Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:40 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by residentx
Cookies in a bag with string? I think they've now replaced chef's two apples. If only they didn't have dried fruit in!
Yes. Haha! Mrs NoY refuses to eat them, as they have "nasty" dried fruit in them. More for me
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:45 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Service in the Exec Lounge is not great, to be honest, with the guy in particular appearing to have no customer service skills at all & looks like he would rather be somewhere else.
It remains a pleasant space though & the range of drinks is perfectly fine. The canapés have decreased in quality it seems.
However the breakfast remains perhaps the best UK Hilton offering & the service in there is exemplary compared to any other I can recall.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Service in the Exec Lounge is not great, to be honest, with the guy in particular appearing to have no customer service skills at all & looks like he would rather be somewhere else.
It remains a pleasant space though & the range of drinks is perfectly fine. The canapés have decreased in quality it seems.
However the breakfast remains perhaps the best UK Hilton offering & the service in there is exemplary compared to any other I can recall.
it depends what your comparator is to be fair.

Compared to every other Uk Hilton lounge I have visited in tne last 18 months with the possible exception of the Hilton Tower Bridge, the Bankside is about the best. Whilst I think that service in many other Lounges e.g. Hilton Metropole London, Metropole Birmingham, Doubletree Tower Bridge, Desnsgate Manchester, Hilton Islington, Hilton T4, Hilton Park Lane etc. Is too poor, you have by UK and US standards to set the bar pretty high to be better than Bankside for all its imperfections.

Obviously in cheap staffing locations like Asia and the Middle East service is obviously better given a fair comparison against other London or UK Hilton’s Bankside is leaps and bounds ahead.

I am back myself tomorrow and note that I already seem upgraded to a one bed suite, so perhaps there is something to my hypothesis that they look after regular guests well here.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by NoY
I know exactly the guy you mean, I think I mentioned it in one of my reports a while back.....shame!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:31 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by wizla
I know exactly the guy you mean, I think I mentioned it in one of my reports a while back.....shame!
Indeed, its a shame because when the Manager is there (first time we saw him), service (from him) is great, pro-active & friendly, just like last night ^
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:42 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

Compared to every other Uk Hilton lounge I have visited in tne last 18 months with the possible exception of the Hilton Tower Bridge, the Bankside is about the best. Whilst I think that service in many other Lounges e.g. Hilton Metropole London, Metropole Birmingham, Doubletree Tower Bridge, Desnsgate Manchester, Hilton Islington, Hilton T4, Hilton Park Lane etc. Is too poor, you have by UK and US standards to set the bar pretty high to be better than Bankside for all its imperfections.

Obviously in cheap staffing locations like Asia and the Middle East service is obviously better given a fair comparison against other London or UK Hilton’s Bankside is leaps and bounds ahead.

I am back myself tomorrow and note that I already seem upgraded to a one bed suite, so perhaps there is something to my hypothesis that they look after regular guests well here.
My comparator is good service vs not so good/bad service. Simple as that. Its about attitude/approach/professionalism for me. I too have experienced each of the lounges you refer to (except Islington) but I treat each one on their own merits & do not use them as comparators, neither do I use the Asian/ME offerings as such.
As a regular guest I have never been upgraded & indeed do not particularly take issue with this as I am out & about for 90% of the day every day & the standard rooms are excellent here.
The hotel remains my no.1 choice in London & indeed I have two more stays already booked
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoY
My comparator is good service vs not so good/bad service. Simple as that. Its about attitude/approach/professionalism for me. I too have experienced each of the lounges you refer to (except Islington) but I treat each one on their own merits & do not use them as comparators, neither do I use the Asian/ME offerings as such.
As a regular guest I have never been upgraded & indeed do not particularly take issue with this as I am out & about for 90% of the day every day & the standard rooms are excellent here.
The hotel remains my no.1 choice in London & indeed I have two more stays already booked
I think the examples of other lounges that Hilton offers frame my expectations, much like my experience of Marriot, RC or IC Lounges frame my expectations for those brands. I have come to expect little real "service" in Hilton Lounges as that seems to be the norm. What I do appreciate at Bankside is that they keep the place clean and not the utter pigsty that many other UK Hilton lounges end up in, Maybe I have now been conditioned not to expect too much?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

Compared to every other Uk Hilton lounge I have visited in tne last 18 months with the possible exception of the Hilton Tower Bridge, the Bankside is about the best. ....
I agree wholeheartedly.
Bankside really is a very good hotel (and exec lounge) in comparison with other UK (& US) hiltons. There may be the odd issue here and there... it may be a bit less special than it once was in spots, but overall it remains a top property.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:35 pm

I had a leisure stay here on Sunday, actually got to use the lounge and other facilities.

I was, as usual these days, preupgraded to a one bed suite. I arrived about 5.30 and the guy on reception was disinterested and told me my room was still dirty that I’d chosen online. No welcome cava offered or a diamond welcome. Told me I would only have breakfast in the lounge and the restaurant was for ‘paying guests’. Off to my other, same category, room and I was a little miffed. A one bedroom suite overlooking the roof garden with tiny windows, the only thing making it a suite was a wall.

My key card didn’t work in the lounge door, so had to go and get that changed. Alfonso provided a warm welcome and the cava flowed until I changed to red wine, all served at my table. The lounge was busy with families being the long weekend but all were well behaved. Alternative beers and other options were made available to guests, with peroni being the default. Snacks were sausage rolls and quiche - along with the usual cold cuts, cheese and breads. At 8.30pm I said goodnight and went out into the city.

