Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Diamond Status Arrives at Hilton Honors — With Required Qualifications

Lifetime Diamond Status Arrives at Hilton Honors — With Required Qualifications

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 18, 11:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality.

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative View Post
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and Ill be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As were in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. Were here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. )

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, were always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, weve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and Im thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

Ill have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 16, 15, 3:06 am
cjd

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960 View Post
Are you sure that they gave you the number of paid nights and not total nights? I talked to two people at the Diamond Desk and a supervisor. They could give me total stays and total nights but not paid nights.

This is the email they sent: We have opened a file on your behalf regarding your request. You will be contacted within 10 business days. For your reference the file number is xxxxxxx.
Yes, the same happened to me. E-mail reply gave the total number of nights spent in Hiltons, but told I will get the number of paid nights in 10 business days. Strangely they didn't tell me how many years I had been Diamond, but just gave the exact dates I had been Diamond. With the Rolling Tier method of re-qualifying, not sure exactly how many year I have!
Old Feb 16, 15, 7:38 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
No it's not...and many of us have achieved Lifetime or are very close. Glad HH set the bar high.
Never going to make everyone happy. So what if "setting the bar high" was 1500 or even 2000 nights? And you were then 400-700 off. Your email would be about how poorly you were being treated for being "very close" to 1000 nights and not being valued.
Old Feb 16, 15, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by SADDE6 View Post
Of course, anyone who has achieved 1,000 nights or is close to it is going to say that this is where the bar should be set. If the bar had been set at 2,000 nights we'd be hearing from those with 2,000 nights saying how wonderful it was that Hilton set the bar high - and those with 1,000 nights would be complaining!

The real question is where should the bar be set? The answer to this is not going to be driven by what I or any other traveler thinks it should be. It is a business decision that will be made by Hilton for business reasons.

It's not hard to figure out why Starwood and Marriott are offering top-tier lifetime status at the 500-750 night range. According to Randy Peterson's Frequent Flyer Services analysis, the average business trip lasts 3.3 nights and the average business traveler takes 5.4 trips each year.

Doing the math, you can see that the average business traveler spends 17.82 nights per year. Over a 30 year career, this amounts to 534.6 nights. Over a 40 year career, this amounts to 712.8 nights. So what Starwood and Marriott have done is provide an incentive that is within the reach of the average business traveler. That's pretty smart.

I think Hilton will eventually be forced to lower its lifetime status requirements and/or introduce a Lifetime Gold benefit. Why? Because there is a strong business case that supports it. If you create an incentive that is attractive and attainable by the average customer, you will drive a ton of business to your company. Starwood was smarter than most and figured this out from the start of their lifetime status launch. Marriott was a bit slow, but they eventually figured it out as well. Perhaps someday Hilton will too.

Until then, I'll be spending most of my nights at Starwood and Marriott.
I agree with nearly everything you are saying. There is another angle they could be looking at too though. They may also look at it as travelers will reach lifetime status on Marriott or Hyatt and then not be as worried about staying there to maintain the status and be willing to jump to Hilton to work on status there. Just another angle they may be thinking in their screwed up minds
Old Feb 16, 15, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Of course, anyone who has achieved 1,000 nights or is close to it is going to say that this is where the bar should be set. If the bar had been set at 2,000 nights we'd be hearing from those with 2,000 nights saying how wonderful it was that Hilton set the bar high - and those with 1,000 nights would be complaining!

The real question is where should the bar be set? The answer to this is not going to be driven by what I or any other traveler thinks it should be. It is a business decision that will be made by Hilton for business reasons.

It's not hard to figure out why Starwood and Marriott are offering top-tier lifetime status at the 500-750 night range. According to Randy Peterson's Frequent Flyer Services analysis, the average business trip lasts 3.3 nights and the average business traveler takes 5.4 trips each year.

Doing the math, you can see that the average business traveler spends 17.82 nights per year. Over a 30 year career, this amounts to 534.6 nights. Over a 40 year career, this amounts to 712.8 nights. So what Starwood and Marriott have done is provide an incentive that is within the reach of the average business traveler. That's pretty smart.

I think Hilton will eventually be forced to lower its lifetime status requirements and/or introduce a Lifetime Gold benefit. Why? Because there is a strong business case that supports it. If you create an incentive that is attractive and attainable by the average customer, you will drive a ton of business to your company. Starwood was smarter than most and figured this out from the start of their lifetime status launch. Marriott was a bit slow, but they eventually figured it out as well. Perhaps someday Hilton will too.

Good post SADDE6!

