Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Lifetime Gold defeats my incentive to retain Gold year after year.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
Yes. Just like lifetime Diamond defeats any incentive to retain Diamond year after year.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Signing up for the Hhonors Surpass AmEx card gets one gold status while the account is in good order and the yearly $75 fee is paid. Granted, not lifetime, but a good value for the cost.

T2
Old May 11, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by loomis
Yes. Just like lifetime Diamond defeats any incentive to retain Diamond year after year.
It does, which is why some chains have been so reluctant to provide it.

The incentive is to stay at that chain because they're providing top-level benefits. They might only lose the mattress runs.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
How does it defeat anything? Lifetime Silver/Gold would be great as interim steps.
Would it really be helpful if they launch a LT Gold at 500 (Paid) nights with 5 years of Gold? I guess maybe but it s not going to be easy and those who get it would have gotten it anyways. If I average a night at the Hilton is ~USD 100, 500 paid nights is ~ USD 50,000 spent in Hilton properties.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by sethb
Lifetime Gold would give you something to reach for to keep some level of status once your traveling days are over. 1,000 nights is a lot. I obviously don't have the numbers but I'd guess even half that would hit a very small percentage of travelers while still being much more attainable as a goal.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Lifetime Gold would give you something to reach for to keep some level of status once your traveling days are over. 1,000 nights is a lot. I obviously don't have the numbers but I'd guess even half that would hit a very small percentage of travelers while still being much more attainable as a goal.
And I am guessing that HHonors would rather you get one of their affiliated CC for the Gold status whereby they get some fees from the CC. Pity where I live does not offer these cards like HHonors and SPG. Would have loved to get one of them for the status and points earning.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PayItForward
And I am guessing that HHonors would rather you get one of their affiliated CC for the Gold status whereby they get some fees from the CC.
And if Gold isn't worth $75/year, then you basically don't stay in Hiltons anyway. LT Diamond would likely get a lot of purchases moved off affiliated credit cards by people who have Diamond only by spending $40K/year. (But they mostly would be nowhere near LT Diamond in terms of nights anyway.)
Old May 16, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
As I recall, Diamond was once 50 nights (instead of current 60) until a few years ago; that would account for some of my disparity, if I'm recalling correctly.
It may have been before I got into the HH program in 2002? Since I joined it has always been 60 nights. Gold used to be 30 nights before raised to 40 during this same timeframe.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: 2MM, Lifetime E75K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Lifetime Diamond reflected in Profile

For the last 3 months when checking-in at various Hilton Hotels and chains, not one hotel has welcomed me as a Lifetime Diamond. The reason - because our profiles in North America do not reflect Lifetime status whereas on the other side of the pond they do (so I hear).

My question to the group - should LTD status be reflected in your profile vs. Diamond status?
808traveler likes this.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:18 am

You think the clerks would even catch the difference?

You're giving them a lot of credit for a relatively small nuance.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:28 am

Why is this an issue for you? Did you receive the benefits to which you were entitled as a Diamond? Lots of other travel-related stuff to worry about besides this, IMO, likely because my self-worth isn't all wrapped-up in how a FD agent greets me.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Why is this an issue for you? Did you receive the benefits to which you were entitled as a Diamond? Lots of other travel-related stuff to worry about besides this, IMO, likely because my self-worth isn't all wrapped-up in how a FD agent greets me.
Not an issue for me, but seeing LTD may be the difference in getting an upgrade. I can't remember the last time I received an upgrade - considering the amount I travel
Old May 22, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being LTD just means you don't have to worry about qualifying anymore. It does not entitle you to any extra benefits over regular diamond.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
It does not entitle you to any extra benefits over regular diamond.
But should it? If the hotel had only one upgrade available, who should get it? The LTD or Diamond member?

The reason I'm saying this is last week I showed my LTD upon check-in and was upgraded (can't remember the last time this happened). Just saying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.