1 night short of diamond

Old Dec 7, 14, 11:44 am
Original Poster

1 night short of diamond

Currently a Diamond in HH and it looks like I am going to be either 1 night (or possibly 2 nights) short of the 60 nights required for Diamond next year. I know some plans used to comp you up to the next level if you were very close and already at that status level. Does HH do this or will I need to book one additional stay myself?
Old Dec 7, 14, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jcfontario View Post
Currently a Diamond in HH and it looks like I am going to be either 1 night (or possibly 2 nights) short of the 60 nights required for Diamond next year. I know some plans used to comp you up to the next level if you were very close and already at that status level. Does HH do this or will I need to book one additional stay myself?
If I had ridden on my employer's coattails for 59 nights, I would think 1 night out of my own pocket is a small price to pay for Diamond .. but then, YMMV
Old Dec 7, 14, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by TinDrum View Post
If I had ridden on my employer's coattails for 59 nights, I would think 1 night out of my own pocket is a small price to pay for Diamond .. but then, YMMV
Lol, truth bomb.
Old Dec 7, 14, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TinDrum View Post
An assumption not based on facts.

OP, I would not rely on getting comped the night for status. Could happen but I would not rely on it. Is there a Hilton brand near you that is cheap? You could book one night (money, or points if too much money), go check in and then not stay, unless you want to spend the night in a hotel bed.
Old Dec 7, 14, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Baze;23957349]An assumption not based on facts.

OP, I would not rely on getting comped the night for status. Could happen but I would not rely on it.

Thanks Baze, I was going to point out the same "assumption". Not all of my stays have been on my employers dime. In fact my most expensive stays in Hiltons this year, have been out of my own pocket.

But to get back on topic. I was likely going to look for a low cost night over the holiday season. I just wanted to know if any folks on the board had been comped when close. Your response was appreciated
Old Dec 8, 14, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Gold / Hertz 5* / GE/TSA-Pre✓
Can't answer your specific question on comp of Diamond (my guess is no) - but ...

Curious where you live? Just checked my local properties for a similar scenario - I could do a 1 night stay for $75 on a random night of the week in December. I personally would check this box as a "mileage run" in a heartbeat to keep diamond.
Old Dec 8, 14, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Bite the bullet and pay for this one.

It's one night. Pick a Tuesday or Thursday night at the cheapest property you can find. Just check in, pick up your room key, and go home.

I'm never a huge fan of mileage runs or mattress runs, but in this case, Diamond for $75 is worth it.
Old Dec 8, 14, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post

It's one night. Pick a Tuesday or Thursday night at the cheapest property you can find. Just check in, pick up your room key, and go home.

I'm never a huge fan of mileage runs or mattress runs, but in this case, Diamond for $75 is worth it.

That is my sentiments as well. Its December there has to be at least a few nights of dead hotel occupancy where you can get a night on the cheap.
Old Dec 8, 14, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Depending on how you value your points, award nights work just as well for qualification purposes. Check the redemption rates nearby, including Points+Cash, especially if you're not actually going to stay the night.
Old Dec 9, 14, 1:13 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post

Agree.

Booked a Hilton two blocks away from my apartment yesterday for $77 plus tax for my 30th stay. Stayed the night and had a decent breakfast in the morning and took my two bottles of water home with me.
Old Dec 9, 14, 4:40 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Agree.

Booked a Hilton two blocks away from my apartment yesterday for $77 plus tax for my 30th stay. Stayed the night and had a decent breakfast in the morning and took my two bottles of water home with me.
But 30 won't get it! You need 32 for Diamond.
Old Dec 9, 14, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by nigos View Post
Wut?
Old Dec 9, 14, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by nigos View Post

Incorrect:

ALL ABOUT DIAMOND
30 stays, 60 nights or 120,000 HHonors Base Points
ACHIEVING STATUS

To achieve or retain HHonors Diamond status, you need to earn either:
(1) 30 stays in a calendar year, or
(2) 60 nights in a calendar year, or
(3) 120,000 HHonors Base Points in a calendar year
Old Dec 11, 14, 9:43 am

Programs: US Air Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Delta Silver
You got it...congrats!
Old Dec 11, 14, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Very often the week between Christmas and New Year's sees very low HH rates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: