc cardholder but it is a true value that you posted. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Sorry but with that attitude? This is one of those things that really reflects more about you than us. Those of us that are LTD's know how the physical card helps in many situations, and perhaps you should question why in 611 or so posts on this thread about this subject going back several years, you are the only person to question the need for a physical card. Then again you also thought that LTD was automatically noted in ones reservation, which we all know it is NOT. Again, if you have to ask.................
This post is inaccurate; you would be well-served by confirming the accuracy of your claims before posting them as absolute facts. I am LTD, as is my wife. Several times in the past few months we have been greeted as LTD guests, as it is now noted at check-in in some versions of onQ. Not sure what you mean by “those of us that are LTD's know how the physical card helps”; we’ve never carried the card, are regularly upgraded, and would never pull a DYKWIA by showing the card. In fact, we’ve been amused by stories about “card pushers” shared by FD staff members at properties we stay at frequently; rest assured, this attitude can work against you. Your status is in your reservation and in your app in the remote case you ever need it; the actual card is a waste of metal IMO.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:11 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by smmrfld
This post is inaccurate; you would be well-served by confirming the accuracy of your claims before posting them as absolute facts. I am LTD, as is my wife. Several times in the past few months we have been greeted as LTD guests, as it is now noted at check-in in some versions of onQ. Not sure what you mean by “those of us that are LTD's know how the physical card helps”; we’ve never carried the card, are regularly upgraded, and would never pull a DYKWIA by showing the card. In fact, we’ve been amused by stories about “card pushers” shared by FD staff members at properties we stay at frequently; rest assured, this attitude can work against you. Your status is in your reservation and in your app in the remote case you ever need it; the actual card is a waste of metal IMO.
Good for you - I've yet to find the property that has the rare version of onQ that shows LTD at the 21 hotels where I've asked.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tomphot
Good for you - I've yet to find the property that has the rare version of onQ that shows LTD at the 21 hotels where I've asked.
The fact that you’ve asked if the FD can see your status at 21 different properties is, um...interesting.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:24 pm

The fact that you’ve asked if the FD can see your status at 21 different properties is, um...interesting.
Thanks, I'm a very interesting guy. As you have been so adamant in previous posts that LTD shows up on the screen, I decided to ask and find out for myself. In every case, I have ended up having great conversations with the staff and GMs. Several have invited me to see the screen and have shown me around the system including customer ranking and history of complaints and concerns. It was nice to see that since 1987, I've only had 4 issues I talked to the staff about when checking out. I think it's great that your experience has been so different, perhaps one day they will all be on the same system.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Love it. Great post
Old May 15, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you stated quite clearly, "Your reservation will notate your Lifetime Diamond Status " Not,"If you happen to note it in your reservation they will know", or, "If you happen to check into the less than 4% of properties that are primarily US domestic and with the latest version of OnQ", and now you say, "Diamond is notated on the reservation and that the times I have asked the front desk if they could see my LTD, they said yes"

This could only mean one of three things:
1) You have happened to only exclusively stay in the very few properties that have this system, and magically did so before this new system even existed in the few properties that it has been rolled out in.
2) You have made notes in your reservation each and every time that you have stayed at a Hilton that you are LTD - which is fine and what many do - but is NOT what you said.
3) You are just trying to make up an excuse for a specious claim that you made above that was inaccurate.

And back to the subject, if you have never stayed at a Hilton in Asia, rarely if ever, at a property in Europe, and I would guess from your attitude and postings probably very few in any other country anywhere else, then you have never really experienced a lot of the Hilton system, so can not really make judgements about what one can expect or not anywhere but in the United States? So again, if you have to ask..............

So, rather than act like you have had LTD since the beginning, as opposed to maybe a year, and instead of acting like you have any sustained experience using such LTD status outside of the US, or seemingly only in a half dozen destinations, and instead of constantly and repeatedly saying how terrible you think the Diamond program is overall for years, you did not act like a "know it all" and instead asked questions nicely and honestly and did not constantly challenge people, often from a position of seeming obtuse, then maybe you might get an informed answer. Instead you present your "facts" which are not based on any statistical relevance or seeming experience, and then challenge everyone else. BTW saying the equivalent of "No I don't believe you......prove it" is not polite nor right.

