Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Old Oct 3, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bon Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass - quit after 13 years)
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Thanks.

I guess part of why I am annoyed is that almost every other hotel I have a stayed at either:
1) gives you a welcome letter with this info
2) has the hours on the card they give you
During out stay we got a letter with the printed times.
Just ask for one when you pass at reception if they forgot to give it to you.
Often in the evenings, food finishes 30 min before alcohol.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by est-gratuite View Post
Yes, they do.
Can't remember if it was in the closets (there were 2 closets in our room) or in a space somewhere below the TV. Check the various drawers under the TV if you can't find it in either of the closets.
There is a door in the wall by the mirror right by the door. In these lower room types it isn't obvious but you will find the safe in there. It looks a little more like a full length decorative panel than a door. I had the same experience on my first stay before I realised where it was located. A call down to reception would also yield assistance.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
There is a door in the wall by the mirror right by the door. In these lower room types it isn't obvious but you will find the safe in there. It looks a little more like a full length decorative panel than a door. I had the same experience on my first stay before I realised where it was located. A call down to reception would also yield assistance.
I think the dark wood veneer has a long recessed groove, that's the handle to the cupboard door.
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think the dark wood veneer has a long recessed groove, that's the handle to the cupboard door.
That's exactly as I remember it. The panel adjacent to the door (on the bathroom side) has a narrow groove on the edge for most of its length. In there is the safe (and I think where you'll also find slippers, if I recall correctly).

Hopefully the wrinkles described by recent posters will iron themselves out. Sometimes an initial disappointment can colour subsequent experience.

The breakfast in Bankside is great - but I can't remember whether it runs 'til 1030 or 11 during the week (I think it's 11 at weekends). If you do eat in the lounge, remember that you can ask the staff for egg dishes and they'll bring it to you from the restaurant without charge. And don't forget breakfast-dessert... yogurt, pear/apple compote, and a shovelful of the epic granola... a must to round-off brekkie! Hope you enjoy.
wizla likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader View Post
That's exactly as I remember it. The panel adjacent to the door (on the bathroom side) has a narrow groove on the edge for most of its length. In there is the safe (and I think where you'll also find slippers, if I recall correctly).
I don't use the in-room safe normally (I don't go around with valuables) so the only reason I know about this is that this cupboard also has the iron and ironing board in it. Because the panel is so flat it seems an implausible place for all of this, but this is where it is.

Breakfast is definitely served in OXBO 06:30 hrs to 11:00 hrs, 7 days a week. I can't think of a good reason for taking it in the lounge.
MoodyB and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It does but it's not really dark wood more like limed oak. The full length nature of the recess also appears slightly decorative it is a mirror image of the wardrobe the other side of the bathroom door but it just isn't intuitive that it is another cupboard. Unless I am really thick.

In the better rooms the layout is more obvious being clearly part of a continuous run of wardrobe doors
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Yep....exactly the same here.
Old Oct 3, 19, 6:43 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Ah thank you and the other people who said similar things. The safe is indeed in there and it was not at all obvious.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:52 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Had breakfast in the restaurant this morning. It could have been a lot better. I ordered off the menu (Eggs Bennie) and got my coffee (which was pretty horrible - did I miss the memo about coffee in the UK getting totally undrinkably bitter?) after I got the Eggs Bennie. Maybe I just had a bad server, but the hotel seems to be just off. (Or maybe I got up on the wrong side of bed this month.)
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Had breakfast in the restaurant this morning. It could have been a lot better. I ordered off the menu (Eggs Bennie) and got my coffee (which was pretty horrible - did I miss the memo about coffee in the UK getting totally undrinkably bitter?) after I got the Eggs Bennie. Maybe I just had a bad server, but the hotel seems to be just off. (Or maybe I got up on the wrong side of bed this month.)
Lol hopefully you got up on the wrong side of the bed. This is my favourite property in London. Have always had the best experiences at this hotel. I will be back next week. Iíll report my findings.
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Or maybe I got up on the wrong side of bed this month.
I feel like you're having such bad luck! This has happened to me a few times with hotels that other people love so I always try for a second chance.

Tbh, I don't get great table service in the restaurant for breakfast. Always go straight for the buffet. I was disappointed with the chorizo dish from the menu. It was like shavings of chorizo? I must have a photo somewhere.

Overall, I find this hotel a bit impersonal and hands off which I tend to appreciate but it has everything I want (including well priced last minute swimsuits at the pool in an array of sizes which came in handy last weekend for me)

I hope your stay gets better! If you're into cocktails, the staff at the distillery bar are fabulous in a time of need
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The staff just go to coffee machines at the back of the restaurant which you can access yourself. I go and make my own so I can put multiple expressos in with a cappuccino. Similarly with tea so I can pop in more than one teabag. Not making excuses for them they should be able to take an instruction but I think the staff to diner ratio is quite low and I would always make my own beverages where this is made as easy as it is at OXBO.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:27 am
stc

Originally Posted by est-gratuite View Post
During out stay we got a letter with the printed times.
Just ask for one when you pass at reception if they forgot to give it to you.
Often in the evenings, food finishes 30 min before alcohol.
So, I asked about this (paper / card with hours) at checkout. The agent said they don't have that as they want to make it more personal by having the check-in agent go over it with you. ... I pointed out that didn't happen in my case.
Old Oct 4, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
The staff just go to coffee machines at the back of the restaurant which you can access yourself. I go and make my own so I can put multiple expressos in with a cappuccino. Similarly with tea so I can pop in more than one teabag. Not making excuses for them they should be able to take an instruction but I think the staff to diner ratio is quite low and I would always make my own beverages where this is made as easy as it is at OXBO.
This is sound advice... don't let anyone else choose how you have your coffee! I make an americano with an extra espresso shot when staying at Bankside, but each to their own.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:57 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader View Post
This is sound advice... don't let anyone else choose how you have your coffee! I make an americano with an extra espresso shot when staying at Bankside, but each to their own.
Iím the same,I actually prefer to make my own too, I generally have a cappuccino with an extra expresso shot as I find nine times out of ten those machines do not make it strong enough ( except nespresso systems ) , my lady takes tea at breakfast time and it nearly always arrives with one tea bag and tepid
Definitely prefer to get it myself, plus I like to finish with coffee rather than start, during breakfast I drink mineral water.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: