Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and Ill be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As were in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. Were here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, were always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, weve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and Im thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

Ill have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by hotscot
Still a free breakfast.
The previous commenter...' breakfast isn’t even free anymore'.
Clarification - Still a free breakfast at locations where breakfast was free FOR EVERYONE (e.g. Embassy Suites, Hampton). For US locations where the breakfast was included as a benefit of Gold or Diamond status, breakfast is now not free and subject to the F&B credit that does not remotely cover the cost of breakfast in most locations. So far this canker is limited to the US, and I for one sure hope it goes away at the end of this year, when the 'trial' is supposed to end. Color me skeptical that this will go away. I've been very vocal with managers, front desk staff and anyone in the management chain who will listen about my displeasure with this 'enhancement'.
BlueZebra and KenTarmac like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
It is at the level of all the points you earn eg 6 per dollar spent for restaurants and gas, 12 for Hilton stays, 3 all else. You still need 10 years as Diamond for LT but this is a great way to pump up the LT spend requirement.
Wow. Pretty crazy.

I'm at 8 years Diamond now, but only about 400 stays. Points around 1.5M (tended to stay in higher-end properties mostly) - so I guess I'll move a lot of my spending to the Hilton card going forward and see where that gets me.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
840,000 base points. (Need 2 million?)
More than 10 years Diamond. I have.
800, or so, paid and reward nights. I think I need a 1000.

I don't know....I do love Hampton breakfasts...toasted sausage sandwiches with hot sauce...yum.

Any easier ways to get this?

All my spend goes on a Sapphire Reserve. Every month.
Yes, you need 10 years Diamond, which you have.

And you need 2 million points OR 1,000 nights.

Either points or nights, NOT both.

You have about 840,000 points and 800 nights.

That means you need about 1,160,000 more points or 200 more nights.

Unless you have some crazy amount of expenses planned for 2022, I would disregard the incentive to spend inordinate sums on your Hilton AmEx.

200 nights sounds much easier. If you can make it within five years to a decade, it will be worth it. Keep on going! 🌴 🎶 💚

We shouldn't need to make a special call for this information! 😮

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...tatistics.html

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Nov 6, 2021 at 4:16 am
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
At the CVG DT, As I was saying, $12 voucher and these are the prices. W. T. F. Hilton? So much for the days of including breakfast.

Clearly, I’m not eating here. I’ll head over to Cracker Barrell.

The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
At the CVG DT, As I was saying, $12 voucher and these are the prices. W. T. F. Hilton? So much for the days of including breakfast.

Clearly, Im not eating here. Ill head over to Cracker Barrell.

Unfortunately, that's what they're hoping for - you go elsewhere and they don't have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to credit your F&B benefit.

David
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
An update from when I started this thread, I made it!

It took me 2 years and 10 months from my original post to make Lifetime Diamond. Obviously, the last 18 months during the pandemic have been a little different than normal. I changed my strategy a little and when I had to stay at an expensive hotel or had multiple rooms I stayed at a Hilton which helped me reach 2 million base points. For example. I had 3 rooms at the Hilton Marco Island last Christmas week. I wound up with 825 nights and 13 years of Diamond. This is far fewer nights than I though it would take to make it to 2 million base points but I had multiple room stays during this period at expensive hotels like Waldorfs in Rome, Jerusalem and Park City. During this time I was able to keep my Bonvoy Ambassador status due to lower requirements.

The big benefit I like about Hilton over Marriott is free breakfast for everyone in all of your rooms. I am hoping full breakfast come back soon. Marriott keeps cutting back things. If I book 3 rooms at a Marriott I only get free breakfast for 2 people (again I am assuming the breakfast benefit comes back).

Thank you for all the tips and insight. I am happy to be a member of the Lifetime Diamond club.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:13 am

Do most people make Lifetime Diamond by stay1,000 nights or by earning 2 million

Originally Posted by JB123
It took me 2 years and 10 months from my original post to make Lifetime Diamond. Obviously, the last 18 months during the pandemic have been a little different than normal. I changed my strategy a little and when I had to stay at an expensive hotel or had multiple rooms I stayed at a Hilton which helped me reach 2 million base points. For example. I had 3 rooms at the Hilton Marco Island last Christmas week. I wound up with 825 nights and 13 years of Diamond. This is far fewer nights than I though it would take to make it to 2 million base points but I had multiple room stays during this period at expensive hotels like Waldorfs in Rome, Jerusalem and Park City. During this time I was able to keep my Bonvoy Ambassador status due to lower requirements.

