Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton York (UK) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:06 pm
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Arrow Hilton York (UK) {GBR}

Anyone stayed here? Does it have an exec lounge for HH Golds/Diamonds? I have tried the search facility but nothing found.

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:34 pm

stayed there a couple of years ago, no longe that I found. Got treated well tho, room was smart and reasonable size for a big expensive city and they forgot to bill for the parking. Think we had bkfast in the room and we got a credit towards that. Sorry cant be more use, brain cells dying by the minute...
York is an excellent place imho
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Stayed here a couple of times. No lounge I think. Handy for the centre of York. Fairly standard Hilton otherwise.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:14 am
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks very much. Sounds ok will book the standard rate and hope for Comp breakfast.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diomand, Starward Platinum, Sofitel Gold, BMI Silver
stayed last year - I didn't like it. its an old stakis hotel with little investment from Hilton. They offered me cont breakfast or upgrade. I took upgrade. Room was pritty basic and old - bathroom terriable - im sure the tiles were meant for a kitchen. The room smelled of cigarettes so i asked to be moved.

Got a standard room which was a joke - like a b&b so they spreyed the original room and moved me back and promised breakfast. I put breakfast card on door at night and it never arrived.

This was last year - maybe they have improved but rooms will still be small - dont ask for a suite - they are totaly rubbish and dingey. Ask for one of the 2 rooms with a balcony and a air bath - im told these are much better but not stayed in one.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Lots of terrible reviews for this hotel, so keep expectations low.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:56 pm
obs
Original Poster

Hilton York hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

Had a one night stay at the Hilton York last week. I was an award stay but I did endulge in a light meal so I earn't some points.

On arrival I was directed to an underground car park. A member of staff was waiting and directed us to a parking bay. The car park was quite full and is not cheap at £15 per night. It had 3 rows of parking. A single line on the left, this was for cars leaving later or early in the morning. And 3 rows to the right. On the right you had to park in front of one another. I was in lane 2, so I parked in front of one vehicle. Another car was then parked in front of me blocking me in. Thankfully I did not need the car during the evening so it was not a problem. As I wanted to leave early the next day, I went down to the parking area that evening, and mentioned this to member of staff. He noted my request and stated he would move my car to the left hand side overnight. Whilst in the parking area I noticed the roller shutter door was shut. and that they had cameras. Ten out of ten for security here then

On to the Hotel. On arrival at 1PM our room was not available, so we left our luggage and went out for the day. The hotel lobby and bar/restaurant were very tidy, and overall quite a pleasant atmosphere.There was an outside patio area for the bar which got some sun, but it was surrounded by the inner Four walls of the hotel ,so nothing to look at. On to the room. On arrival we were told our bags had been taken to our room. The hotel was clearly a Hotel that hilton had taken over. The rooms were looking a little bit tired but were functional. I had a family room as the wife and 2 children were with me. There were 2 large double beds and a mini bar in the room. Also waiting were 2x Bottles of Nottage Hill red, 2x bottles of Nottage hill white and a fruit plate. Not to bad as I am only HH gold so that was a bit better than expected.

The bathroom was the biggest disapointment, it was clean but very tired and dated. It reminded me of the old style B & B's you get at a lot of seaside towns, cramped but useable.

On another note the restaurant did a kids eat free menu with any paying adult. The menu was quite good, however they do not start serving until 6.30PM, which was too late for my 2 year old, so we eat out at Cafe Uno around the corner.

Overall York was a nice place to stay. The hotel was clean and tidy in the main areas, but the rooms a little dated. The hotel does not have a lounge, but does have internet access in the lobby, and from the room, both at a charge. I would consider using it again for a free night as 25000 points is quite reasonable for a UK Hilton.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:47 am
SST

How did you find getting around York from the hotel? Is it walking distance to reasonable restaurants, night spots, and shopping? Any tips for outstanding food? Are you gold or diamond, and did you get recognition and an upgrade, or breakfasts? Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:41 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by SST
How did you find getting around York from the hotel? Is it walking distance to reasonable restaurants, night spots, and shopping? Any tips for outstanding food? Are you gold or diamond, and did you get recognition and an upgrade, or breakfasts? Thanks!
The Hilton York is very centrally situated and you can walk to anywhere in York quite easily from the hotel. Hotel is okay, but like a lot of UK Hiltons, doesn't have an Executive Lounge or air conditioned bedrooms, which puts me off in the summer months. For the past couple of weeks, it's been quite warm and humid in the UK, including the north of England! It's not very pleasant in hotel rooms without air conditioning in my opinion. I usuallly book UK special rates including breakfast and dinner on the first night, which are usually good deals. I usually find UK Hiltons aren't very generous with the upgrades and free breakfasts even for golds and diamonds. Sometimes a botte of wine is provided, which is nice, but I've given up asking if nothing is given. There are exceptions in the better hotels such as Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow and several in London.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:15 pm
obs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjd
The Hilton York is very centrally situated and you can walk to anywhere in York quite easily from the hotel. Hotel is okay, but like a lot of UK Hiltons, doesn't have an Executive Lounge or air conditioned bedrooms, which puts me off in the summer months. For the past couple of weeks, it's been quite warm and humid in the UK, including the north of England! It's not very pleasant in hotel rooms without air conditioning in my opinion. I usuallly book UK special rates including breakfast and dinner on the first night, which are usually good deals. I usually find UK Hiltons aren't very generous with the upgrades and free breakfasts even for golds and diamonds. Sometimes a botte of wine is provided, which is nice, but I've given up asking if nothing is given. There are exceptions in the better hotels such as Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow and several in London.
Have to agree with the above. The hotel is very close to attractions and restaurants being in the centre of town. I enjoyed the free wine and fruit and was given a castle view room. But nothing special about the hotel other than its location.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I think the place is a pit