Nevertheless kindly note that with 18 nights/year, even reducing the number of nights to obtain Lifetime status, you would not be Diamond, so you would not fulfil the 2nd requirement of the criteria.

Well, you could but by staying in very expensive properties or via c/c spending.
Old Feb 16, 15, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, WN CP
I have spoken to a couple of supervisors who have confirmed that the ONLY way to get your Paid number of nights is to have a case opened and to wait for the response.
I emailed the diamond desk and had the answer in about 10 minutes. She let me know how many paid vs reward nights that I have and how many years as diamond.
Old Feb 16, 15, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
I called in and I've been Diamond for 13+ years, but only have 490 total nights. Oh well.
Old Feb 16, 15, 5:15 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.9MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
I emailed the diamond desk and had the answer in about 10 minutes. She let me know how many paid vs reward nights that I have and how many years as diamond.
What email address did you use? My response was that they would let me know in 3 weeks
Old Feb 16, 15, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
What makes it a joke is that Hilton is requiring a third more nights than Marriott and double the number of nights that Starwood requires in order to obtain a status you can have perpetually by charging $40,000 a year to the Hilton credit card.

There's nothing wrong with Hilton designating the terms and rewarding whoever they want for whatever they want. I think the point is that it's hard to take Lifetime Diamond seriously as a value proposition. What they're offering is: "spend 500 more nights with us than what the competition requires and we'll give you something of equal value." It's hard to take that seriously, and so, from that standpoint, it is a joke.

Well stated. Hilton giving Diamond for $40K CC spend (too low) and then setting the lifetime Diamond bar so high is ridiculous.

I'm glad I made SPG Plat with 16 years Plat and >500 nights. I gave up on HH when they increased Diamond requirement from 28 to 30 stays and no indication of lifetime status.
Old Feb 16, 15, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
Originally Posted by Tomphot View Post
What email address did you use? My response was that they would let me know in 3 weeks
I'm definitely interested as well in the address. We received the total number of nights, which was over 1200, but need the number of paid. How far back do they go for number of years as diamond, we have been in the program for well over twenty years, with a few years off, but aren't totally positive how many years as diamond.
Old Feb 17, 15, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Calling will get you your TOTAL number of nights not your PAID number of nights. Many of the representatives that answer the phone do not understand the distinction between the two as there has never been a need to know PAID nights as qualifying for status has up to this point always been on Total nights.

I have spoken to a couple of supervisors who have confirmed that the ONLY way to get your Paid number of nights is to have a case opened and to wait for the response.
A case? Great, wait 4-6 weeks just to get an answer?

Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
You can write them most likely and get this info. But calling was fast and easy.
LL posted about this in his blog. I think I'm going to write in.
Old Feb 17, 15, 5:38 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, LH SEN, Hertz Presidents Circle
got a reply to my email within hours. been a diamond for 13 years (switzerland based, so no credit card 40k gold goodies...). >700 nights and >300 stays, still a long way to go. but i think it doesn't really matter since i qualify every year with stays, nights and base points....
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Well stated. Hilton giving Diamond for $40K CC spend (too low) and then setting the lifetime Diamond bar so high is ridiculous.

I'm glad I made SPG Plat with 16 years Plat and >500 nights. I gave up on HH when they increased Diamond requirement from 28 to 30 stays and no indication of lifetime status.
I am generally on the side of the HH member...BIG TIME, but you response makes us all look bad. $40k on spend is fairly low but still way more than what the average american take home a year.
Worse though is you say 28-30 stays is a huge deal...come one
Old Feb 17, 15, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by f900 View Post
got a reply to my email within hours. been a diamond for 13 years (switzerland based, so no credit card 40k gold goodies...). >700 nights and >300 stays, still a long way to go. but i think it doesn't really matter since i qualify every year with stays, nights and base points....
What email address did you use?
Old Feb 17, 15, 10:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, WN CP
I just used the regular diamond desk email. Nothing special. Here is the response that I got.

Hello XXXXX:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your HHonors account stats. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Our records indicate you have been at the Diamond level for HHonors X years of the X years you have been a member and you have recorded XXX total nights. Of the XXX nights, XXX were reward nights which do not count toward lifetime Diamond status. Your total number of eligible nights to date is XXX.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the Hilton Worldwide Service Center location nearest you.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html

Best regards,

XXXX X.
Diamond Coordinator
Customer Care Email Department
Hilton Reservations and Customer Care
www.hiltonworldwide.com
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:34 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, LH SEN, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
What email address did you use?
[email protected]