I can tell you this, since I have been LTD which was February 2015, I have stayed over 200 nights, in over 40 properties in over 18 countries. How does that compare to your sampling?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

And confirming the important part, the actual LTD status kicks in right away, right? So from March 2020, I won't have to worry about night qualifications any longer? Alternatively, if I miss Diamond next year, I can take a month or two lag in Diamond (expires end of Jan 2020, kicks back in once I hit LTD a month or two later?)
I don't think will be an issue as you have enough DIA history to qualify for the "freebie DIA " year they now offer for qualified HHonors members.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I don’t intend to take sides in the debate as to whether the LTD card is anything more than a DYKWIA accessory, however I am pleased to report two instances so far this year where brandishing the LTD card at check-in (one SE Asia, one Europe) has resulted in double, as opposed to single, room upgrades.

My major complaint about the metal card is that it quickly wears out the plastic sleeves in my Montblanc credit card holder.

Now that Mrs PtF also has her LTD card we’ll show both of them at check-in when we travel together and see what happens!
Triple upgrades, of course!
Old May 16, 2018, 6:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I was notified by email on March 22 I had achieved Lifetime Diamond Hilton Honors status. About ten days ago I was Ci ta Ted to verify my information. May 16 I received a large black box enclosing another black box with a tray.

The tray contained a certificate-looking welcome, and two black metal cards inscribed “Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond”, one for me and one for Lady JDiver, additionally inscribed with our names and Honors numbers. (We have a Mutual Fund Account, which allowed our accumulated points and stays to count for status, which is shared by both Mutual Fund Account owners - new Mutual Fund Accounts were eliminated years ago, but existing ones were grandfathered and some HGVC buyers could still get them morevrecentky.

The tray was pulled out and inside the bottom were a black covered luggage tag (made in USA by Shinola) and a box with a Bose wireless Soundsport ear phones for iPhone, iPad, etc.

I am certainly not complaining. I’ve stayed at a lot of Hilton properties over the years, held Diamond for a number of years and have been treated well at overseas Hilton properties, and reasonably at Hilton properties in the USA. In fact, it beats the heck out of my American Airlines Lifetime Platinum (third tier, no higher lifetime tier available) after flying on AA since the 1940s and holding Executive Platinum status seventeen years (Platinum for several years prior to that). What did I get for that? Two plastic baggage tags and the number of millions of miles I’ve earned over the years (5 million was the last million mile milepost).

Last edited by JDiver; May 16, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
So...I just called up Hilton and the CSR was able to confirm I've hit 1K qualifying nights and 10+ years of diamond. However, last year I only achieved gold for this year.

Is it true that I don't receive diamond status until next year's (I assume March) sweep unless I qualify as diamond through stays/nights this year? I wasn't expecting the goodies, but I was assuming my status would be bumped.

Somewhat of a bummer.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin
So...I just called up Hilton and the CSR was able to confirm I've hit 1K qualifying nights and 10+ years of diamond. However, last year I only achieved gold for this year.

Is it true that I don't receive diamond status until next year's (I assume March) sweep unless I qualify as diamond through stays/nights this year? I wasn't expecting the goodies, but I was assuming my status would be bumped.

Somewhat of a bummer.

Thanks!
IIRC, the status will show up on your account shortly after they notify you end of Decemberish
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tomphot
IIRC, the status will show up on your account shortly after they notify you end of Decemberish
Ah - so I just wait it out at my current status level.

I guess i'll focus on Starwood / Marriott for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I was notified by email on March 22 I had achieved Lifetime Diamond Hilton Honors status. About ten days ago I was Ci ta Ted to verify my information. May 16 I received a large black box enclosing another black box with a tray.

The tray contained a certificate-looking welcome, and two black metal cards inscribed “Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond”, one for me and one for Lady JDiver, additionally inscribed with our names and Honors numbers. (We have a Mutual Fund Account, which allowed our accumulated points and stays to count for status, which is shared by both Mutual Fund Account owners - new Mutual Fund Accounts were eliminated years ago, but existing ones were grandfathered and some HGVC buyers could still get them morevrecentky.

The tray was pulled out and inside the bottom were a black covered luggage tag (made in USA by Shinola) and a box with a Bose wireless Soundsport ear phones for iPhone, iPad, etc.

I am certainly not complaining. I’ve stayed at a lot of Hilton properties over the years, held Diamond for a number of years and have been treated well at overseas Hilton properties, and reasonably at Hilton properties in the USA. In fact, it beats the heck out of my American Airlines Lifetime Platinum (third tier, no higher lifetime tier available) after flying on AA since the 1940s and holding Executive Platinum status seventeen years (Platinum for several years prior to that). What did I get for that? Two plastic baggage tags and the number of millions of miles I’ve earned over the years (5 million was the last million mile milepost).
Since we're expats, haven't been back to U.S. to open the box yet (daughter said it has arrived), but wonder if the earphones only work with Apple products...we only have Android devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.