The big benefit I like about Hilton over Marriott is free breakfast for everyone in all of your rooms. I am hoping full breakfast come back soon. Marriott keeps cutting back things. If I book 3 rooms at a Marriott I only get free breakfast for 2 people (again I am assuming the breakfast benefit comes back).

Thank you for all the tips and insight. I am happy to be a member of the Lifetime Diamond club.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:15 am

Do most people make Lifetime Diamond with 1,000 nights or by earning 2 million

[ am just curious if most people make it by nights or points. For me it was clear many years ago I would hit 2 million base points long before 1,000 nights. I am glad Hilton added this because 1,000 nights are a lot.

QUOTE=JB123;33707415]It took me 2 years and 10 months from my original post to make Lifetime Diamond. Obviously, the last 18 months during the pandemic have been a little different than normal. I changed my strategy a little and when I had to stay at an expensive hotel or had multiple rooms I stayed at a Hilton which helped me reach 2 million base points. For example. I had 3 rooms at the Hilton Marco Island last Christmas week. I wound up with 825 nights and 13 years of Diamond. This is far fewer nights than I though it would take to make it to 2 million base points but I had multiple room stays during this period at expensive hotels like Waldorfs in Rome, Jerusalem and Park City. During this time I was able to keep my Bonvoy Ambassador status due to lower requirements.

Thank you for all the tips and insight. I am happy to be a member of the Lifetime Diamond club.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 14, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jimquan
Received my Lifetime Diamond gift. It had the Bose Soundsport earbuds, a leather luggage tag and metal Lifetime Diamond ID Card. On the back of the card is a 'lifetime diamond' tel # starting with area code 844.

Question: Has anyone tried this number? Is it better / more responsive than the Diamond desk?

Jim
Errr...try it and let us know?

Last edited by hotscot; Nov 14, 2021 at 12:12 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Errr...try it and let us know?
What's the point in a forum if a simple off-the-cuff question is met with such passive-aggressiveness?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jeffers
What's the point in a forum if a simple off-the-cuff question is met with such passive-aggressiveness?
I don't even know why people even bother to respond if they have nothing constructive to say.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very happy with my lifetime diamond status. Didn't see any difference when I was still traveling frequently but now that I am in a different roll in the company I work for I hardly ever need hotels anymore, Though still fly a lot but 1 day round trips between the islands. When I do need to stay overnight or if my wife and I take a little vacation still having the diamond status is very nice.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jeffers
Not being passive aggressive in the slightest. Not at all. My apologies if it seems that way.
But it's such an easy thing for the poster to try, and report back. No?
If I had the number I would try it myself but alas...

And his experience may be different from others.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and Sisosig like this.

Last edited by hotscot; Nov 15, 2021 at 6:27 pm
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JB123
[ am just curious if most people make it by nights or points. For me it was clear many years ago I would hit 2 million base points long before 1,000 nights. I am glad Hilton added this because 1,000 nights are a lot.
I don't think it's "most" people. I would guess that international business travelers are more likely to make it by points (because they're more likely to stay often at more expensive properties), while people who don't stay on business but amassed tons of Hilton points from credit card churning (way easier to do back in the Citi Hilton credit card days than it is now) and have done many of their stays as award stays, as well as budget-oriented people (including people who only travel locally on business and whose expense allowances are fairly low), are much more likely to make it on nights if they make it at all.

So it depends on how much you stay at expensive properties, which some people often do while some other people rarely do, which will be the main determinant.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:14 pm

Credit Cards that give points towards Lifetime Diamond?

My apologies if a simple search would do this.

Are there any cards that would give spend points towards LT. Not bonuses.

I currently have Chase Explorer and Sapphire. Their CS has been quite good.

Last edited by hotscot; Nov 21, 2021 at 10:39 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.