No turn down or welcome gift this time, but another good sleep on the Bankside’s soft linen. The shower in this room was rubbish, kept on falling down and is over the bath. Temperature was also very inconsistent.

Down for breakfast and the usual great welcome in Oxbo and no mention of an additional charge for diamonds. Everything was well stocked, my eggs were brought to the table in minutes and a good flow of filtered chilled water. It’s still one of the best Hilton breakfasts in London.

Checked out for two nights at home before back on Thursday.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by residentx
I had a leisure stay here on Sunday, actually got to use the lounge and other facilities.

I was, as usual these days, preupgraded to a one bed suite. I arrived about 5.30 and the guy on reception was disinterested and told me my room was still dirty that I’d chosen online. No welcome cava offered or a diamond welcome. Told me I would only have breakfast in the lounge and the restaurant was for ‘paying guests’. Off to my other, same category, room and I was a little miffed. A one bedroom suite overlooking the roof garden with tiny windows, the only thing making it a suite was a wall.

My key card didn’t work in the lounge door, so had to go and get that changed. Alfonso provided a warm welcome and the cava flowed until I changed to red wine, all served at my table. The lounge was busy with families being the long weekend but all were well behaved. Alternative beers and other options were made available to guests, with peroni being the default. Snacks were sausage rolls and quiche - along with the usual cold cuts, cheese and breads. At 8.30pm I said goodnight and went out into the city.

No turn down or welcome gift this time, but another good sleep on the Bankside’s soft linen. The shower in this room was rubbish, kept on falling down and is over the bath. Temperature was also very inconsistent.

Down for breakfast and the usual great welcome in Oxbo and no mention of an additional charge for diamonds. Everything was well stocked, my eggs were brought to the table in minutes and a good flow of filtered chilled water. It’s still one of the best Hilton breakfasts in London.

Checked out for two nights at home before back on Thursday.
I have noticed that turndown is quite random these days.

The current welcome gift is some weird popcorn mix, you didn't miss much.

I have found upgrades are good at weekends and quieter times, but midweek can be quite difficult to score a good room, perhaps as there are so many diamonds.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:40 am

I’ve had cookies, popcorn and chocolate recently. I think the room change threw the service off here. I don’t need it, but it’s still an inconsistency. Which is what this hotel was all about.

The things that matter were still right though, so will continue to frequent. Weekend or not, my upgrades are almost certain these days.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, KF Elite Gold, GHA Black
For a first timer in London, which is a better choice? Bankside or TB? If both are about the same rate (Bankside a slight cheaper).
Old May 7, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I will be staying here later this month and look forward to checking it out. In terms of the immediate previous poster I think the TB location is more central for a first timer.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by webbyboy
For a first timer in London, which is a better choice? Bankside or TB? If both are about the same rate (Bankside a slight cheaper).
Most people would say Bankside but I’m still on the fence....... they are both great, let’s look at the key areas

ROOMS- Bankside wins here on style but not necessarily views, beds slightly more comfy too, suites are amazing....Tb are nice too and can have better views but Bankside takes the crown.

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE - I actually prefer Tb myself, the canapés are better, I love the outside terrace with views over the shard, yes it’s a lot smaller than Bankside but less noisy ......Bankside can be a bit echoing.
and the bass from the function room can vibrate sometimes....... I love the fire pits and it’s posh but Tb wins it for me.

BREAKFAST - the hot food is better at Tb as it’s served in Jamie’s Italian but overall Bankside wins here with its amazing pastries and awesome honey nut granola......... Tb is good but Bankside is great.

SERVICE- hard to call but I feel Bankside has the edge, don’t know why...it just does....oh and has valet parking, at Tb it’s self park and a ten min walk.

UPGRADES - Tb, nearly always to executive level......Bankside not so but when they do the suite upgrades are great.

CONCLUSION - of course all my comments are only my opinion, others may not agree but personally if they were the same price I would probably choose Tb, I feel the location is better too.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by wizla
Most people would say Bankside but I’m still on the fence....... they are both great, let’s look at the key areas

ROOMS- Bankside wins here on style but not necessarily views, beds slightly more comfy too, suites are amazing....Tb are nice too and can have better views but Bankside takes the crown.

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE - I actually prefer Tb myself, the canapés are better, I love the outside terrace with views over the shard, yes it’s a lot smaller than Bankside but less noisy ......Bankside can be a bit echoing.
and the bass from the function room can vibrate sometimes....... I love the fire pits and it’s posh but Tb wins it for me.

BREAKFAST - the hot food is better at Tb as it’s served in Jamie’s Italian but overall Bankside wins here with its amazing pastries and awesome honey nut granola......... Tb is good but Bankside is great.

SERVICE- hard to call but I feel Bankside has the edge, don’t know why...it just does....oh and has valet parking, at Tb it’s self park and a ten min walk.

UPGRADES - Tb, nearly always to executive level......Bankside not so but when they do the suite upgrades are great.

CONCLUSION - of course all my comments are only my opinion, others may not agree but personally if they were the same price I would probably choose Tb, I feel the location is better too.
I completely agree with wizla's assessment. It's a toss-up between these hotels, each with its pros and cons. TB may have a bit more life on its doorstep, but Bankside is a very enjoyable walk from lots of central London sites. These days, I choose on price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.