This April the room was shabby. The hotel was under renovation and the power went off, which killed the high speed internet for two days. On Sunday when we checked in the desk did not bother to tell us that we needed a reservation if we expected to eat there as the dining room was nearly booked. When we checked out they tried to charge us the rack rate, rather than rate than was confirmed. They claimed that we had been notified that our credit card had not gone through when we booked a saver rate over the internet, even though they confirmed the reservation. As a diamond, I did get free water, but nothing else. No upgrade or free breakfast. The location is ok as York is basically a small town, but it is a cab ride from the rail station.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:21 pm
obs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
This April the room was shabby. The hotel was under renovation and the power went off, which killed the high speed internet for two days. On Sunday when we checked in the desk did not bother to tell us that we needed a reservation if we expected to eat there as the dining room was nearly booked. When we checked out they tried to charge us the rack rate, rather than rate than was confirmed. They claimed that we had been notified that our credit card had not gone through when we booked a saver rate over the internet, even though they confirmed the reservation. As a diamond, I did get free water, but nothing else. No upgrade or free breakfast. The location is ok as York is basically a small town, but it is a cab ride from the rail station.
Sounds like you got a really bad deal, especially as a Diamond. Have to say that it only took us 10 minutes to walk to the railway station, not good if you have heavy bags though.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:28 pm
SST

The hotel is a little too far from the railway station if you have heavy bags; just take a cab. Ours was £4. On the other hand, pre-book a cab for your return with the desk, as there are none hanging about outside when you go to leave.

The hotel is not exactly a wonderful joy. It IS, however, pretty tolerable as the location is excellent in town, across from Clifford's Tower, which is like the remains of a castle. The castle museum is across the way (it's excellent and well worth the couple hours it takes to tour it); York itself is full of decent shopping and a lot of interesting history.

We got a decent bedroom, probably not renovated, but in good shape, and as a Diamond, a decent breakfast was included (note: we had to ask). A little sad that there are only 6 television channels, but we didn't do much late night watching anyway, as the town is abuzz in the evenings. Bathroom was a little tired, with lousy water pressure. However, everything was clean, and except for the noisy housekeeping staff who apparently couldn't imagine anyone sleeping beyond 8am, we were satisfied.

The key here is that the hotel is wonderfully located for all kinds of sightseeing. It's a bit of a ripoff as a category 5, but we snuck in under the wire and got the old category 3 freebie certificate issued, so it was a reasonable value. I would stay here again on my next visit to York, which will probably get scheduled in the next few years; the north of England is incredibly interesting.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:02 pm
SST

Note: (written a couple days later, after I've returned and can properly reflect on my trip to York)----

For those of you familiar with the Kensington Hilton, the York hotel was furnished and outfitted in about the same manner: light wood trim, multiple fire doors in the halls, slow inadequate elevators, and a bar which is an afterthought. I already mentioned the piddling water pressure in the shower. The car park was £12 a day (we didn't have a car, and there is really no reason why you would want one for the days you are going to spend in the city itself). As a Diamond, I had to ask for breakfast, but they came through with it.

On the positive side, the location is nifty mostly because York is so bite-sized. You can walk anywhere in town in about 20 minutes.

We visited Castle Howard by inquiring at the Train station tourist office and getting a public bus schedule. For about £6 rt, you travel out at 10:10 on Saturday am, and have three possible buses back. They all pickup/dropoff right in front of the castle carpark. It's well worth a visit; we were two of about 10 people visiting on that Saturday; everyone else on the bus was headed somewhere locally (Be sure to ask the driver for a "Heritage Pass" and you get a pound or so off the admission) (Note: stand at the Station bus stop five minutes early in order to GET A SEAT. You don't want to stand the 30 minutes out to the castle.....)

The minster is pretty interesting; we didn't go down into the catacombs. There's superb cider available at a pub called the Last Drop Inn, just north of the Shambles. Betty's tea house has pretty good lunches in addition to teas. My wife liked the Little Betty's better than "real" Betty's. I slipped into a pub for the football match, so we'll have to trust her. And DO have some of the superb Yorkshire Wensleydale cheeses while you're in town; small wedges are available in the Market area for about £1.20.

All in all, the trip to York and the Hilton York were incredibly satisfying--- good train service up from MAN airport, too, so the whole thing went off like clockwork. Have a good trip and let us know what you thought, too!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
York (UK) Marriott or Hilton?

I'll be staying in York (UK) and notice that they have both a Marriott, located just outside of town, and a Hilton in the city.
I checked to see if anyone had posted a preference, but no success.
I'm "gold" in both Marriott & Hilton and the advance payment is nearly the same, however if anyone has stayed at these properties and has a preference I'd like to hear it.
THXs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.