Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What is the point in asking for the lifetime data when there are no published criteria for lifetime status? Until the qualification criteria are published it is surely a waste of time?

My estimate of my own totals are 12 years as Diamond (most recent 2 years comped by BA), continuous but for approximately 1 week, circa 1.5M lifetime base points and circa 600 nights. Without knowing if this is in the right ballpark it is pointless firming up the actual number.
Curiosity for where you stand? One persons waste of time is anothers want to see the data.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: HHONORS DIAMOND;DELTA GOLD;WN CP and A List
I spoke to the diamond desk and they told me I have been diamond for 14 years with 650 stays and 825 nights. However, they had no idea if that qualified. Does anyone know what the requirement will be?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by royalmile
Does anyone know what the requirement will be?
If they did, it would be all over this place.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I spoke to the diamond desk and they told me I have been diamond for 14 years with 650 stays and 825 nights. However, they had no idea if that qualified. Does anyone know what the requirement will be?
Out of curiosity how many base points?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: HH D
What is the point in asking for the lifetime data when there are no published criteria for lifetime status? Until the qualification criteria are published it is surely a waste of time?
I couldn't agree more with you. Who ever said Diamond Forever is going to be based on old fashioned criteria? The HHonnorsGuard wrote it was going to be by postal mail invitation. I've only got about 250 stays and it looks like I'm going to be invited. So if I were Hilton I would make Diamond Forever a little more complicated like:

- Stay at least another 200 nights, no matter how many years you have been a diamond.
- At least 100 positive reviews / social media activities.
- Every negative social media activity will substract 5.
- You will have to stay at least 10 times in at least 5 of our brands.
- A recommendation by at least 30 front desk people for being a Hilton worthy nice person
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Sisosig
...So if I were Hilton I would make Diamond Forever a little more complicated like:

- A recommendation by at least 30 front desk people for being a Hilton worthy nice person
Not a bad idea, but maybe lower than 30? Seems high unless they are asking the FD for this feedback on every Diamond.

...So if I were Hilton I would make Diamond Forever a little more complicated like:

- Every negative social media activity will substract 5.
- You will have to stay at least 10 times in at least 5 of our brands.
You can't be serious with this first one, can you? If you complain because a property treated you poorly, FD employee was rude, room was in poor repair, etc, it damages your status with them?

I also dislike the 2nd one here. If you're staying at full-service hotels, why would they want you to stay at hampton inns for 10 times? They'd rather have you at the higher end/cost properties.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
...measured by the number of upgrades to preferred rooms gained. This must be suites, and not include the next-best available room from the room type booked, may also not be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not a bad idea, but maybe lower than 30? Seems high unless they are asking the FD for this feedback on every Diamond.

You can't be serious with this first one, can you? If you complain because a property treated you poorly, FD employee was rude, room was in poor repair, etc, it damages your status with them?

I also dislike the 2nd one here. If you're staying at full-service hotels, why would they want you to stay at hampton inns for 10 times? They'd rather have you at the higher end/cost properties.
Is Sisosig being serious with any of the suggestions?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Whatever the criteria the return for Hilton is from customers booking extra nights with Hilton to meet the criterai, it isn't a philanthropic gesture. I will hit over 100 nights with Starwood this year by changinf stays in nice IHG properties to a low end London Starwood just to qualify for lifetime Plat then I can stop chasing increasingly irrelevant status with SPG. This is the return Hilton is seeking, short term improvements in forward bookings and income.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Does anyone know what the requirement will be?
Statement from the HHonors rep that appears in the wiki at the top of this thread:
I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
A sense of irony...

bmifly
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
...measured by the number of upgrades to preferred rooms gained. This must be suites, and not include the next-best available room from the room type booked, may also not be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities.
Sounds acceptable. Would upgrades to Jr Suites count?

Last edited by Sisosig; Jan 16, 2015 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
As long as we're throwing out baseless hypotheses on what the criteria may be, how about FT usernames that start with H? Seems just as valid as some of the above?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Whatever the criteria the return for Hilton is from customers booking extra nights with Hilton to meet the criterai, it isn't a philanthropic gesture. I will hit over 100 nights with Starwood this year by changinf stays in nice IHG properties to a low end London Starwood just to qualify for lifetime Plat then I can stop chasing increasingly irrelevant status with SPG. This is the return Hilton is seeking, short term improvements in forward bookings and income.
I agree. After being made lifetime Plat at *Wood, I stopped staying there and dropped my Amex. Have shifted entirely to Hilton, largely because it is easier to find hotels in smaller markets (and I hate the aloft chain). If Hilton creates a Lifetime Diamond, a load of those folks will move to IHG as they won't have to stay at Hamptons to make their nut to get a nice stay at the Conrad.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
...how about FT usernames that start with H? Seems just as valid as some of the above?
I'm all for it.

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
If Hilton creates a Lifetime Diamond, a load of those folks will move to IHG as they won't have to stay at Hamptons to make their nut to get a nice stay at the Conrad.
Maybe, maybe not. There are a couple of factors that probably go into setting up an LT status.
  1. Matching your competitors. This is probably one of the primary drivers for Hilton going down this path. When it was only Marriott with an LT program, they probably didn't think it was a driver in stay patterns. But with Marriott plus Starwood and Hyatt with LT benefits, I suspect Hilton believes they could be losing business today. BTW, Marriott recently reduced their LT requirements (fairly substantially), and I'm guessing they did it to keep ahead of the curve on LT programs given their competitors are now adding this benefit.
  2. Short term. I'm guessing a bit, but I suspect that the hotel chains are thinking that LT programs will not only lure people to stay at their programs, but for the near term (i.e. next couple of years) get them to stay more at their hotels to achieve this new benefit. And they are probably banking on the fact that actually only a very few (i.e. very small percentage) will actually ever achieve it. So they can drive up short and near-term business without actually having many actually receive that benefit.

Yes, out of that very small percentage, there may be some that will jump ship, but see the next bullet below.

3. Long term. Part of having an LT program at all is the fact that should a few jump ship in the short term, what will their long term stay patterns be? At some point their travel will be such that they either can't maintain the elite status in the other programs, or they again desire benefits they see in other programs. Given they have an LT elite status, they may well end up coming right back as they know this program and they have the LT Diamond.

Don't get blinded by the fact that a higher percentage of folks in the Hilton forum on FT might actually achieve LT status versus the general population staying at Hiltons. The vast majority of those millions will never be able to achieve LT status with any program, but if a program can "hook" them for a couple of years with the lure of LT status? Well, that's just extra revenue for the hotels and Hilton.

*Note that I've had LT Plat status with Marriott for years and am just a few nights short of LT Gold with SPG. But I've had most of my stays with Hilton over the last few years. So I do understand the lure of jumping somewhere else once you have that LT status. But I doubt I'm anywhere close to the norm for most members of Hilton's elite program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.