Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
So, because you don't qualify, the lifetime Diamond award is a joke? I must be missing the punch line.

Seriously, what's wrong with Hilton designating the terms and rewarding those who have held top status for a significant period and demonstrated their "loyalty" by accumulating 1,000 nights?
What makes it a joke is that Hilton is requiring a third more nights than Marriott and double the number of nights that Starwood requires in order to obtain a status you can have perpetually by charging $40,000 a year to the Hilton credit card.

There's nothing wrong with Hilton designating the terms and rewarding whoever they want for whatever they want. I think the point is that it's hard to take Lifetime Diamond seriously as a value proposition. What they're offering is: "spend 500 more nights with us than what the competition requires and we'll give you something of equal value." It's hard to take that seriously, and so, from that standpoint, it is a joke.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My loyalty is being tested as a diamond by them trying to charge me for a workable speed wifi and every property this year telling me there would be a half day charge if I wanted a 4 p.m. check out and giving me a 1 to 2 p.m. max.

All the competition gives their highest tiers highest speed for free, and all but Marriott give a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout.

Then finding out other members are getting a 100K bonus that I'm not eligible for along with no more quarterly promos has me no longer going out of my way to stay with Hilton's
I think Hilton is missing a trick, personally. I would make the standards lower because the value they are giving to diamonds is not that great anyway. The extra 50% points are fairly meaningless. The costly or worthwhile breakfasts and lounges are few and far between.

I'd use it to cement a relationship rather than imperil it.

In fact, I think Hilton is creating an AmEx problem. There are only so many people who spend 1000 nights in a hotel in their lives. There are probably many more who spend 10 nights a year for 50 years.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I don't understand the point. Diamond is basically worthless. Maybe if Hilton would make it harder to achieve (e.g.100 nights a year), not give credit card holders an easy way to achieve it, and deliver some value to the members, I would care about this.

I check into a Hilton in NYC with a co-worker. I am a Diamond, they have no status. We both have basically the same room assigned (maybe mine is on a higher floor). We both get offered a suite upgrade for $50 a night additional. The only difference is access to the lounge, which isn't that great because it is so busy I can't even find a table.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
I got the 100,000 bonus pts but didn't realize so many others did not. I remember getting 80,000 Hhonors pts in the same program about 7 or 8 years ago. Anyone else rember
that?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
Been a Diamond for many years, really not much of a benefit, maybe a few upgrades per year, free (slow) internet, free water or maybe a beer sometimes, would like to see a higher tier to get some real benefits... Only reason I stay loyal to Hilton is I know where all my hotels are at and too busy to start researching other brands....
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is my view on it. I don't expect any extra benefits from having lifetime vs annual Diamond. What it means to me is that later when my travel patterns slow down I don't need to worry about qualifying anymore and will still get to enjoy the benefits.

And for you that say just have the credit card and spend $40K a year and you have the equivalent of lifetime, I think you would be in for a rude awakening when Hilton severs their tie to the CC and benefit. Look at Costco and the Amex card relationship. Been together since 1999 and as of March 31st, no more. So companies and CC do part ways and relying on a lifetime of benefits that way is not a smart thing.

The benefit of Diamond I like the most are all the extra points. I build them up and go on nice vacations to places I could never afford to pay cash for. Yes, there are devaluations but things like the recent 100K bonus seem to make up for at least some of the devaluation so I still get to take advantage of great vacations. And my wife appreciates all the nights I have to stay in lesser hotels to get those points so she can enjoy a beautiful resort at little to no cost.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
Here is my view on it. I don't expect any extra benefits from having lifetime vs annual Diamond. What it means to me is that later when my travel patterns slow down I don't need to worry about qualifying anymore and will still get to enjoy the benefits.

And for you that say just have the credit card and spend $40K a year and you have the equivalent of lifetime, I think you would be in for a rude awakening when Hilton severs their tie to the CC and benefit. Look at Costco and the Amex card relationship. Been together since 1999 and as of March 31st, no more. So companies and CC do part ways and relying on a lifetime of benefits that way is not a smart thing.

The benefit of Diamond I like the most are all the extra points. I build them up and go on nice vacations to places I could never afford to pay cash for. Yes, there are devaluations but things like the recent 100K bonus seem to make up for at least some of the devaluation so I still get to take advantage of great vacations. And my wife appreciates all the nights I have to stay in lesser hotels to get those points so she can enjoy a beautiful resort at little to no cost.
How rude will your awakening be, "later in Life" when Diamond is no longer the highest status
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My loyalty is being tested as a diamond by them trying to charge me for a workable speed wifi and every property this year telling me there would be a half day charge if I wanted a 4 p.m. check out and giving me a 1 to 2 p.m. max.

All the competition gives their highest tiers highest speed for free, and all but Marriott give a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout.

Then finding out other members are getting a 100K bonus that I'm not eligible for along with no more quarterly promos has me no longer going out of my way to stay with Hilton's
+1
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Diamond since about 1988. Whenever the new year begins, I'll be Silver or less. The 1000 night requirement seems fair and am happy for all who have crossed over that line. I gave up on this program many years ago and laugh at those that are disappointed for whatever reason for not having been crowned LT diamond. ROTFLMAO at those that didn't get the 100,000 point bonus they thought they deserved. It's been a sick program for years and you should have figured that out.

I'm fine with the hotels.....it's the program. Downside for me is missing the minor diamond benefits during stays. Downside for the hotels is that they are missing a program that will drive my stays in their direction.

Top tier with Hyatt and SPG. They run programs that do factor into a decision on where to stay.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:36 am

So what do Hyatt and SPG do that drive your stays.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Snapper, we live in different worlds. We equally enjoy Conrads. Unlike you, every hotel stay I do is out of my own pocket. Explaining why SPG and Hyatt programs would be my preference is a waste of time. Let others explain, the topic has been beaten to death.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snapper6768
How rude will your awakening be, "later in Life" when Diamond is no longer the highest status
I have no doubt things will change. Just look what happened at United Airlines and I went through that. Anyone who expects nothing to change is a fool. I have to fly and I have to stay in hotels and I have to rent cars. Might as well stay as loyal as can and reap something. I am also Platinum at Marriott (earned by staying) so with that and Diamond at Hilton (earned by staying) I am covered for the places I go and have Platinum with IHG through the CC so if no Hilton and no Marriott properties I can stay there and get something. And if I get anything late in life when my travels slow down all the better. Anything is better than nothing. And if you expect nothing and get something you win. I would expect all loyalty programs to go through drastic changes in the next 3-10 years.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I did the same - but are they giving you total nights or total Paid nights?
She said total nights toward the Lifetime Diamond status
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
Snapper, we live in different worlds. We equally enjoy Conrads. Unlike you, every hotel stay I do is out of my own pocket. Explaining why SPG and Hyatt programs would be my preference is a waste of time. Let others explain, the topic has been beaten to death.
All of my travel is out of my own pocket. Not sure what you are referring to
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
Wrong - I have 990 Total nights. Hilton cannot tell me how many Paid nights I have until they do research - they said 10 business days.
Don't tell me. During those ten business days, does someone at Hilton actually look at everything one has done, and then start counting, one, two, three, four...etc. to 990? What is they skip one? And I have a ton of "double stay" credits during promos too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.